Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 07:13 AM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tire suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions for some comfortable, fast rolling tires? I'm currently running Michellin Carbon 23c tires on my Salsa Casseroll. I want something more comfortable, sized between 28cm and 32cm. Flat resistance isn't all that important... I'm more concerned about rolling resistance and comfort. The tires will be used for long distance rides (double centuries; etc).

Panaracer Paselas (the standard, non tour-guard model) seem like they might work out well... but I'm not sure. I'm currently using the tourguard version of these tires on my touring bike and have been satisfied with them.
Old 01-10-08, 08:09 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Grand Bois 30mm tires are lightweight, have low rolling resistance, and provide a smooth ride. You can order them from vintagebicyclepress.com. There's also a 28mm version now for bikes that cannot take a 30mm tire.
Old 01-10-08, 09:02 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found the Gran Bois Cypress to be a relatively fragile tire. The thin, supple casing certainly is comfortable, but it doesn't deal with punctures very well. After a 300k, I switched back to Panaracer Paselas and found these to be a little less forgiving, but a lot less flat-prone.

Though, now that my tires are wearing thin, I'm idly considering giving the Cypress another try, especially now that there's a 28mm version (my previous 30s also tended to be a tight squeeze underneath the fenders.
Old 01-10-08, 09:44 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I've been happy with Panaracer Paselas (35 label, 32 actual), Schwalbe Marathon Racers (32,30), Rolly Polly's (27,27) and am currently running Jack Brown green label (33.5, 32). I haven't had flats with any of them.
Old 01-10-08, 09:45 AM
Marcello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Continental 4 Seasons in a 700x28 for the past year, and I am very pleased with them. I find them very comfortable at 90-100 psi, and they are reasonably light, fast, and flat resistant.
Old 01-10-08, 11:48 AM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really like the Grand Bois (GB) Cypres 700x30's that I've been running (flat-free) for nearly 3000 miles of brevets (including PBP). But they're awfully pricey compared with the Panaracer Pasela wire-beads at $14 apiece. I've run the Pana Pasela TourGuard 700x32's for thousands of flat-free miles, so my next pair of tires will be the non-TourGuard version, which I anticipate will be not-quite-as-nice as the GB's, but good enough for regular brevets. I'll switch back to the GB's for time-critical brevets like a 600K or 1200K. I've also ridden Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x28's with only one flat during many thousands of miles (including BMB). They're a fine tire, but I really like the road-cushioning from the larger volume of the GB's or Pana Paselas.
Old 01-10-08, 11:53 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenword
I found the Gran Bois Cypress to be a relatively fragile tire. The thin, supple casing certainly is comfortable, but it doesn't deal with punctures very well. After a 300k, I switched back to Panaracer Paselas and found these to be a little less forgiving, but a lot less flat-prone.

Though, now that my tires are wearing thin, I'm idly considering giving the Cypress another try, especially now that there's a 28mm version (my previous 30s also tended to be a tight squeeze underneath the fenders.
I've got about 7000 miles on my set and have had four punctures (two in wet conditions from lubricated glass). That's quite acceptable to me. The rear tire is getting pretty worn, but still going strong. I run my tires at 75-85 psi depending on the expected road conditions. The 95 psi on the sidewall would negate much of the comfort and probably lead to more punctures.

I wouldn't use these tires for urban commuting as they certainly don't have any particular puncture resistance, but for long distance riding, they have excelled for me.
Old 01-10-08, 12:13 PM
matthew_deaner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. It sounds like the Paselas are somewhat comperable to the Grand Bois. Does anyone know how they compare to the Grand Bois tires in terms of rolling resistance? Bicycle Quarterly did a study last year, and I think they looked at the Panaracer tires.

BTW - I just sent in my subscription for Bicycle Quarterly last week, and purchased the back issues with tire tests... but I'm sure it'll be a few weeks before the magazine arrives.

Thanks again!
Old 01-10-08, 12:17 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12191 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Paselas roll surprisingly well for a belted tire. I may try the Pasela TG myself next year. I put a pair on my sister's bike, was surprised at how well they rolled.

If you don't care about flats, the Roly Poly is very nice.
Old 01-10-08, 12:25 PM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
I've got about 7000 miles on my set and have had four punctures (two in wet conditions from lubricated glass). That's quite acceptable to me. The rear tire is getting pretty worn, but still going strong. I run my tires at 75-85 psi depending on the expected road conditions. The 95 psi on the sidewall would negate much of the comfort and probably lead to more punctures.

I wouldn't use these tires for urban commuting as they certainly don't have any particular puncture resistance, but for long distance riding, they have excelled for me.
yeah, mine had four punctures in about a 1000 miles, which was unacceptable. But I also used them on a commuter, and part of the plan for this year, if I were to go back to using Gran Bois tires, would be to just keep them on a bike that's only used for brevets, and pull my touring bike out for commuting, and keep the tourer running on Pasela Tourguards or Specialized Armadillos.
Old 01-10-08, 01:16 PM
JackJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Matt,

While you and I are swapping parts, I've got a set of non-TG Pasela 32s you're welcome to try. I'd intended them for my Milwaukee back when I was running a carbon fork, but they wouldn't fit the fork. Tried just the rear for a while, but it made removing the wheel difficult unless I deflated the tire first.

I'm looking forward to getting some Grand Bois for my new Ebisu, but not until I've got the bike and parts paid off.

I've got all the BQ issues if you ever want to borrow them.

Chris
Old 01-10-08, 01:22 PM
matthew_deaner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JackJ
Hey Matt,

While you and I are swapping parts, I've got a set of non-TG Pasela 32s you're welcome to try. I'd intended them for my Milwaukee back when I was running a carbon fork, but they wouldn't fit the fork. Tried just the rear for a while, but it made removing the wheel difficult unless I deflated the tire first.

I'm looking forward to getting some Grand Bois for my new Ebisu, but not until I've got the bike and parts paid off.

I've got all the BQ issues if you ever want to borrow them.

Chris
Thanks! I'll take you up on that offer.
I forgot to e-mail you back about that stem... It is 100mm - I still need to check to see if the handlebar diameter is 25.6mm or 26mm. I'll have a look tonight... won't forget this time. If it's not 26mm, sometimes I volunteer at a bike coop, and there are lots of old parts there. I'm sure I can find one.