Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nitto AS-1 Rear Hanger ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Nitto AS-1 Rear Hanger ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 08:31 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Nitto AS-1 Rear Hanger ?

I'm doing a 650b conversion to my Fuji S12-S and bought a Nitto AS-1 Rear Cable Hanger for the rear brake cable I'll be running to the centerpull brakes. When I put the Nitto Hanger on I"ve got in in the center of the seat post coller area with the bolt passing through it. It hangs quite loosely. Will this be ok like this once it's all cabled up?

I've never used one of these before and while they seem well received by others I wonder if I'm mounting it wrong or it it's rigid enough once the cable housing and cable is mounted with it.
Old 09-23-16, 11:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
The hanger will seek it's own orientation controlled by the cable geometry/tension and the brake's placement. There might be a small amount of hanger/cable movement during the initial brake application, as the cable tensions up. In some cases this movement can be felt as slop or mushiness. This is why I always preferred a solidly located hanger. And one more example of why glowing reports from mags that also sell products are to be taken with some salt... Andy.
Old 09-23-16, 02:04 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The hanger will seek it's own orientation controlled by the cable geometry/tension and the brake's placement. There might be a small amount of hanger/cable movement during the initial brake application, as the cable tensions up. In some cases this movement can be felt as slop or mushiness. This is why I always preferred a solidly located hanger. And one more example of why glowing reports from mags that also sell products are to be taken with some salt... Andy.
Yep,

Gonna order what my gut said to use in the first place. If the brakes get in before the part I'll just steal one of the more solid mounted hangers off either the Peugeot or Kona so I can get this this out for a ride.
Old 09-23-16, 06:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Once there's tension on the cable the hanger will stay put. Allowing the hanger to float freely on the seat binder bolt means that adjusting the seat post binder (i.e. raising or lowering the saddle) won't affect your brake adjustment.