Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone using the B67 Brooks saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 09:10 AM
elizwlsn

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp 2006, Diamondback Ascent Ex 1989

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in desperate need of a new saddle and have heard great things about the Brooks B17. When I went to look at them online Amazon had the Brooks B67 too with springs. It looks so comfy but anyone have one that can give me some feedback?
Old 05-19-16, 09:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Wallingford Bike. They probably sell more Brooks saddles than anybody and they'll take it back if you don't like it.
Old 05-19-16, 09:43 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I believe that the B17 with springs is called the Brooks Champion Flyer

Brooks Champion Flyer | wallbike.com

The B-67 is a wider saddle for upright riding.
Likes For GerryinHouston:
Old 05-19-16, 09:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Brooks has been around a lot longer than the internet .. I have a Brooks I bought in 1974, its still good.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 05-19-16, 10:23 AM
elizwlsn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
I believe that the B17 with springs is called the Brooks Champion Flyer

Brooks Champion Flyer | wallbike.com

The B-67 is a wider saddle for upright riding.
So for touring and commuting on my hybrid Sirrus Comp with flat bars? Seems I could go either way. It has a road bike saddle on it now that it came with and it's so painful to ride. I've never had a saddle that hurts so much.
Old 05-19-16, 10:33 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by elizwlsn
So for touring and commuting on my hybrid Sirrus Comp with flat bars? Seems I could go either way. It has a road bike saddle on it now that it came with and it's so painful to ride. I've never had a saddle that hurts so much.
I have a much heftier Brooks saddle with springs(B190) than the B67 and it is a godsend for ending saddle pain. I use it on my Giant Toughroad hybrid, so I am regularly in the 60 to 45 degree angle, not the 90 to 65 degree upright angle that my saddle would also work very well in.

The only thing you will need to concentrate on with it, is trying to work out how much you will sag the springs, so that you don't have the nose of your saddle set too high or too low.
Old 05-19-16, 11:10 AM
elizwlsn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I have a much heftier Brooks saddle with springs(B190) than the B67 and it is a godsend for ending saddle pain. I use it on my Giant Toughroad hybrid, so I am regularly in the 60 to 45 degree angle, not the 90 to 65 degree upright angle that my saddle would also work very well in.

The only thing you will need to concentrate on with it, is trying to work out how much you will sag the springs, so that you don't have the nose of your saddle set too high or too low.
Very helpful!
Old 05-19-16, 01:42 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I have a B-66 (close cousin to the B-67) on my Superbe. As noted, it's designed for an upright riding position, and for that it works very well. If you have dropped handlebars you probably want something different. I use Brooks Professional saddles for those bikes and have no complaints. As noted above, the Brooks Flyer looks to be a B-17 with springs, but I've never tried it and so can't comment beyond that.
Old 05-19-16, 01:51 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would say that the B17 is narrower, suited more for a road bike than a hybrid (I bought it for my Trek Verve 2 which is a very upright hybrid and then found out that for the tail pain in longer distances I prefer a less upright position (very much less, so I got a new stem for my Verve 2) and for the burning sensation (developed at longer distance riding -20+ mi-) a saddle with no padding). Then I found that I need a drop bar bike for the pins and needles in my fingers and ended up with the B17 on the Novara Randonee.

The Randonee's saddle lives on the Trek, happily, as it is my short distance, 'round town bike.

Get the B67 if you think you will keep the upright stance. Get the B17 if you recognize any of the other symptoms I described above.

