Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Advice on buying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24, 05:53 AM
MkVerstappen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice on buying?

I want to buy a mountainbike that I can use for trail riding "offroad". I know some cheap bikes have a warning that they are not designed for that
How can I decide which is a real mountainbike?
I want to buy a used one, probably hardtail. Is that ok? buying a used and then riding it. (I have 300$ limit)
Old 03-16-24, 08:15 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Depending on your local market you should be able to purchase a reliable bike for $300, especially considering the current market conditions. If possible, take a knowledgeable friend when you look at anything used. If that's not possible, find something from a reputable company (Trek, Giant, Specialized) that looks like it's in good condition cosmetically fits you comfortably, and rides, shifts and brakes adequately when you test it. You might go to a local shop and ride a few bikes for comparison. Also if you locate something, you can post here to see if it's worth the asking price (after you get ten posts).
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-16-24, 10:51 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I would try and raise your budget to get something more modern used. In the end you are probably going to need to invest money to fix it up. Look for Deore or above components and other stuff from known manufacturers of quality. Know that you can easily find a bike that needs a lot of work and maybe not notice. Also know that many front forks haven't seen maintenance as they should and that can get expensive or hard to get done as the fork is older and many companies may not want to work on it. You would be wise to see if your local shop is willing to evaluate the bike mechanically (not for price) and also see if the seller of the bike you like is willing to meet up there that way you know how much you will spend on top of buying the bike or know if it is worthwhile or not.

Spending $1200+ is a huge step up from your $300 but it will get you a new proper mountain bike you can actually ride and enjoy. With the new bike you have all the warranties and usually some service attached (at least one or two free tune ups/check overs) and in the end you will have something more modern so if you decide you want to put a few upgrades to it, you can find more options.

Plus with a new bike you can test ride a bunch of stuff more easily and get better expert advice that is harder with used bikes unless you have someone who is actually knowledgeable in bikes because they work in the industry or are a private bike nerd. The classic "bike friend" is utterly useless and is more a sounding board then someone who knows bikes, maybe they ride but probably have one or maybe two bikes and really know little some even commute everyday which usually means lack of maintenance and of course missing knowledge. There are a couple "bike friends" I have seen who are a little bit more knowledgeable but on a slight enthusiast level but still miss out on a lot.
Old 03-20-24, 04:07 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
$300 = Department Store Bike Shaped Object.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-20-24, 05:06 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by MkVerstappen
I want to buy a mountainbike that I can use for trail riding "offroad". I know some cheap bikes have a warning that they are not designed for that
How can I decide which is a real mountainbike?
I want to buy a used one, probably hardtail. Is that ok? buying a used and then riding it. (I have 300$ limit)
Yes, for an off-road beginner, a hardtail is OK. (Which reminds me: if you have friends who are experienced off-road cyclists who want you to ride with them, trust your instincts about speeds and terrain that seem dangerous. I've known of several new riders who tried to follow faster riders and ended up in the hospital. One had to have his jaw wired back together.)

There are some kinds of damage and wear to bike frames and components that would make buying a used bike a bad idea and would not be obvious to a novice buyer, but bikes that look very clean are usually a good bet - lots of people buy bikes with the best intentions and then soon give up riding.

Finally, post your height and identify the Craigslist and/or Facebook Marketplace that serves your location, and people here will be able to help you find a locally advertised bike that is likely to fit and to be appropriate for your intended riding.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-26-24, 09:08 AM
Cdubs

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I noticed in Canada GT Agressors are at a huge discount. So I cheked the states and it seems they are on sale too. At least at Dicks. IMO these are great beginner bikes and will allow you to upgrade a bit in the future.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...gt%20aggressor
Old 03-26-24, 10:45 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...RoC-ocQAvD_BwE
This Wally bike has gotten lots of good reviews on Utube. For a beginner, how can you go wrong? HTH
Old 03-26-24, 01:07 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...RoC-ocQAvD_BwE
This Wally bike has gotten lots of good reviews on Utube. For a beginner, how can you go wrong? HTH

Likes For prj71: