Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Frame Comparisons Up-Grading a JC-70

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 06:24 AM
tamss13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an KMX Viper I purchased used back in 2020. Its great but as I lost weight I wanted a trike that I could self paddle at higher speeds. No Engine outside of these old legs. I decided to upgrade to a Catrike 700 but my wallet will not allow me to pay for a Cartrike new. So I looked for a used 700 or Expedition. Everytime I found one in my price range (within a reasonable distance from my location) I was a day late.....always....just sold.......A Performer JC-70 fell into my lap at an extremely low price. I couldn't pass it up.

Once I parked it next to my KMX the components look inferior I think its the entry level JC-70.....so here is my question

Between trikes. it seems the componets is what sets trikes apart. Are the frame fairly close in quality? Is it possible to up-grade my JC-70 with components similiar to a Catrike 700 to obtain a more quality trike?

I got the trike cheap so if the frame is quality would it be worth the up-grades and would I get the performance I am looking for?

Is there a web group of trike up-graders? People who are modifing their trikes?

Thanks
Old 07-13-23, 08:02 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
I've ridden a Catrike 700 since 2013. The JC70 did come with entry level Shimano and Microshift components. There are two reasons I would not buy one of these used if my CT700 were wrecked or stolen. It's heavier by around 7 pounds and it does not come with a mesh seat. Where I live you would be sitting in a pool of sweat with a hard shell seat. You can't easily change the weight much even with going to higher level components. Ride it, enjoy it, and continue to look for a better trike. There is at least one review where the owner rode it many thousands of miles so it must be a decent trike even though entry level. The gear range on the JC-70 is also narrower than for the CT700. That might not make much of a difference except on the low end,
Old 07-14-23, 11:01 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
A KMX Viper and a Performer JC70 should be pretty equal as regards drivetrain components. I think both my Performer highracers came very reasonably appointed and uprgrading anything on them would have been unwise. Chances are good the JC70 has a 52/42 or39/30 Road Triple up front. The 30T granny ring can be changed to a 26T or 24T ring for a trivial amount of money. Done. You are set for years of fun. Anything better, even well used, will be 3x the price. The real secret to higher performance (heh) with these is the tires. Get some nice 28mm (25mm?) all around and you should really fly but the ride will be a bit harsh.
Old 07-14-23, 11:53 AM
tamss13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A KMX Viper and a Performer JC70 should be pretty equal as regards drivetrain components. I think both my Performer highracers came very reasonably appointed and uprgrading anything on them would have been unwise.
Thanks. It took me forever to find a shop that would look at the trike. The shop that maintains my KMX said they couldn't do maintinace on performer product. Hopefully this new shop gives me the same advice you gave. Thanks
Old 07-15-23, 07:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My impression was always that KMX frames were pretty low-end. Putting nice components on one would be 'lipstick on a pig.' Performer is still a fairly heavy frame, but not as bad as the KMX. You can always upgrade components. The drive train is standard bike stuff with the exception of idlers and/or chain tubes. If a bike shop refuses to work on a trike , it's probably because they don't have a holder that fits the frame.