Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Endurance Road Bike for RAGBRAI

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-23, 05:53 PM
TRY-ATHLETE

Bikes: Giant OCR 1; Specialized Crossroads; Cannondale Quick 1; Vintage Schwinn Breeze 2 Speed Kickback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all. I am shopping for a comfortable endurance road bike for RAGBRAI 2023. I like a pretty erect riding position. I have done RAGBRAI twice on my 2004 size small Giant OCR 1. I recently added a riser to the OCR to get more erect, and I have also raised the OCR’s stem as much as possible. I like having multiple positions for my hands. I think the OCR small frame is 51cm.

I am female, 5’2” tall, 108 lbs. and 66 years old. I am not a strong rider, but I am a determined one. I might spring for electronic shifters or I might spring for carbon fiber, but if a $1,000 bike will make me comfortable that’s great!

Any suggestions for a comfortable, small, short-reach endurance bike? Thanks!
Likes For TRY-ATHLETE:
Old 03-01-23, 08:09 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Have you thought about swapping out the handlebars and/or stem for something more comfortable?

The best suggestion I have is to visit your local bike shops and test ride different brands and models to find the best fitting bike for you.
Old 03-01-23, 09:15 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
First, if you're 5'2", a 51cm bike might be a little big for you. Especially if you prefer a more upright riding position. I'm 5'4" and have 5 bikes: two 49cm frames, two 50cm frames and one 51cm frame (tri bike). I'm a couple inches taller than you and it's hard to tell the difference between the 49 and 50cm bikes, but I can between the 49 and the 51cm. My 51cm tri bike is right at the edge of what I am comfortable riding, and I tend to ride low and aero (as much as I can).

That's really all I can say on the matter. But for those of us who are unfamiliar, what is 'RAGBRAI"?
Old 03-01-23, 10:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
Trek Domane size 49 might be a good place to start.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-01-23, 11:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
But for those of us who are unfamiliar, what is 'RAGBRAI"?
Literally the first Google search result for RAGBRAI (in either lower or upper case): Home - RAGBRAI
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-01-23, 11:13 PM
TRY-ATHLETE

Bikes: Giant OCR 1; Specialized Crossroads; Cannondale Quick 1; Vintage Schwinn Breeze 2 Speed Kickback

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Have you thought about swapping out the handlebars and/or stem for something more comfortable?

The best suggestion I have is to visit your local bike shops and test ride different brands and models to find the best fitting bike for you.
Thanks for your advice. I am starting to visit bike shops. Started by riding some hybrids but I didn't really like them. So now I am thinking endurance road bike. And different handle bars might help.
Old 03-01-23, 11:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
If you want upright riding, not sure if a drop bar bike is best.
But if you find one that mostly works, consider pairing with a 35deg rise stem and drop bars that have a 20 or 30mm rise from the stem.
Both will help raise the bars up.
Old 03-01-23, 11:42 PM
TRY-ATHLETE

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
First, if you're 5'2", a 51cm bike might be a little big for you. Especially if you prefer a more upright riding position. I'm 5'4" and have 5 bikes: two 49cm frames, two 50cm frames and one 51cm frame (tri bike). I'm a couple inches taller than you and it's hard to tell the difference between the 49 and 50cm bikes, but I can between the 49 and the 51cm. My 51cm tri bike is right at the edge of what I am comfortable riding, and I tend to ride low and aero (as much as I can).

That's really all I can say on the matter. But for those of us who are unfamiliar, what is 'RAGBRAI"?
Thanks for your advice. I've always thought that my 51cm Giant OCR was a little big for me, so I am happy to hear your opinion. And RAGBRAI is an acronym for Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa which began 50 years ago. Starts at the west edge of Iowa and, in 7 days, you bike to the eastern edge. You dip you back tire in the Missouri River, cycle across the state, and dip your front tire in the Mississippi River. Not a race, but challenging. Different routes each year, some more difficult than others. About 500 miles.
Old 03-01-23, 11:44 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Literally the first Google search result for RAGBRAI (in either lower or upper case): Home - RAGBRAI
Or you could just say. You honestly believe it never occurred to me to do a web search? If someone asks me a question to which I know the answer, rather than a snarky reply, I'm happy to explain it.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-01-23, 11:45 PM
TRY-ATHLETE

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for this technical advice. I'm going to print it and I'll have something to talk with the bike shop people about. Very good.
Old 03-01-23, 11:46 PM
TRY-ATHLETE

