Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

S3X Users: How do you have your gearing set up?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 11:24 PM
Face Palm
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I recently had a rear wheel built up with an S3X that I'd had around for a while. I'm really enjoying it, and haven't had any operational issues with it.

I'm wondering about how others have set up their gearing, especially considering that 3rd gear is direct drive. Are you using this gear as direct drive, or setting up 2nd as your main gear with 1st and 3rd going up or down from there? Currently, I have 3rd set up as direct drive with a gear inch spread of 44.6/53.5/71.4 (according to the Sheldon Brown calculator). While 71.4 is a great all-around gear that I might choose if I only had one gear, on the S3X this means that I rarely if ever use first gear. From what I've read, this is not an uncommon issue.

I'm considering switching to using 2nd as my primary gear, ending up with something in the neighborhood of 53/64/86 gear inches. That would give me a good spinning gear as primary, a tougher mashing gear above that, and something on the low end to help with the hills.

I probably just need to try it and see how I like it, but am curious about how other have handled this. What are you running on your S3X's?
Old 06-16-12, 10:12 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I haven't used an S3X, but my preference is usually to put my most-used gear in the middle of my range.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-17-12, 08:40 AM
Xgecko
old legs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not directly related but I have a S2 Duomatic I set up the bigger gear, with my downhill and flats and the lower gear for climbing