Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Skewer mounted rear rack questions / recommendation needed

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 01:57 PM
Mojo GoGo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I rode my first real tour last year by riding around Lake Ontario with a friend. We were minimalists and used backpacks for supplies as we arranged lodging through Warmshowers.org. We plan to ride around Lake Erie this year but have both decided to get racks and panniers to get the weight off our backs.

I'm in need of a recommendation for a skewer based rack as I'll be touring on a road bike without seat stay eyelets or dropout mounting holes (it will also see duty on a mtn bike turned commuter). I want to stay away from p tabs and I'm not sure why but want to stay away from brake mount systems too (plan to attach to seat stay eyelets on commuter or seat post collar for road bike).

Can anyone recommend a rack that fits my needs?

I'm certain I'm over thinking / analyzing things but I like the look (and concept of the narrow profile as we'll be riding 80 - 100 miles per day) of the Axiom Streamliner series. The Streamliner Road DLX has a brake bridge mount whereas the Streamliner Disc DLX offers the option of stay/collar mounting as well. What's the difference? The Disc DLX looks wider but would it still work? Would any "disc" based rack work (I haven't really looked at them as my road bike doesn't have disc brakes but they few I've seen all seem to be skewer based). Should I just get the Road DLX and then an extension kit for replacing the brake mount?

A local shop suggested the Bontrager Backrack Lightweight as they happen to carry that model. It looks like it would work too but it's almost 2x the $ of the Axiom (although the price would be closer if I bough the Road DLX and a accessory hardware kit to replace the brake mount it comes with...).

If it matters I'll will be running Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers (we were only rained on 1 day last year but I want to make sure stuff stays dry as I don't expect to be as lucky this year and because I plan to use them for commuting (rain or shine)). I've seen some posts about panners sucking in between rack posts and hitting rear wheels... I'm assuming (based on visual appearance) that this would be less of an issue with the Axiom racks than the Bontrager but wanted to share pack choice in case it would impact your recommendation (as the Ortlieb bags are not a hard shell).

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-13, 02:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tubus also has a parts kit to use their racks on frames without dropout eyelets.
a skewer mount.. then you have a rack to keep while you change bikes underneath them .
Old 02-21-13, 03:00 PM
Mojo GoGo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a search before posting and saw a lot of people saying the Tubus Fly was a good rack. Any recommendations - are you running a Tubus rack? Guessing the Tubus hardware could be used on other manufacturers' racks as well (as Tubus racks seem to all be $100+).
Old 02-21-13, 03:05 PM
iforgotmename

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While this may be more than you want to spend but I will still throw it out there...Old Man Mountain. I have one and it is light durable and easy to put on/take off. Just my 2 cents. https://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/...ar_gallery.htm

Last edited by iforgotmename; 02-21-13 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 03:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Me?, my tours were never a string of Century days .. you plan on 12 hours a day in the saddle
to knock those out?

can you pack everything into a big Canvas Carradice Saddle bag ? hidden behind you
[see Nun's super light weight touring Kit., down to one of those annd a Handlebar Bag.]

panniers are added frontal area to push through the air
and faster you go the greater the resistance.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-21-13 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 03:17 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mojo GoGo
I rode my first real tour last year by riding around Lake Ontario with a friend. We were minimalists and used backpacks for supplies as we arranged lodging through Warmshowers.org. We plan to ride around Lake Erie this year but have both decided to get racks and panniers to get the weight off our backs.

I'm in need of a recommendation for a skewer based rack as I'll be touring on a road bike without seat stay eyelets or dropout mounting holes (it will also see duty on a mtn bike turned commuter). I want to stay away from p tabs and I'm not sure why but want to stay away from brake mount systems too (plan to attach to seat stay eyelets on commuter or seat post collar for road bike).

Can anyone recommend a rack that fits my needs?

I'm certain I'm over thinking / analyzing things but I like the look (and concept of the narrow profile as we'll be riding 80 - 100 miles per day) of the Axiom Streamliner series. The Streamliner Road DLX has a brake bridge mount whereas the Streamliner Disc DLX offers the option of stay/collar mounting as well. What's the difference? The Disc DLX looks wider but would it still work? Would any "disc" based rack work (I haven't really looked at them as my road bike doesn't have disc brakes but they few I've seen all seem to be skewer based). Should I just get the Road DLX and then an extension kit for replacing the brake mount?

