Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hi again: I'm back from China (w/ride pics)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 11:38 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Hi -- I used to haunt this board a few years ago and then I disappeared for a 2.5-year posting in Beijing, China. I'm back; hi to those of you from the old days still hanging out , and hello to new 50+ers.

I didn't do a lot of serious riding in Beijing, but I did take a converted MTB that I used for awhile as a city/commuter bike and I rode quite frequently around Beijing. (I posted some ride photos at the end of this thread about 18 months ago: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ing-china.html ). I tried to ride most weekends in Beijing, but usually just roaming the back streets of Beijing, nothing too strenuous (the air is as bad as you've probably read about).

I did some more interesting riding last fall in southern China near Yangshoul, the popular rural tourist area south of Guilin. My son and I were visiting for a few days and we found a guide w/access to some pretty decent mountain bikes and he led us on a half-day ramble through lots of back roads. Here's photos from the trip I thought you might enjoy. Meanwhile, I'm trying to ride myself back into shape...got my Seattle "rain bike" back into riding shape and getting ready for a wet winter here in the Pacific Northwest. Great to be back breathing fresh air again, see you around...

Old 10-25-14, 07:54 AM
JetAgeHobo

Bikes: Lotus 300M, Raleigh Revinio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi and welcome back. Did the bike and guide rental in Yangshoui, a few years back, simply amazing. Rode up the Li river bank, picked up one of those bamboo pole rafts, rode back down the river. Start of the ride back down another raft comes over selling beer, so of course had to pick up a Tsing Tao for myself and the guy poling the raft. One of those trips with a ton of great memories. One of these days, have to go back.
Old 10-25-14, 08:18 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Amazing pics.
Old 10-25-14, 11:26 AM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Hello Benge! Great and interesting photos! I think I remember you having posted photos from your last stint there, where the photos were of more urban scenes and the cycling was treacherous because of the volume of bikes and an "anything goes" attitude amongst the cyclists. Do I remember that correctly?
Old 10-25-14, 12:37 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Hello Benge! Great and interesting photos! I think I remember you having posted photos from your last stint there, where the photos were of more urban scenes and the cycling was treacherous because of the volume of bikes and an "anything goes" attitude amongst the cyclists. Do I remember that correctly?
Yes that was me. Riding in Beijing is a bit of a mixed bag. There are still a ton of bikes on the streets, and really safe protected bike lines on many of the major streets. And lots of the back streets in the old part of the town -- the famous Beijing hutongs -- are marvelous to ride around in. But there is a lot of craziness too -- electric delivery carts going the wrong-way coming at you in the bike lines, incredibly aggressive and chaotic drivers, peddlers setting up food stands in the middle of bike lanes, etc. Once you get it in your head that nobody is looking out for you and you might get killed at any minute you can actually learn how to ride pretty safely.

Here's some riding in Beijing pics:

My bike in front of Tiananmen gate:

My bike in front of the Great Hall of the People (on Tiananmen Square)

Last edited by BengeBoy; 11-02-14 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-25-14, 12:41 PM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Distracted driver:

Typical back street riding:

View from my office on a bad air day:

Old 10-25-14, 12:44 PM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JetAgeHobo
Hi and welcome back. Did the bike and guide rental in Yangshoui, a few years back, simply amazing. Rode up the Li river bank, picked up one of those bamboo pole rafts, rode back down the river. Start of the ride back down another raft comes over selling beer, so of course had to pick up a Tsing Tao for myself and the guy poling the raft. One of those trips with a ton of great memories. One of these days, have to go back.
Sounds like we went to the same place. We had a super day riding there -- I think because our guide was a real bike enthusiast, he knew all the back routes and we were cross and criss-crossing some of the more popular routes, but for the most part he kept us on little lanes and dirt paths and out of the way of the crowds.
Old 10-25-14, 02:52 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, welcome back!
Great pictures of cycling in the mountains.

I'd be dead in a month or of two breathing Beijing air. What a challenge the country (and world) is facing.
Old 10-25-14, 05:57 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Fantastic story and pictures Benge, its great to have you back, finally. I remember your posting about leaving for a while for China, that seems like a long time ago now. Now you can get some respiratory therapy for the lungs after that air quality there. The shots of the air quality for the Beijing stage of the Tour of China were gruesome, as were the marathon's pics, in the paper and on line. Glad you are posting here again.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-25-14, 08:15 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
We were able to rent bikes on top of the city wall in Xi'an for a ride when I was in China last year. The Hutong in Beijing I visited was pretty tight space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PB031670.jpg (97.9 KB, 9 views)
PA311218.jpg (99.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-25-14, 08:28 PM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
We were able to rent bikes on top of the city wall in Xi'an for a ride when I was in China last year.
I loved the city walls in Xi'an. We were tempted to rent a bike but instead took a long, leisurely walk along the walls w/my wife, peering down on the neighborhoods below. One of my favorite memories of China.
Old 10-25-14, 08:36 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I loved the city walls in Xi'an.
We stayed up until after dark when they lit up all the pagodas. It was really beautiful.
The canals in Suzhou were pretty cool too.
Attached Images
PB031691 - Copy.jpg (99.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dedhed; 10-25-14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-26-14, 09:27 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for posting - people don't realize how stunning and varied China's scenery is! I have been in Beijing the last three years in October, and I've been lucky with beautiful fall days with blue skies, so ya never know. I biked around the city in the 90's, but now there are too many heavy electric bikes and scooters clogging the bike lanes, which kinda scared me off this time.
Old 10-26-14, 07:39 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Great pictures and adventure Benge! Welcome back to the PNW.
Old 10-26-14, 08:10 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I loved the city walls in Xi'an. We were tempted to rent a bike but instead took a long, leisurely walk along the walls w/my wife, peering down on the neighborhoods below. One of my favorite memories of China.
Nice pics! Brings back memories of my 3 week stay in China a few years ago.
I was studying in Nanjing University. Nanjing has one of the oldest protective
walls in all of China, and you're allowed to ride rented bikes on it. Best part is
the pollution is not so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi01...6zPoymgKaIoDLA
Old 10-26-14, 08:17 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
welcome back, I am fortunate to spend most summers for a few weeks in China each year, cars are fine, its those crazy electric scooter folks, plan to to do a double century around Lake Tai, Taihu next year
Old 10-26-14, 09:25 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Welcome back Steve!!