Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bianchi frame identification help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 12:02 PM
tstanev84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bianchi frame identification help!

Hey guys, im new here and basicly registered to ask you for some help and tips, recently i got interested in vintage bikes so i coudnt resist and bought one yesterday! Changed the tires, the saddle and went out for a ride it was pretty fun, switching from dual controls to old style gear shifters was the best The frame is painted really weird, so i guess someone wearing pyjamas made his day, havent seen Bianchi like this, also on the bottom there are two markings - "9 C" and "3333". Ill post few pictures bellow hope not to mess them up, thanks for all the help guys, have a nice ride!

Overall paint looks pretty funny, but its quite good quality so im confused is it factory one or not.

The fork have some nice details
Old 08-18-18, 12:11 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Interesting paint job, sort of Colnagoesque. The fork looks like a Bianchi fork from the late '80s but I am not so sure about the frame. The three things I would most like to see are not quite visible. What brand are the dropouts? Is there anything on the seatstay caps? Is there any markings on the head tube / down tube lug? Can you read any threading size on the bottom bracket cups?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-18-18, 12:48 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The serial number in conjunction with the frame features suggest one of the three SLX models from 1989. The Mondiale had a chromed chainstay, so if that is actual plating, then it's a repainted Mondiale. The Super Leggera and Giro didn't have chrome plating, so if that's adhesive chrome foil on the chainstay, then it's one of these. The Giro was available in black but it was a matt black. Still. this could have been clear gloss coated before the white accents were airbrushed. Or it might be a complete repaint. Regardless of the actual model, it's a frankenbike build and the decals are incorrect for the era.
Old 08-18-18, 12:54 PM
tstanev84

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello there, overall there are no markings but the fork ones, seatstay caps and head tube - tube lugs are clear but the decals. Quite sure the dropouts were saing "gipiemme" but i have to take a look again (same with the cups), left the bike to a friend mechanic to swap the cassette and fix this and that so ill check your points when i get it back. Thanks
Old 08-18-18, 01:08 PM
tstanev84

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial number in conjunction with the frame features suggest one of the three SLX models from 1989. The Mondiale had a chromed chainstay, so if that is actual plating, then it's a repainted Mondiale. The Super Leggera and Giro didn't have chrome plating, so if that's adhesive chrome foil on the chainstay, then it's one of these. The Giro was available in black but it was a matt black. Still. this could have been clear gloss coated before the white accents were airbrushed. Or it might be a complete repaint. Regardless of the actual model, it's a frankenbike build and the decals are incorrect for the era.
Yeah, its quite the frankenbike build, firstly i was considering to repaint it in classic celeste colour but im starting to like the strange look of it. Still if i decide to repaint it it will be nice to know what kind of decals to look for and not to repeat the same mistake I paid 200 euro so in any situation ill happy with the bike
Likes For tstanev84:
Old 08-20-18, 09:36 AM
tstanev84

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Interesting paint job, sort of Colnagoesque. The fork looks like a Bianchi fork from the late '80s but I am not so sure about the frame. The three things I would most like to see are not quite visible. What brand are the dropouts? Is there anything on the seatstay caps? Is there any markings on the head tube / down tube lug? Can you read any threading size on the bottom bracket cups?
Have some new info, BB cups are marked "36x28F right lock Campagnolo" BB size is 70mm, and seatpost diameter is 27.2 mm. Other than that there are no visual markings on the frame itself. Thanks for the help
Old 08-20-18, 09:59 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
IIRC, most framesets eith Gippieme DO's were mid level model frames, not SLX tubed, TOL frames with were usually made with Campagnolo DO's by manufacturers. Whether that "rule" changed during the early 90's', I'm not sure...
Old 08-20-18, 10:30 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
IIRC, most framesets eith Gippieme DO's were mid level model frames, not SLX tubed, TOL frames with were usually made with Campagnolo DO's by manufacturers. Whether that "rule" changed during the early 90's', I'm not sure...

The subject bicycle is a 1989 model based on the serial number and all the Columbus tubed USA models that year used Gipemme dropouts according to my literature. In fact, with the exception of the X-4, the Columbus tubed frames for the USA market were spec'd with Gipiemme dropouts as far back as 1987.
Old 08-20-18, 10:34 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Leave it alone. The paint is neat. Ride it, and enjoy it.

You need to squat down a little, and take close, but level pics of the frame, and components. Don't be afraid to get close.
Old 08-20-18, 11:35 AM
tstanev84

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker

You need to squat down a little, and take close, but level pics of the frame, and components. Don't be afraid to get close.
Yeah you are right, and thats what im working on, getting the bike into ridable condition. Sadly ill probably have to equip it with new groupset, rear and front derailleurs are kinda deformed and dont really like noises when riding a bike, apart from that the feeling is great!
Old 08-20-18, 01:37 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
THIS! Celeste is nice, but you'll never see another one like this! Almost looks like something from Landshark.

SP
OC, OR
Old 05-01-19, 07:24 PM
tstanev84

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey guys, here to give u update on my Bianchi frankenthing, hope u like the new look
Old 05-03-19, 04:57 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I like it. The black-and-white scheme, but not too much black. The shocking but subtle night sky theme, skillfully and tastefully done, in moderation. A tiny bit of celeste. Rare, indeed. Ride on!
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 05-03-19, 05:46 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I love that paint job.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-04-19, 08:33 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Fun bike for $225.00ish. Great paint job. No need to do anything to it.
Old 05-04-19, 09:29 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Usually I don't like custom air brushing and clear coat over original paint but this job is really well done and suites the bike. As for model i would agree it is likely a 89 Giro. great looking bike at a very good price.
Old 07-01-19, 10:53 AM
tstanev84

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New update, dont know if its relevant but found a marked lug on the seat tube

"P-11"
Old 07-01-19, 03:38 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
That bike and paint job is celeste-ial!
Old 07-01-19, 04:17 PM
tstanev84

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by imakecircles
That bike and paint job is celeste-ial!
Hahaha took me few seconds to get that, good one!!! )