Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for Endurance Road Bike Recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 02:38 PM
hurla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

I'm looking for a reliable endurance road bike with the following wishlist. I'm a hobby cyclist who does around 100km per week.

Price - approx £1000
Brakes - Disc brakes if possible
Cassette - 10 or 11

Anything out there which might fit that wish list?

Or am I being too stubborn about disc brakes? They really seem to drive the price up. If I had to go with rim brakes, would it introduce more attractive options to buy?

Last edited by hurla; 07-31-19 at 07:39 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-25-19, 04:19 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.the-house.com/qfrrdzcr15...med-bikes.html
Old 07-25-19, 04:23 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Disc brakes are a want, certainly not a need. Watch the tour today? The wicked fast descent and the rim brakes covered it without trouble. Sure, if you are super human like the pros, discs may allow you to brake deeper into a corner, but really, who are we kidding, ourselves? Drop the disc requirement and even the 11 speed requirement and your world will open up. Raise the entry price and your world will turn on its head!
Old 07-26-19, 03:05 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
There is a long distance forum; just scroll down the list of forums Regular posters there might not visit this general cycling forum. Perhaps the moderator can move this thread.

Disc brakes aren't necessary.
Old 07-26-19, 03:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
The OP didn't say what kind of riding he was going to be doing, so the long distance forum might not be the right place for this thread. There are a number of threads about endurance bikes there though https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...rance-cycling/
I can move the thread if they want me to.
Old 07-26-19, 07:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by hurla
Hey all,

I'm looking for a reliable endurance road bike with only the following criteria being non-negotiable.
Any other options such as frame, wheels, etc, I am flexible with:

Price - approx £1000
Brakes - Disc brakes
Cassette - 10 or 11

Or am I being too stubborn about disc brakes? They really seem to drive the price up. If I had to go with rim brakes, would it introduce more attractive options to buy?
My dearest and I have been devoted riders of the Addict for many, many years. Great on long or short rides. The latest model Scott Addict 30 Disc meets your criteria, but it may be slightly above your price range.
Old 07-26-19, 08:04 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
It has been said many time before, if you are going to be on a bike for several hours you want one that fits you and is comfortable. Throw that into your multiple regression equation of what you want versus what you need?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 07-27-19, 06:42 AM
hurla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The OP didn't say what kind of riding he was going to be doing, so the long distance forum might not be the right place for this thread. There are a number of threads about endurance bikes there though https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...rance-cycling/
I can move the thread if they want me to.
Sorry, I will mostly be doing just fitness cycling for myself - no racing. I won't be doing long distance either - max 100km. Also the roads where I live are generally in poor condition and the climate can be quite wet. The reason I want an endurance bike is that I read they have the right balance between comfort and speed. I cycle a hybrid at the moment and it's really quite heavy and sluggish, although I do find the upright position comfortable as I suffer from back pain.

Last edited by hurla; 07-27-19 at 06:45 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-27-19, 06:46 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
You would think so but not necessarily. My RT-1000 is an endurance bike but was not comfortable to ride until I upgraded my saddle, changed to 28 mm tires and added a Fulcrum wheel set. It is now an enjoyable bike to ride both centuries and long ascents.
Old 07-27-19, 06:53 AM
bradyweb

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra | Fuji Sportif 1.5 - 2017 | Windsor Cyclo Cross Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Fuji has some quality options for you and I feel they check every box on your list. I can recommend the Sportif.

Fuji Bikes | Endurance
Old 07-27-19, 07:23 AM
hurla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradyweb
Fuji has some quality options for you and I feel they check every box on your list. I can recommend the Sportif.

Fuji Bikes | Endurance
The Sportif 1.5 Disc looks pretty awesome. Have you had any issues with the Sportif? For example, I notice the tyres are 700 x 30c which seems pretty thick for a road bike.

Last edited by hurla; 07-27-19 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added question
Old 07-27-19, 03:46 PM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/841/pr...rbonwhite.aspx
Old 07-28-19, 07:24 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
I just bought a Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc (aluminum) and I think it meets your criteria. There are versions with Sora or Tiara group sets also, so I’m pretty sure there’s a model at your price point. It’s extremely comfortable and fun to ride.
Old 07-28-19, 09:01 PM
bradyweb

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra | Fuji Sportif 1.5 - 2017 | Windsor Cyclo Cross Bike

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
The Sportif 1.5 Disc looks pretty awesome. Have you had any issues with the Sportif? For example, I notice the tyres are 700 x 30c which seems pretty thick for a road bike.
My Sportif is a 2017 and at that time it came with 28mm tires. I love them and I wouldn't hesitate to go to 30mm tires. Wider tires are becoming much more popular now. They aren't as wide as you might imagine. Creates a smooth and stable ride but still fast. It's not like they are wide like a mountain bike tire or anything like that.

