Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

accepting risks of car-free life

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 11:43 PM
the homealien
garbage picker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just had a frustrating experience that I want to share. I live about 30 miles outside of Chicago and I had planned on visiting a friend in the city tonight. I'm 20 years old, attending university and home for the holidays. I have never owned a car and probably never will, so I try to avoid using my parents' cars as much as I can. My plan was to take the train into the city and bike the rest of the way, but when my parents found that out they were very upset and insisted on driving to bring me home right away. My mother, who rides 8 miles to work most days and is vehemently anti-car and anti-sprawl, told me that what I was trying to do was childish, irresponsible and wrong. I had a long argument with her and my dad, and they insisted that biking at night is a wrong choice and that I am a disrespectful child for choosing that. My stance is that biking at night is my choice and it is very important.

What do you think, about the parent-child dynamic but also more importantly about the risks of living car-free?
Old 12-23-05, 12:15 AM
filtersweep

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always hated that about being a college student... parents had no clue what I was doing at school, but suddenly became my parents again when I was home. It is just a fact of life// really has nothing to do with car free living.
Old 12-23-05, 12:20 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Biking at night is fine, if you're lit up.
Old 12-23-05, 08:55 AM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
What lights did you have. I have 3 bright red blinkies in the back I consider essential.
Old 12-23-05, 09:34 AM
BenyBen
winter is comming

Bikes: Mikado kensington 2003, "commuterized" 8yr old Mongoose hilltopper SX, Baycrest Hurricane 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Equip yourself with lights and a visibility-vest if you have to and show your parrents just how visible you are in the dark.
Old 12-23-05, 09:55 AM
NimbusRidesFixd

Bikes: Custom Columbus Steel 18spd w/ Nashbar & Ultegra Parts / Mercier Kilo TT / Fixed Conversion with all Nashbar Parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're 20 years old. Do what you want! Your parents can say all they want, but you're the one who makes the desicions. It's the same way for me, when I come home for holidays, they seem to beret me on countless pointless topics about what I'm doing with my life. I try to think from their point of view, and normally always decide that my point of view is better - from a bike!

Chad
Old 12-23-05, 10:22 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your parents are just worried about your safety thats all. Its natural as a parent to be a bit over-protective- why not just put their minds at rest this once and let them drive you. They looked after you for quite a few years - you owe them that. The time will come soon enough when you are on your own.

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)
Old 12-23-05, 01:07 PM
PKG
[great custom user title]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell them what I find about night riding--- that it is actually MORE safe. There are less cars on the road, which means less of them to hit you, but also it is easier to locate them. I can hear one coming from further away without all the other noise from all the other cars, and their head lights makes telling a moving car from a parked car easier.

and then tell them to shut up or buy a car. How can you live car free and not ride at night? that makes no sense to me.
Old 12-23-05, 01:08 PM
PKG
[great custom user title]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just make sure you DO HAVE LIGHTS!!!
Old 12-23-05, 03:13 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A really well-lit cyclist is more visible at night than in the day. You can't easily use lights to stand out from whatever random stuff is on the sides of the roads in the day, but you can at night. Use multiple lights if you want to be assured of giving drivers better depth perception.
Old 12-23-05, 03:40 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son left a couple of days ago on a bike trip to visit relatives 90 miles away. I inspired him to get into cycling in the first place. He's better at it than I am. We've done overnight bike tours together. He's got good lights and all the safety equipment. And yet, and yet ... I still worry about him. Sorry guys, parents are just that way and nothing's going to change it.

Maybe cycling parents can be even worse because they know how bad it can get out there sometimes.
Old 12-23-05, 05:25 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Were they more worried about your being seen or being mugged?

I have to commute home from work evry night, and do other night riding too. However, unlike others who posted here, I do not think night riding is "just as safe" as day riding. But it is "safe enough" if you follow the rules:
  1. Light your bike well. At minimum, have a bright headlight pointing to the front and a bright blinky in the rear. (Find lots of information on lighting in the Commuter subforum.)
  2. Be even more alert and ride further toward the center of the street as appropriate. The biggest danger is from cars turning out in front of you or into you.
  3. Plan your route to avoid "bad" neighborhoods. Don't stop in secluded areas. If you ride a lot at night, consider self-defense options.
  4. Make sure your bike is in excellent condition. Carry tools and a spare tube.
  5. Carry enough money or credit card for taxis if you really get stuck. Or carry a cell phone and the number of somebody who will come and get you if you break down.