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks; I'll check out the Trek Domane size 49.
Old 03-01-23, 11:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
I think the Al one has a smallest size of 49 and the carbon one has a 47. My daughter is 5'6" and her 52 is a little bit too large for her.
Old 03-02-23, 12:04 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by TRY-ATHLETE
Thanks for your advice. I've always thought that my 51cm Giant OCR was a little big for me, so I am happy to hear your opinion. And RAGBRAI is an acronym for Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa which began 50 years ago. Starts at the west edge of Iowa and, in 7 days, you bike to the eastern edge. You dip you back tire in the Missouri River, cycle across the state, and dip your front tire in the Mississippi River. Not a race, but challenging. Different routes each year, some more difficult than others. About 500 miles.
Thanks for that! It actually sounds pretty cool. Now I'm going to have to see if they have something like that out here. If not, might be cool to start. Maybe like a Vegas to Reno challenge!
Old 03-02-23, 12:35 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Or you could just say. You honestly believe it never occurred to me to do a web search? If someone asks me a question to which I know the answer, rather than a snarky reply, I'm happy to explain it.
I do not believe that it never occurred to you to do a web search. Rather, your answer seems to confirm that it did occur to you, but you did not do so for some reason.
Old 03-02-23, 01:27 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
The Salsa Journeyer is a perfect Ragbrai bike in my opinion.

https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/20...eyer-sora-650b
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 03-02-23, 02:03 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Cannondale Synapse?
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 03-02-23, 02:16 PM
VegasJen

I do not believe that it never occurred to you to do a web search. Rather, your answer seems to confirm that it did occur to you, but you did not do so for some reason.
OK, let's play a stupid game. Let's pretend we're having this conversation in real life. Let's say you come up to me and say, "Hey! I just signed up for the super wazoo triptokeptic sprint and I'm super excited!" Now I say, "Hold on, I'm going to google that."

See where I'm going here?
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-02-23, 03:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
OK, let's play a stupid game. Let's pretend we're having this conversation in real life. Let's say you come up to me and say, "Hey! I just signed up for the super wazoo triptokeptic sprint and I'm super excited!" Now I say, "Hold on, I'm going to google that."

Now, to be fair, that may be exactly what Millennials would do.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-02-23, 03:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,916 Times in 6,102 Posts
To the OP: If you're comfortable on the OCR1 with the raised bars, your goal should be to find a new bike that allows you to replicate that position. This can be accomplished by taking a number of measurements of it, and determining what bike allows you to get closest to that without things like an ultra-short and/or very angled stem.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-02-23, 04:46 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I see where you are going but I disagree with your premise that BikeForums.net is a proxy for a "conversation in real life" or a platform for real time communication; this is Bike Forums, not Bike Instant Messaging.
Old 03-02-23, 04:51 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Pizzaiolo Americano
The Salsa Journeyer is a perfect Ragbrai bike in my opinion.

https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/20...eyer-sora-650b
There's something to be said for a 650b wheel bike for a smaller frame.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-02-23, 04:54 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Liv bikes - designed for the gals (?) ... are they still around and a good option ?

some companies have XS size bikes - Trek ... Specialized ... ?

maybe Cannondale Synapse mentioned above ?

maybe Salsa Journeyer mentioned above ?

Cannondale Topstone is avail in a XS size - gravel bike with relaxed geometry, fairly upright bar position (relatively speaking) and wide gearing ... 700c wheels ... throw some 32 - 35mm smooth tires on it and it could be a fairly good candidate for RAGBRAI (?)

Last edited by t2p; 03-02-23 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-02-23, 05:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by bikemig
There's something to be said for a 650b wheel bike for a smaller frame.
Excellent point. The smallest size(s) of many bikes have strange geometry (compared to size M and above) to accommodate the 700c wheels.
Old 03-02-23, 06:49 PM
VegasJen

I see where you are going but I disagree with your premise that BikeForums.net is a proxy for a "conversation in real life" or a platform for real time communication; this is Bike Forums, not Bike Instant Messaging.
It's all a matter of how you use it. I prefer face-to-face conversations with people. I live in a rural area where that's a little more difficult. For me, an online forum is a reasonable analog.
Old 03-02-23, 08:43 PM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by TRY-ATHLETE
Thanks for your advice. I am starting to visit bike shops. Started by riding some hybrids but I didn't really like them. So now I am thinking endurance road bike. And different handle bars might help.
I just want to interject that an 'endurance bike' is not going to do you any special favors riding across Iowa. The idea is that these bikes might have a more upright position, some additional shock absorption and more predictable handling for fast decents.

The reality is that virtually all bikes for someone 5'2" are going to have fairly tall front ends, limited ability to modulate shock due to your low body weight and you won't be doing any real fast downhills. Any sort of road bike will work well. Older carbon fork bikes, pre-disc brake, generally had more shock absorbing rides. But you can put bigger tires on today's bikes - and then ride them at incredibly low pressures du to being so light.

Long story short, get whatever you like that fits. Beware of many newer bikes with "small" frames that have really steep seat tube angles in an attempt to fool you with their apparent short top tubes.

Personally, RABRAI seems like an ideal place to ride a classic '90s bike. Weight and braking being unimportant.

If I were you I would get your OCR handlebars where you want them to model for a future bike. Then you'll have a good back up "rain bike" as well.

Last edited by Kontact; 03-02-23 at 10:20 PM.
Likes For Kontact:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.