And I have had no issues. I really like the bike as I have 2000 miles on it now.
Likes For bradyweb:
Old 07-29-19, 11:11 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Bro, I think you need to go to some LBSes and ride some bikes. A reviewer's idea of comfort may not be yours.

Also, if you like the upright riding posture, perhaps you need a higher-end hybrid rather than a road bike.
Old 07-30-19, 02:32 PM
hurla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Bro, I think you need to go to some LBSes and ride some bikes. A reviewer's idea of comfort may not be yours.

Also, if you like the upright riding posture, perhaps you need a higher-end hybrid rather than a road bike.
Higher-end means higher cost and I am trying to keep it under €1000. I ride a hybrid atm and it's a great bike but it's heavy and slow. I do think I would enjoy a road bike more. But your point about trying some bikes at the local shop is a good one - I will def do that.

Last edited by hurla; 07-31-19 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 06:42 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Another vote for the Cannondale Synapse. Simply a great ride that can be hammered on with good results.
Old 07-31-19, 04:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Hey all,

I'm looking for a reliable endurance road bike with only the following criteria being non-negotiable.
Any other options such as frame, wheels, etc, I am flexible with:

Price - approx £1000
Brakes - Disc brakes
Cassette - 10 or 11

As noted, I don't know exactly how you intend to ride. But, if you can find a 2018 CAAD 12 W/discs and 105 for your price point, I think you will be very happy. Mine is not disc but I bought it for $1300 and it is quick and comfortable. It's 11 sp w/ mid-compact gearing. Here's a pic:
Old 07-31-19, 05:19 AM
hurla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
As noted, I don't know exactly how you intend to ride. But, if you can find a 2018 CAAD 12 W/discs and 105 for your price point, I think you will be very happy. Mine is not disc but I bought it for $1300 and it is quick and comfortable. It's 11 sp w/ mid-compact gearing. Here's a pic:
Looks like a good bike.

I found a second hand CAAD X with disc brakes and Shimano 105 for sale online for 600 Euro. The spec looks similar to your bike.
Old 07-31-19, 05:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Looks like a good bike.

I found a second hand CAAD X with disc brakes and Shimano 105 for sale online for 600 Euro. The spec looks similar to your bike.
I don't know if this applies to the bike you saw but there's a recall.....https://www.outsideonline.com/240032...clocross-bikes
Old 07-31-19, 06:42 AM
hurla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I don't know if this applies to the bike you saw but there's a recall.....https://www.outsideonline.com/240032...clocross-bikes
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up on that. I will check it out.
Old 07-31-19, 10:34 AM
hurla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
I just bought a Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc (aluminum) and I think it meets your criteria. There are versions with Sora or Tiara group sets also, so I’m pretty sure there’s a model at your price point. It’s extremely comfortable and fun to ride.
I just got back from a bike shop which had the same model - Cannondale Synapse 2019, alloy w/Disc brakes, and Shimano 105 groupset . It was €999. Seems like a pretty reasonable price. Mind if I ask how much you paid for yours? Also, I wasn't convinced the saddle was great, but it might have just been a basic stock saddle. How have you found the saddle?

Last edited by hurla; 07-31-19 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 10:52 AM
noOriginalNames

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Trek Domane
Cannondale Synapse
Giant Defy
Specialized Roubiax
Cervelo C3

Lots of great options out there, any of the big brands or brands sold at a local specialty bike shop would serve you well. You could also look at some gravel bikes, they typicially have excellent tire clearance and similar geometry to an endurance road bike. Ride a bunch and find what is most comfortable to you and the suits the type of riding you will be doing. The geometry will probably separate how they feel more than the parts on them in the lower price range. Most importantly of all, make sure you get the right size! I learned a very important lesson about sizing when I was new to road riding that cost me a pile of extra money and spent a year trying to make a bike work when it was just the wrong size.
Old 07-31-19, 11:59 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Trek Domane. I'm biased.
Old 07-31-19, 12:10 PM
hurla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noOriginalNames
Trek Domane
Cannondale Synapse
Giant Defy
Specialized Roubiax
Cervelo C3

Lots of great options out there, any of the big brands or brands sold at a local specialty bike shop would serve you well. You could also look at some gravel bikes, they typicially have excellent tire clearance and similar geometry to an endurance road bike. Ride a bunch and find what is most comfortable to you and the suits the type of riding you will be doing. The geometry will probably separate how they feel more than the parts on them in the lower price range. Most importantly of all, make sure you get the right size! I learned a very important lesson about sizing when I was new to road riding that cost me a pile of extra money and spent a year trying to make a bike work when it was just the wrong size.
You didn't get fitted when buying? Or maybe bought online??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.