Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Big feet, no adjustability causing knee pain

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 01:30 PM
Bigred27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am riding a Felt B2 Tt bike and it has an Ultegra 11spd crank set. I currently get some inner knee pain after riding 10 or so miles and should adjust my foot position to be more narrow. My issue is that I wear a US14.5 and already have rubbing issues at max width settings on my shoe and have a 2mm spacer required in my pedals to not rub.
Can I do anything about it or am I screwed?
Old 03-03-20, 02:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I usually put knee pain down to using too much muscle while riding. I know there can be other reasons, but that's the first one I look at for myself. Trying to accelerate rapidly with low cadence when there is an available lower gear available might be something to consider. Same for hard climbs.

I did ride with a crank that was only 5 mm longer than what I rode for over 45 years and got a pain that felt like it was behind my knee. Never really a pain, just an annoyance, but it was there on and off the bike. Rode it for 1000 or so miles then went back to a 165 mm crank and never experienced it again. However I admit that might be all anecdotal and circumstantial.

Not having experienced any of the stuff you are describing like spacers and wanting to be more narrow, someone else will have to address that.

By narrow..... are you talking about how far apart your feet are? Q?
Old 03-03-20, 05:46 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I also have a troublesome knee. Most of the time it is fine but acts up now and then. I don't know what the underlying problem is but when discomfort strikes, I step up my knee exercises. I use heavier resistance than he resistance shown in the linked video. I use 10 pounds worth of leg weights but the exercises are similar. https://www.google.com/search?client...aVgQb3koroDA24
Old 03-03-20, 10:52 PM
Bigred27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I usually put knee pain down to using too much muscle while riding. I know there can be other reasons, but that's the first one I look at for myself. Trying to accelerate rapidly with low cadence when there is an available lower gear available might be something to consider. Same for hard climbs.

I did ride with a crank that was only 5 mm longer than what I rode for over 45 years and got a pain that felt like it was behind my knee. Never really a pain, just an annoyance, but it was there on and off the bike. Rode it for 1000 or so miles then went back to a 165 mm crank and never experienced it again. However I admit that might be all anecdotal and circumstantial.

Not having experienced any of the stuff you are describing like spacers and wanting to be more narrow, someone else will have to address that.

By narrow..... are you talking about how far apart your feet are? Q?

I am indeed talking about the width between my feet being closer together. But i think that you may be on to something.
Old 03-04-20, 12:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
IMO Q factor isn't a knee issue. Maybe a hip issue, but that's very rare. IME crank length also has nothing to do with it. First thing to do is put a mirror in front of you as you ride a trainer. Are you riding knock-kneed? Proper weight training and stretching can solve that, see a PT. Another possibility is that your VMO is stronger that your other quad muscles and that's pulling your kneecap to the inside. Same advice.
Old 03-04-20, 02:22 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Seat height correct?
Old 03-04-20, 04:36 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
IMHO this is not related to Q factor, at least I've never experienced a knee pain related to it - and some bikes, or even more so, exercise bikes in gyms, have really big Q factor. However, what affect my knees immediately is wrong seat height (too high) and cleat position on the shoes, in particular, the angle of the cleats. I had an issue with the heels hitting chainstays and got an advice to position cleats at a slight inward angle - this converted a bike in a torture machine for me.
Likes For Oso Polar: