Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 05:05 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I just picked up an Ultegra RX800 RD and it runs great! This is exactly what I was looking for. Also the chain line appears better aligned for road cranks. I believe even the GRX RD cages are optimized for the 2.5mm offset of GRX cranksets. If you're running a road crankset on a gravel bike, I think the Ultegra RX800 RD is a better choice. It easily clears the big cog on my 11-36t while running a direct mount 46:30t chainring. Shifting definitely has a more road bike precision, but with lower gearing. Though I believe the GRX 400 runs a tad more smoother at the low gears due to the long cage. If I was predominantly climbing in rough terrain like 70/30 percent of the time, I'd definitely prefer the GRX 400 RD even with it's 60-65g weight penalty for the RX800 RD.

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-12-23, 11:25 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I've added some comparison photos between the GRX400 and Ultegra RX800 rear derailleurs mounted on my 10speed 11-36t XT cassette and 46:30t crankset (using GRX400 10 speed shifters). On a side note, I'm using a GRX400 FD and it works perfectly with road cranks with plenty of H/L screw adjustment leverage. No need for a road specific FD, while still capable of handling GRX 2.5mm offset cranks. From what I'm thinking, the Ultegra RX800 is at it's upper threshold for optimal shifting. Any bigger of a cassette and it won't have that fast, roadie-like shifting.

Though if I decide I want more low gearing I think I would go back to the GRX400 RD due to the long cage design. I've been really curious about the new Microshift Sword 10 speed 11-38t cassette that's starting to trickle onto the market and I wonder if the GRX400 could handle that cassette while maintaining crisp shift performance? Also looking at the Shimano cassette weight and price of the current 12 speed 11-36t cassettes, I somewhat prefer 10 speed. The 10 speed 11-36t Deore XT cassette is cheaper and weighs less. I really don't notice much cadence difference between 2x10 vs 2x11.

Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-15-23, 12:06 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I jumped on the TPU tube bandwagon for spares. The price came down a lot, at $12 per tube on Amazon, I'm willing to try.

I got one for my gravel and one for my mountain bike. With a good tubeless setup, I haven't had a flat that required a tube in years, its entirely possible I'll never use either of these. I can't leave the house without a spare, I just can't do it. So this will free up a ton of room in my (intentionally) small bags. Since they'll be in there likely a loooong time, and they're so thin, I have them both in a soft sunglasses bag. Maybe it's time to check my sealant levels.
Old 11-15-23, 04:15 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I jumped on the TPU tube bandwagon for spares. The price came down a lot, at $12 per tube on Amazon, I'm willing to try.

I got one for my gravel and one for my mountain bike. With a good tubeless setup, I haven't had a flat that required a tube in years, its entirely possible I'll never use either of these. I can't leave the house without a spare, I just can't do it. So this will free up a ton of room in my (intentionally) small bags. Since they'll be in there likely a loooong time, and they're so thin, I have them both in a soft sunglasses bag. Maybe it's time to check my sealant levels.

what brand / type TPU tubes ?
Old 11-15-23, 04:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Ridenow, they’re all over Amazon.

I got one that’s like 700c x35-47mm which will cover gravel. The MTB ones are 29x2.1-2.5 or something.

Very light, very compact. They each come with one stick on patch.

Like I said earlier, with my tubeless setup, I’m not really getting flats, and if I do, it’s more like something that I’d plug. This is just for peace of mind, since I can’t bring myself to ride without a spare. Hopefully, neither of these ever see the inside of a tire.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 11-15-23, 06:33 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Ridenow, they’re all over Amazon.

I got one that’s like 700c x35-47mm which will cover gravel. The MTB ones are 29x2.1-2.5 or something.

Very light, very compact. They each come with one stick on patch.

Like I said earlier, with my tubeless setup, I’m not really getting flats, and if I do, it’s more like something that I’d plug. This is just for peace of mind, since I can’t bring myself to ride without a spare. Hopefully, neither of these ever see the inside of a tire.
now you are definitely jinxed !

I have RideNow tubes in wheels of my 650b bike and 26” wheel vintage MTB - they have been trouble free

I have Schwalbe Aerothan tubes in my 700c bikes - they have also been trouble free with exception of the valve stem guts a bit too eager to unscrew at times

have a pair of Pirelli tpu tubes - they look good but have not used them

also have a pair of Revoloop tpu tubes - have not used them and probably will not … a tad too thin / ‘flimsy’ (for me at least)

Last edited by t2p; 11-15-23 at 06:38 PM.