Keep in mind, the tailbone pain comes from being upright for some distance and requires you to rotate your pelvis forward to a more aggressive stance.
Old 05-19-16, 01:52 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
the most comfy leather saddle that I have used/owned is a Giles Berthoud Aravis (I have this on my Surly LHT) .... comfort from day 1 ... actually it's the most comfy saddle even compared to saddles that are not leather (I've had many) I have my bar height similar to my saddle height

I have a Brooks B15 narrow champion on my daily commuter .... it's fine but not for very long distances.(i.e I would not want to ride 150 miles in one sitting on it)

I'm seriously thinking of getting another Aravis for my daily bike .... not cheap though

Last edited by dim; 05-19-16 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 02:12 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The wider Brooks saddles (B66, B67, B72, B73, B135, B18, B190) are intended for upright riding, and are Brooks' "City & Heavy Duty" line
The medium-width Brooks saddles (C17, B17, Flyer, Conquest) are intended for semi-upright riding and are in Brooks' "Touring & Trekking" line
The narrow Brooks saddles (B17 narrow, B15, Swift, Colt, Team Pro, C15, C13) are intended for aggressive and/or drop bar riding, and are in Brooks' "Road & MTB" line.

Personally, I use a B17 on two of my drop-bar bikes, a Team Pro on another drop-bar bike, and a Flyer on my drop-bar touring bike and on my Jones-bar fat bike. I don't feel like the B17 is too wide for use with drop bars, but I do have my bars relatively high (tops level with saddle) and I'm a large guy (6'1" #225 ).
Old 05-19-16, 03:43 PM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Brooks B17 Imperial. Had it for a few years. Super comfortable and molded to the shape of my butt. The "Imperial" is the version that has a chunk cut out in the center to help your sensitive parts. Works wonders with my chronic PVPS (post vasectomy pain syndrome). Moral of the story: don't mess with nature, or you may have to spend $130 on a bike saddle.
Old 05-19-16, 07:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
I'm in desperate need of a new saddle and have heard great things about the Brooks B17. When I went to look at them online Amazon had the Brooks B67 too with springs. It looks so comfy but anyone have one that can give me some feedback?
The pictured B66 saddle (for older seat posts) came on the new Raleigh Superbe I bought in 1976. I have used it continuously on my regular commuter bike/weekend traveling bike ever since. Highest recommendations if comfort is a high priority for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
B66-Saddle.JPG (63.0 KB, 227 views)
B66-Saddle-2.JPG (49.9 KB, 224 views)
B66-Saddle-3.JPG (98.7 KB, 221 views)
Old 05-19-16, 07:57 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Have a Brooks B-68 on my Electra Townie beach bike. I believe a b68 is the same saddle as b67, except b68 is unsprung. The B68 is great for the townie ! Believe they have stopped making b68, wish I could find one NOS ?
Old 05-19-16, 09:46 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I've got a B-17 and love it. After around 450 miles, I didn't even notice the saddle. Not just every bag will work on it. I also have a Champion Flyer. Even the bags made by Brooks don't work on it. They collide with the springs and the springs make definite wear marks on the bag.

I should add that this in on the Giant Cypress hybrid with a fairly upright position.
Old 05-19-16, 10:16 PM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the B67 on my Novara. It's very comfortable. It sits more upright than the Sirrus Comp. The closest bike I have to the Sirrus is a Cannondale flat bar and I have a Brooks Flyer on that one, also very comfortable but you straddle that one more (your Sirrus would be similar). So the question I have is, how do you like to ride, bent forward or sitting up? Forward try the Flyer first or upright try the B67. Keep in mind, both will require a break in but you should be able to tell if you like them within a week. I've had both the B190 and the B72 on my Townie and the B190 is the pure comfort winner but with the Sirrus, you would be leaning forward and not able to take advantage of its qualities.
Old 05-20-16, 04:34 AM
Nermal

You have a Townie, Haunted? What do you think of it in terms of quality for price, and how heavy is it?
Old 05-20-16, 09:39 AM
elizwlsn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HauntedMyst
I have the B67 on my Novara. It's very comfortable. It sits more upright than the Sirrus Comp. The closest bike I have to the Sirrus is a Cannondale flat bar and I have a Brooks Flyer on that one, also very comfortable but you straddle that one more (your Sirrus would be similar). So the question I have is, how do you like to ride, bent forward or sitting up? Forward try the Flyer first or upright try the B67. Keep in mind, both will require a break in but you should be able to tell if you like them within a week. I've had both the B190 and the B72 on my Townie and the B190 is the pure comfort winner but with the Sirrus, you would be leaning forward and not able to take advantage of its qualities.
Well I went ahead and order the B67 this morning from Wallbikes along with the tin of creme used to keep the leather subtle. If it is too wide I'll return for the B17 but since I'm on the flatbar and never used a narrow seat before the Sirrus Comp I think I may do better with the wider. It's really not my butt that gets so sore or my tail bone. It's closer to the crotch area only on the sides so I'm thinking it may be the narrowness. Hope that wasn't tmi. Anyway I'm delighted to have made the decision....any decision and acted on it! Also sprung this morning for a Jandd expedition rear rack that is rated for 75lbs and is 3" longer. Yesterday order new bike shoes that I tried on at at my LBS but they didn't have my size and needed one size larger. Next is new bar ends that are thick plastic with finger grooves and new pedals A530 shimano's to go with my new shoes and I'm set for a while. At least till my wallet recovers a bit! Thanks for all the help with the saddle everyone.
Old 05-20-16, 08:32 PM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
You have a Townie, Haunted? What do you think of it in terms of quality for price, and how heavy is it?
I do! I have the 700c version. I had one a few years ago and sold it but missed it so I picked up another one. I'm not really sure but I put it being around 30 lbs. It you can get one on craigslist for about $350, they are great for the price. It's not a high performance bike. It's just fun to ride when you want to ride around town or on a bike path with your head up.
Old 05-20-16, 08:36 PM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I went ahead and order the B67 this morning from Wallbikes along with the tin of creme used to keep the leather subtle. If it is too wide I'll return for the B17 but since I'm on the flatbar and never used a narrow seat before the Sirrus Comp I think I may do better with the wider. It's really not my butt that gets so sore or my tail bone. It's closer to the crotch area only on the sides so I'm thinking it may be the narrowness. Hope that wasn't tmi. Anyway I'm delighted to have made the decision....any decision and acted on it! Also sprung this morning for a Jandd expedition rear rack that is rated for 75lbs and is 3" longer. Yesterday order new bike shoes that I tried on at at my LBS but they didn't have my size and needed one size larger. Next is new bar ends that are thick plastic with finger grooves and new pedals A530 shimano's to go with my new shoes and I'm set for a while. At least till my wallet recovers a bit! Thanks for all the help with the saddle everyone.
Good luck with it! After you apply the Proofide, wear dark shorts for the first few rides. After you mount it, scrunch up a plastic shopping bag under the rails so you have it you are out and it starts raining.
Old 05-20-16, 09:20 PM
Nermal

HauntedMyst, I've been researching step throughs, so performance isn't an issue. I had a stroke back in February and ever since, I've had a fear of not being able to clear the saddle when dismounting. Rational or not, the fear would probably cause a fall, and I'm getting a little old for that kind of stuff. I didn't know they made a 700 C version. My favored LBS might still carry the brand, and I'll see if they will take trade ins or consignment on the other two that are taking up space.
Old 05-21-16, 01:00 AM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that Nermal! I hope you make a full recovery. The other one I considered was the Day 6 Dream and that has even better step through clearance than the Townie. You can get them for about $450 on craiglist around here. Similar crank forward, flat foot type of ride. Check it out! The only reason I picked up the Townie again is I was able to get it at a better price.
Old 05-21-16, 01:15 AM
Nermal

Thanks. I'll go take a look. Recovery is good enough for everyday use, but probably won't be perfect.
Old 06-04-16, 11:37 AM
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
elizwlsn, How did the saddle work out?
Old 06-04-16, 12:11 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried it and returned it. It was so wide that my legs would rub against the saddle on the downstroke and chaff. I ended up with the Flyer, which as mentioned above is the sprung version of the B17. My saddle is very slightly higher than my handlebar. For the B67 to work I think it would have to be a Dutch style bike that iis more upright with the handlebar noticeably higher than the saddle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.