Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kona Penthouse

Old 03-28-20, 08:47 AM
Blessed UC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kona Penthouse

Does anyone on this forum own a Kona Penthouse? Or does everyone just have high-end bikes? I'm rocking a 2017 model year. Just curious about others' experiences with this bike.
Old 03-28-20, 01:50 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
I'd never heard of it, but it looks like a nice bike. Its MSRP is far more than I've ever paid for a bike, so don't feel inadequate.
Old 03-28-20, 03:31 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I had never heard of that particular Kona model. I looked it up, and like most Kona bikes it has a pretty high cool factor.
Old 03-28-20, 04:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I like a good steel road bike but wouldn't waste time or money on Claris ever. When I first saw it in a magazine I thought oooh that looks decent then I saw it in real life and was supremely disappointed and then actually rode a bike with it and was equally bummed out. The lowest I would go on the road is the newer Tiagra 4700 and if that groupset weren't so allegedly proprietary it wouldn't be so terrible. I would likely just go 105 as that is probably the most practical and reliable groupset for most road cyclists but if budget was the concern Tiagra would be where I would land. I like a good crisp clean shift and hate clunky shifting and stuff I have to tune constantly.

Though the nice thing is with a good comfortable steel frame you can generally upgrade it and use it for a long long period of time and it will still be pretty awesome. I just put together an old Proteus frame (that had been built up a few times previous) with a mix of parts bin 600 tricolor and some slightly newer Ultegra cranks (in rough but working shape) and cannot wait to give it some final tuning and the first ride. I actually have a few parts bin steel bikes going and that is why I really love it it is forgiving so those old 126 spaced frames can generally safely move to 130 spacing without much fuss.
Old 03-28-20, 06:39 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

I completely disagree about the Claris set being a waste of time - it's very good value, and works fine. I had a bike with 105 10sp, and it wasn't better than 8sp Claris other than the two extra gears. Shifting was essentially the same, even if it's slightly heavier and have square taper instead of 2 piece crank. I don't think any indexed front shifting works perfectly, or at least no better than friction shift.
Old 03-29-20, 08:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I bought a similar bike in 2015...a Charge Plug, with a skinny, steel frame and modest 8-speed Shimano Claris groupset, plus low to mid level Promax Render-R bb5 disk brakes.

The frame is solid with slight flex (yay, skinny steel!), but the components have not been as tough.

I commute 18-miles round trip, 3-4 days a week with longer weekend rides, the Plug being my main commuter ( ihave two other bikes). I'd say the Plug gets at least 2500 miles a year.

After one year, the rear wheel began shedding spokes. After 4 years, the bearings race was trashed, and I purchased a new sturdier rear wheel. After 3 years a metal piece in the left brifter snapped in two. In the 4th year the rear disk brake lever not so much snapped apart, as "crumbled" as cheap aluminum can do. (It is only now that I realize that the model name "Render" includes the word "rend" which can mean "to tear. or shred".)

While the rear derailler seems a little easy to knock out of alignment, it has worked well, as has the front. The front chain-rings have been robust, but the rear gears began wearing after three years, and I replaced them in year 4 with wider-spaced gears to give me lower gears for my aging knees.

How would higher-end components hold up to near-daily commute service? I don't know. My guess is higher-end components work smoother and more precisely. If they are designed for lightness, then durability probably suffers.

But I do know that my bottom-of-the-line 1997 Nishiki Blazer 21-speed Mountain bike with Shimano Acera components, which I bought new and was my main commuter for 18 years...and my only bike for the first twelve, has been absolutely bullet proof. The right trigger shifter broke only after 20-years(!). I was not good with maintenance and the bike was stored out-doors (under a tarp) for the first two years. Last fall I converted it to drop-bars, but the gears and deraillers remain the same. It has been my snow bike for the last 4 winters, and rides and shifts as nicely as ever.

If I had a chance to test-ride the Kona Penthouse back in December 2014, I may have bought it. I am passed the age where I care whether people judge me and I care more about making the best purchase for my means and needs.
Old 03-29-20, 08:13 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
you bought it and you ride it. Why seek confirmation from others that it's a good bike?

if the feedback is overall negative, will you get rid of it?
Old 03-29-20, 10:46 PM
Blessed UC

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
you bought it and you ride it. Why seek confirmation from others that it's a good bike?

if the feedback is overall negative, will you get rid of it?
No, I love the bike so far. I was wondering if anyone else owns this Kona model. I had some questions. Not a big deal. I'll ride it till it's dead or I am. lol
Old 03-29-20, 11:02 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Steel is real!
Old 03-30-20, 11:42 AM
Blessed UC

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gconan
Steel is real!
For sure it's a nice smoothe ride
Likes For Blessed UC:
Old 04-01-20, 09:29 AM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by Blessed UC

No, I love the bike so far. I was wondering if anyone else owns this Kona model. I had some questions. Not a big deal. I'll ride it till it's dead or I am. lol
You can probably ask the questions - there are some very knowledgeable folks on here, and most stuff isn't that different between bikes.
Old 04-03-20, 07:11 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
How would higher-end components hold up to near-daily commute service? I don't know. My guess is higher-end components work smoother and more precisely. If they are designed for lightness, then durability probably suffers.
Until recently my wife commuted every day in all weather on a bike I built up for her seven years ago, a Nashbar aluminum frame and Campy Veloce drivetrain - not high end, but much nicer than Claris. Apart from the chain, which I've changed twice, I haven't had to replace any drivetrain parts.