I'm not saying any of this to scare people off. Just common sense precautions.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-23-05, 08:41 PM
matt_savvy

Bikes: 84 level, 650c harry havnoonian track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tell your parents to stop being such cops and save it. riding at night is just a fact of life as far as being car free.
Old 12-24-05, 02:18 AM
thelung

Bikes: some piece of s h i t

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also 20, my mom worries about me riding at night but she doesnt try to stop me. You're old enough to judge the situation on your own. Show them how visible you are and point out that you rarely have to negotiate traffic at night. If they still say no, I would just do it anyway.
Old 12-24-05, 03:20 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo, you should be glad you have parents that care enough to be worried about you. If your mom really starts nagging you, just ask her to buy a nice set of Halogen Niterider lights.
Old 12-24-05, 04:02 AM
RacerX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dunno, your parents might have a point. I've seen someone get mugged on a bike and it's not gentle. Chicago at night...might be prudent to take your mom up on that ride.
Not saying you should live your life in fear but a healthy dose of self-preservation over idealism will give you another day to be idealistic and angry.
Old 12-24-05, 04:10 AM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerX
I dunno, your parents might have a point. I've seen someone get mugged on a bike and it's not gentle. Chicago at night...might be prudent to take your mom up on that ride.
Not saying you should live your life in fear but a healthy dose of self-preservation over idealism will give you another day to be idealistic and angry.
Sounds like some wise advice, IMO. Besides, isn't Chicago bone chiling cold this time of year?
Old 12-24-05, 07:11 AM
ViciousCycle
Chicago Cyclist

Bikes: My frame is covered in reflective tape. After adding ridiculously large handlebars, a comfy seat, and enough carrying capacity to haul a Thanksgiving grocery run home, the manufacturer wouldn't recognize it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who lives in Chicago and who cycles day/night year-round, I know that there are many neighborhoods that are quite pleasant/safe to cycle in at night. On the other hand, the expressways at night can be pretty scary. I've had pleasant, safe nights cycling through Chicago winters whereas one of the scariest nights of my life was a summer night in a car on the Dan Ryan Expressway.
Old 12-24-05, 08:00 AM
oldguy52
Old Noob

Location: Mid-MN not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

Bikes: Downtube VIIIFS folder, 2 Strida 3 folders, HP Velotechnik "Grasshopper" and a Burley "Hep Cat"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with Vicious Cycle. I don't think your parents problem is riding at night, or lights. I think it's *riding at night in Chicago* There's a lot of areas there where I didn't care to go at night, even in an 18 wheeler.

Be careful. you're not bulletproof
Old 12-24-05, 11:01 AM
thelung

Bikes: some piece of s h i t

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Richmond is supposed to be the 6th most dangerous city in the US but I have always felt much more safe on a bike. The people I know who have been mugged/robbed were either walking alone or in their own houses when it happened.
Old 12-24-05, 05:33 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
This afternoon I rode my stepson to a new job in East Lansing. i meant to leave him a blinky for his ride home but I forgot. He's 30 years old. I'm a little worried about him. You never stop being a parent.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-24-05, 06:58 PM
budster
beginner

Bikes: Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen someone get mugged on a bike and it's not gentle.
How does that work? I've always felt much safer on bike than on foot, at least from street thugs. I'd like to know how to avoid being victimized. What, exactly, did you witness?
Old 12-24-05, 09:38 PM
some_guy282
Peaknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm curious to know as well, but would guess the biker was either clotheslined off the bike as he rode by, or was stopped at a light when somone pulled him off the bike or threatened with a weapon.
Old 12-25-05, 12:55 AM
the homealien
garbage picker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend got shoved off her bike riding right behind me, and not even for money, just for kicks. Now that takes balls. Too bad by the time I swung back around they were running off into the crowd.
Old 12-25-05, 06:12 AM
rwwff
You gotta be who you be

Bikes: Cannondale Q6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something that may work better than you'd expect... Just do it a few times, unannouced. Don't give them the advanced warning to overreact. Granted I'm within days of being 40, so my folks might have finally come to grips with the idea that I'm nuts; but for the longest time, I'd suggested to them that they were well within comfortable cycling distance, and my mom would come back, "don't you dare ride that..." Then I just did it a couple times, and now all I get is, "be careful."

The thing that cracks me up about it the most, is that they are afraid of the absolute wrong things. The scariest to them is this high speed state highway that is part of the route I take, it has huge lanes, great visibility, and monstrous shoulders. On the other hand, It never occurs to them that tree packed residentials with four way uncontrolled intersections and blind driveways might be hazardous to a cyclist..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.