Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bringing Your Bike Inside Stores Coffee Shops Etc

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bringing Your Bike Inside Stores Coffee Shops Etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 03:37 PM
bghill1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mos6502
What is ignorant or intolerant about having a bike taking up space and possibly being a hazard to other people - inside of a space where bicycles generally aren't present?
I bet a cyclist with their bike inside a store would be less of a hazard than the mom (or dad) pushing a shopping cart around the store with 4 sceaming kids hanging off of it.
Old 05-29-14, 10:39 PM
cyclebee
I heart moonsaddle

Bikes: Trek, redline, giant, schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
I'm going to go another route and say buy a $400 beater.
Lol I bought an old le tour for 100 with 100 in upgrades rides very smooth now for 200 bucks makes a great task bike
Old 05-29-14, 10:51 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bghill1
I bet a cyclist with their bike inside a store would be less of a hazard than the mom (or dad) pushing a shopping cart around the store with 4 sceaming kids hanging off of it.
Agreed. Bikes are a lot narrower than shopping carts, too. Should be more suitable in the grocery store aisles.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-30-14, 07:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This thread brings up the question of using drive in lanes at the bank. So far when I have, I get no comment.

However I am prepared to respond if told not to use the drive up. I will say that you have no bike parking, so if I cant use the drive up machines, may I bring my $2200 bike in the bank hallway where I can keep it from being stolen?
Old 05-30-14, 07:26 AM
rberriz

Bikes: 2015 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
This thread brings up the question of using drive in lanes at the bank. So far when I have, I get no comment.

However I am prepared to respond if told not to use the drive up. I will say that you have no bike parking, so if I cant use the drive up machines, may I bring my $2200 bike in the bank hallway where I can keep it from being stolen?
I have been denied service when riding through drive ups because they say its a liability for them to have people on bikes. (But oddly motorcycles dont get this treatment)
Forgiveness > Permission
Old 05-30-14, 07:47 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a personal experience that taught me a lot about leaving bikes outside: I was at a coffee shop in Rochester in the Park Ave. area, sitting against the window. Outside, directly in front of me, someone had leaned their bike against the window. I watched as someone walked across the parking lot, up to the bike, jumped on it and road off. Immediately someone lept up from behind me in the coffee shop and sprinted outside but they returned a couple of minutes later. They were too late. I have a really light and small coil lock that I would use if leaving it outside in sketchy areas, but still only for a couple of minutes. I admit that in rural areas I'll often stop mid ride for a snack and drink and leave the bike unlocked outside for a couple of minutes, but I'd be shocked if someone jacked it in that small amount of time in those areas.

BTW, it's a pity you have to rub shoulders with those dirty hippies in Whole Foods
'
Old 05-30-14, 08:27 AM
Dave Horne

Bikes: Van Nicholas (Titanium) Deveron, Pinion 18 speed, Gates belt, disc brakes; Brompton - 5 speed Sturmey-Archer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel compelled to add more information on the 'built in wheel lock' that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Actually they're called ring locks.

The key enters from one side and on the other side of the lock you can if you wish, insert a cable that's made specifically for that lock. You don't have to buy the same make cable as the lock as there are after market cables that fit into the provided slot.

I would think for the few minutes you're in the coffee shop a ring lock, with or without a cable attached, would deter most thieves.

I'll provide a link. Defender*-*axa-stenman
Old 05-30-14, 09:19 AM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think if you don't lock it to an immovable object, a bike thief would grab the bike and throw it in the back of a truck. And before you say that would never happen, I once had a boss who told me of locking his bike up to a freestanding bike rack at University, and someone came along with big white cargo truck and threw the whole rack of bikes in the back. In broad daylight. No one got the plate number, and in a big city, its almost impossible to track without one.
Old 05-30-14, 09:55 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by rberriz
I have been denied service when riding through drive ups because they say its a liability for them to have people on bikes. (But oddly motorcycles dont get this treatment)
Forgiveness > Permission
I haven't used a drive-thru service on my bike, but if I do and am denied service for whatever reason, I will never go back to that business. Those drive-thru ATMs are nice - they won't complain.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-30-14, 11:00 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you can afford a $7500 bike, you can afford a $30 moka pot.
Old 05-30-14, 11:27 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I doubt it would fly at my Whole Foods. If everyone brought their bike in, there would be no way for people to leave the store, because all the exits would be blocked. We've got about 70 bike parking spaces outside, and an abundance of poles. They'd tell you to park outside. But you can leave your panniers at customer service.

We have a couple of coffeeshops with indoor bike parking.

I say, get a lock or bring a friend to watch it for you.