A local shop suggested the Bontrager Backrack Lightweight as they happen to carry that model. It looks like it would work too but it's almost 2x the $ of the Axiom (although the price would be closer if I bough the Road DLX and a accessory hardware kit to replace the brake mount it comes with...).

If it matters I'll will be running Ortlieb Back Roller Classic panniers (we were only rained on 1 day last year but I want to make sure stuff stays dry as I don't expect to be as lucky this year and because I plan to use them for commuting (rain or shine)). I've seen some posts about panners sucking in between rack posts and hitting rear wheels... I'm assuming (based on visual appearance) that this would be less of an issue with the Axiom racks than the Bontrager but wanted to share pack choice in case it would impact your recommendation (as the Ortlieb bags are not a hard shell).

Thanks in advance!
I have both the Axiom Streamliner DLX and the Old Man Mountain Sherpa rack and the Sherpa rack is actually lighter than the DLX rack but being at least 2 to 3 times stronger. Incidentally, the Sherpa rear rack survived after being ran over by an 18 wheeler truck when my old suspension MTB bike fell off the back of the bike rack. While the entire bike was crushed, the rear wheel and rack were the only 2 items survived! Can't claim that you will have the same experience as me, but Old Man Mountain stuff is tough and sturdy. The Streamliner DLX rack is not sturdy enough to hold 30lbs of load -- it will flex and the brake bridge can snap off if using stock part. The skewer thin plates will bend and sag as well. They sell a more beefier version, but you might as well as get OMM.

OMM Sherpa is currently on my carbon bike and had abandoned the DLX.

Last edited by pacificcyclist; 02-21-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 03:55 PM
Mojo GoGo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
.. you plan on 12 hours a day in the saddle to knock those out?]

panniers are added frontal area to push through the air and faster you go the greater the resistance.
Not planning on 12 hour days - last year we averaged between 16-18 mph per day so it's closer to 7-8 hours of ride time with food and rest room breaks thrown in for 9-11 hour days (lake shore is pretty flat although the westward leg hurts due to the headwinds). My buddy and I are both just starting to dabble in touring so we don't have "touring" bikes and unfortunately we both have limited vacation time to use due to family limitations so we ride hard, eat dinner, rest and then repeat (touring in a more leisurely style I'm sure would be more fun but it's just not viable for us right now).

As for air resistance - it's a worry for me based on how we're touring. It's why I'm looking at the narrow profile racks. I was originally thinking about the over the rack pannier style (like a suit bag) but another friend who's been touring for years absolutely raved about the water proof nature of the Ortliebs. Last year I used a stuffed Camelbak Fourteener and the weight got old by the end of the day and as the tour wore on...

At this point not sure if it would be better to go with a sturdy OMM rack with the Fourteener bag (or maybe something else that is 100% waterproof) bungeed to the top of the rack or try to find rack and panniers with a minimal front profile. Only thing I think I know is I don't want the pack on my back again...
Old 02-21-13, 04:04 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Big Ortlieb Back Rollers on a road bike? Seems to me the issue isn't the rack but the suitability of your bike for a large load hanging off the rear wheel.
Old 02-21-13, 05:22 PM
Mojo GoGo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Big Ortlieb Back Rollers on a road bike? Seems to me the issue isn't the rack but the suitability of your bike for a large load hanging off the rear wheel.
Well, I've done 1 tour, my Camelback had a 1404 cubic in capacity and I wouldn't mind having a bit more capacity but don't need a lot more. I'm looking for advice from folks who have more experience... Any recommendations?
Old 02-21-13, 05:32 PM
Mojo GoGo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I've done 1 tour, my Camelback had a 1404 cubic in capacity and I wouldn't mind having a bit more capacity but don't need a lot more. I'm looking for advice from folks who have more experience... Any recommendations?

Also, going back and double checking, the backroller classic bags are 16.5 x 12.6 x 3.9. Is 3.9" really that deep? It's not like they're 7 or 12" deep that a long haul rider carry tons of gear would use...

