Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Modestly-priced Garmin for triathlon training?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 06:40 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

My kid is in the very early stages of training for his first triathlon. He asked me for advice on what Garmin to get. I have a 130, having graduated from a 25. I think that would probably be adequate for his needs, but I know absolutely nothing about triathlons. (I can swim about well enough to avoid drowning for 12 seconds, and I run only if being chased.) It occurred to me he might be better off with a Garmin (or Garmin-type) watch if running and swimming are part of the training. For the road, he just needs basic functionality (no power meter currently, no heart rate or oxygen sensor, cadence meter, etc.) and it would be nice to upload a .fit file for a route.

I suggested DC Rainmaker but we both quickly realized there is so much info it is hard to separate the forest for the trees.

So basic functionality, modest (ca. $200 or so) price would be ideal for a 130-equivalent device.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-20, 03:19 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I am thinking of going with the Garmin Forerunner 735XT