Not all stores will have a problem, but better safe than sorry.
Old 05-30-14, 12:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You should be able to sit in an Outside Table at the Cafe, and have your bike locked to something, within line of sight by now.
Old 05-30-14, 12:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by bghill1
Did you ever consider that the OP may want to stop for a coffee or pick up some groceries AFTER his ride or race?
Doncha know that most owners of $7500 bikes take them back and forth to the rides or races on a bike rack on their SUV?
Old 05-30-14, 12:51 PM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do riders of $7,500 bikes carry Grey Poupon in their jersey pockets?
Old 05-30-14, 12:56 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
I wonder if it is OK to take a $7500 bike into Fancy-Dancy jewelry stores in order to shop for appropriate jewelry and/or a watch that matches the bling factor of the bike?
Old 05-30-14, 01:06 PM
cwar

Bikes: BH RC1, Bianchi Volpe, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I often commute to work on my nicer bike or take the long way to work so I bring my nicer bike. Often, if I leave the office to grab lunch and take my bike I'll bring my bike into the restaurant/store, but I think you have to use some common sense. For example, I often order a sandwich to go from a local deli. It's not a nice place, but they have good food. I'll bring my bike in while I grab my sandwich and they don't mind a bit. It just depends on how busy the place is and how nice it is. Personally, I would not bring my bike into Whole Foods. Just my $.02.
Old 05-30-14, 01:35 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by jade408
I doubt it would fly at my Whole Foods. If everyone brought their bike in, there would be no way for people to leave the store, because all the exits would be blocked. We've got about 70 bike parking spaces outside, and an abundance of poles. They'd tell you to park outside. But you can leave your panniers at customer service.
I doubt many would ride to Whole Foods to begin with. The WF that I used to live near had its parking lot full of nice, expensive cars and SUVs.

Old 05-30-14, 01:40 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
In my, and other like-minded, considerate, people's eyes, and I see there is agreement amongst many.

Not wanting bicycles inside a business that is not designed for such behaviour is not ignorant or intolerant.
What? I thought anybody who doesn't make their world bend to conform to my whims was ignorant and intolerant.
Old 05-30-14, 02:01 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I doubt many would ride to Whole Foods to begin with. The WF that I used to live near had its parking lot full of nice, expensive cars and SUVs.
I know my Whole Foods is a little different than other stores. We've got both fancy cars, normal cars and "hippie" cars. But it opened with about 30 spots, and within a few weeks of opening they had to double the bike parking due to demand. I have never seen the bike parking less than half full. On the weekend it is tough to get a spot in the bike rack.

Trader Joes has about 20-25 spots too. Very popular with trailers and the long tail bikes (the TJs at least). That store has a higher fancy car to normal car ratio.
Old 05-30-14, 02:04 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by jade408
I know my Whole Foods is a little different than other stores. We've got both fancy cars, normal cars and "hippie" cars. But it opened with about 30 spots, and within a few weeks of opening they had to double the bike parking due to demand. I have never seen the bike parking less than half full. On the weekend it is tough to get a spot in the bike rack.

Trader Joes has about 20-25 spots too. Very popular with trailers and the long tail bikes (the TJs at least). That store has a higher fancy car to normal car ratio.
Yeah, it probably depends upon the neighbourhood, too. Now this is a bit off, but when I have a choice, I usually go to TJ's (or PCC) rather than WF. It may just be me, though.

Old 05-30-14, 09:49 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Is this thread about watches or bicycles?
Neither, it is about how much money they spent on their toys. I nice little humble brag for all the interwebcitizens to ooh and aah.
Old 05-30-14, 10:01 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I'd split the difference and get a nice 1200-1600 dollar bike. Then get an easily removable seat post bike rack. When going shopping... add the rack and a lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rearrack.jpg (89.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-31-14, 02:13 PM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I'd split the difference and get a nice 1200-1600 dollar bike. Then get an easily removable seat post bike rack. When going shopping... add the rack and a lock.
I don't have a fancy bike, but I have a rack. If I have to run to the store I just slide a basket on, or panniers and the New York lock with cable. If there's no bike rack and no place to tie up I wheel the bike in and ask 'is it ok to bring the bike in' or ' do you have a place I can park this? There's no racks outside'.

I haven't been turned down yet.
Old 05-31-14, 03:07 PM
Orchestra

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to take my bike into Safeway today, I originally planned to lock it outside but they didn't have a bike rack located in the front of the store and all the poles were too short to lock up to. So I simply strolled it in grabbed what I needed to grab and left. I was prepared to be told to park it outside but other then a few looks no one gave me any issues.
Old 05-31-14, 03:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I know one of the guys at Safeway doing the restocking overnight,

they only let him bring is Bike in after he had 1st one stolen while doing his job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.