Last edited by Mojo GoGo; 02-21-13 at 05:33 PM. Reason: change a sentance
Old 02-21-13, 05:48 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, going back and double checking, the backroller classic bags are 16.5 x 12.6 x 3.9. Is 3.9" really that deep? It's not like they're 7 or 12" deep that a long haul rider carry tons of gear would use...
The OMM rear rack has a rear recessed placement for bags, so even the biggest bags which in my case are a pair of old Serratus AquaNots (46L) and similar dimensions to the Back Rollers are not a problem. But I wouldn't be hauling a ton of gear on a road bike either as it isn't designed for heavy load stability. Bikes like the Salsa Vaya is best for light to medium loads and Surly LHT for expedition loads. I use a carbon bike for absolute light touring only and use the steel bike for medium loads on gravel.
Old 02-21-13, 05:49 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Have you considered a trailer that mounts to the wheel skewer?
I have a Burley Nomad and it is excellent.

Good Luck on your ride. I like the idea of "Go with what you have." rather than needing to be totally outfitted with all the newest stuff. However, if you win the lottery before you go, consider custom made co-motion touring bikes.
Old 02-21-13, 05:56 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Heel strike is likely on a road bike with large panniers and large feet.
Old 02-21-13, 06:41 PM
LeeG

I'm decades from when I last toured for weeks but most of it was with less than 15lbs on road bikes with 16" chain stays. Racks were basic Blackburns. Back then Campy dropouts had a triangular hole that Blackburn made special mounts for. About 8lbs went on the rack and 4 on the handlebars. I did multiple trips around Ca. with that set up. Two water bottles with a third on the rack pile.
If you have steel forks and want a pannier load I'd go straight to a front low rider and put panniers there. If that's not possible and you want as light a ride as possible and max carrying go for the narrow Axiom rack with three 13liter dry bags strapped on the top and sides, that'll give you heel clearance and a tight secure load. After that some kind of handlebar bag to hold a lb. of stuff, nothing big.

https://www.campmor.com/sea-summit-bi...=%7Bkeyword%7D
Old 02-21-13, 06:54 PM
LeeG

The Backroller is 6.7" but that isn't the issue it's the 16.5"x12.6" that puts the pannier into the circle of your heels. The 13liter dry bags are oval shaped and would hang down about 9". It would take some experimentation with straps and bungies but you could probably come up with a neat method for securing the bags.

https://www.ortlieb.com/_pdf_en/radtasche_en.pdf
Old 02-22-13, 06:49 AM
Mojo GoGo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
The Backroller is 6.7" but that isn't the issue it's the 16.5"x12.6" that puts the pannier into the circle of your heels. The 13liter dry bags are oval shaped and would hang down about 9". It would take some experimentation with straps and bungies but you could probably come up with a neat method for securing the bags.

https://www.ortlieb.com/_pdf_en/radtasche_en.pdf
I must have been looking at the shipping size or something... Looking at the link above, I'd want something Front Roller or Sport Packer Plus in size.

I'm guessing these would be OK for a road bike?
Old 11-28-14, 09:42 AM
gerard2013

Bikes: Domane 4.5, Miyata 1000, Bike Friday

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wondering what you came up with and how it worked for you?
Old 11-28-14, 03:19 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I used four Seattle Sports Fast Pack panniers, 750 cubic inches each, and they are pretty compact and waterproof, about $40 each. Two of those and a rack trunk bag might be all you need, if you are not hauling a tent, sleeping bag & pad, cook stove, etc. I saw other riders with Ortleib panniers and they seemed thicker than mine, so presented more of a cross section for wind resistance. However, if you are averaging 16+ mph, maybe you have stronger legs than I have. The best I could average was 12+ mph altho on a heavy touring hybrid. FWIW, I used Blackburn Outpost Front Rack, about $90-100, but I have disc brakes. Use blue locktite on your mounting hardware and carry spare fasteners and tools. The rear rack came on the bike as new. If you go with only two panniers, put the rack trunk bag on top of the other rack.
Old 11-28-14, 07:17 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pacificcyclist
The Streamliner DLX rack is not sturdy enough to hold 30lbs of load -- it will flex and the brake bridge can snap off if using stock part. The skewer thin plates will bend and sag as well.
I have a Streamliner and agree with all of the above. I just use it with a grocery pannier when I want to carry a bit on the road bike. I wouldn't use it to carry too much for very far. Plus, the width at the top is very skinny. It's easier, and faster, to put the Axiom grocery bag on the side than it is try to strap something on the narrow top.