Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Is this bike size good enough?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-20, 07:25 PM
Fandomii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi everyone,

I just got a good deal on an electric bike, but as often with great deals, there's a catch - the bike does not exactly match my expected size. The bike is an HNF UD1, a hybrid bike rated 'S/M' in size, with the following dimensions listed at the company website: Seat tube length: 440mm, Top tube length: 580mm, Reach: 394mm, Stack: 608mm, Wheelbase 1128mm, Head tube angle: 73 degrees. (Please google HNF UD1 dimensions if you like to see a drawing).

I myself am 183cm (6ft tall), with an inseam of 86cm (33 3/4 inch). Following online guides I would be placed in the 56-58cm / 'L' size category, but I am wondering if I can make this bike work for me in S/M. I am not very flexible in general and prefer a more relaxed standing posture. So far I have found the bike alright to ride around - this is after setting the saddle all the way to the back, and the saddle height at 76cm from ct-BB (following the guideline Saddle height (cm) = inseam (cm) x 0.883). I haven't had more than a few miles on it however so I can't really tell if it's a great fit yet.

Would be glad to hear your opinions on this.

Last edited by Fandomii; 01-31-20 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 09:41 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I am 6" shorter than you and generally ride bikes with a 42 to a 44 cm seat tube. I am going to guess that if your seat height is adjusted properly that you will have an awful lot of seat post sticking out of the frame (may need a 400mm length seat post) -- extra long. The 58 cm top tube should be o.k. Depending on the fork height and head tube length. Hard to tell if you will be as upright as you prefer.
Old 02-12-20, 11:33 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
No way to tell anything without a photo of you on the bike.
Old 02-17-20, 11:58 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandomii
Hi everyone,

I just got a good deal on an electric bike, but as often with great deals, there's a catch - the bike does not exactly match my expected size. The bike is an HNF UD1, a hybrid bike rated 'S/M' in size, with the following dimensions listed at the company website: Seat tube length: 440mm, Top tube length: 580mm, Reach: 394mm, Stack: 608mm, Wheelbase 1128mm, Head tube angle: 73 degrees. (Please google HNF UD1 dimensions if you like to see a drawing).

I myself am 183cm (6ft tall), with an inseam of 86cm (33 3/4 inch). Following online guides I would be placed in the 56-58cm / 'L' size category, but I am wondering if I can make this bike work for me in S/M. I am not very flexible in general and prefer a more relaxed standing posture. So far I have found the bike alright to ride around - this is after setting the saddle all the way to the back, and the saddle height at 76cm from ct-BB (following the guideline Saddle height (cm) = inseam (cm) x 0.883). I haven't had more than a few miles on it however so I can't really tell if it's a great fit yet.

Would be glad to hear your opinions on this.
Hard to tell without pictures...

Did you ask your local bicycle shop? If so, what did they say?

You might be able to go a size down - some riders will do that on purpose to squeeze more performance - but you need to make sure that you can be fitted properly on it. If you're not sure, I would stick to the recommended range. It it's in reality too small, it's not worth the $ saved on the long run!
Old 02-17-20, 12:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
What have you been riding previously? If you don't have any previous experience to base anything on, I'd stay with what the manufacturer says.