Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chinese eBay Gas Motor?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chinese eBay Gas Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 06:26 PM
Eaglo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chinese eBay Gas Motor?

https://cgi.ebay.com/MOTOR-bicycle-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem

alright... so I can be a bit lazy some times, we all can. Does anyone know anything about this product? I am a little wary when investing a large sum (close to 200 dollars) on a product from a country that sold toxic dog food, and puts lead(Pb) into baby toys...

Yeah, so if you know anything post it, suggestions, any comments, idea, lawnmower hacks, anything. Thanks.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cQHfdWrsHaY
^entertainment
Old 03-03-08, 06:33 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've seen those and it just always seemed like a solution without a problem. If I wanted a motorcycle, I'd buy a motorcycle.

Be sure and check your local laws before buying. In some places, these are "bicycles" without any regulation, but apparently in some places, they fall under motorcycle laws, only they don't meet motorcycle requirements, so you can't use them.
Old 03-03-08, 09:17 PM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And you would get service parts where?
Old 03-03-08, 09:26 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are simple, cheap, and easy to install on a bike(Easier than a lawn mower hack) They are also dirty because most of them are two strokes(In the grand scheme they don't compare to one junker car with bad valve seals) The motors are cast to fit the down tube, come with mounting kits for the gear to the wheel, and have a simple clutch.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 03-03-08, 09:57 PM
EricJ

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Comp w/FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eaglo
[url]I am a little wary when investing a large sum (close to 200 dollars) on a product from a country that sold toxic dog food, and puts lead(Pb) into baby toys...
I'd say go with your instincts.

Eric
Old 03-04-08, 08:51 AM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my bike so I CAN pedal. I see no need for this type of product. I would be particularly concerned about the quality of an engine and accessories that you can buy brand new for $109. Looks like this will, in the end, be another tuition payment to the school of hard knocks IMHO.
Old 03-04-08, 09:43 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
If gas goes up much more, I think we'll see more and more of these contraptions on the road. In my state, I would need to insure and register it before I could legally take it on the road, but there are differences in specifications between motorcycles and motorized bicycles. Note that some of those Chinese engines are 80cc and most state limits are 50cc.

<snip>
from a country that sold toxic dog food, and puts lead(Pb) into baby toys...
</snip>

They only ship what manufacturers spec. Why do you think Mattel apologized to China instead of the other way 'round? Not that Mattel said specifically to use lead paint, but if they didn't ask for lead free paint, it's their problem, not a China quality control or public safety issue. Also, how can Mattel sell to kids with no independent product testing on what they import? Don't blame China for domestic screw-ups or policy lapses.
Old 03-04-08, 10:05 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have one. I ordered a kit from kingsmotorbikes.com 3 years ago and consequently rolled up over 5,000 miles on mine. I use mine to ride to Wal-mart to pick up grocery's and other goods. Before I do that I stop by a Cafe for a meal. Yes, I could do this on my "real" bike but then I would be in cycling kit and sweaty. I did that a few times and attracted too much attention, both good and bad. I was also stalked by a few Cougars. I don't need that kind of harassment. I also go to a few motorcycle events on it. You would be surprised at the number of people that think it's an antique motorbike from the early 1920's.
Here is a photo of mine.

These bicycle engine kits are designed to be installed on the Chinese built copy of the Raleigh bicycle the British brought with them when they were controlling that area of there Empire. They call it the Flying Pidgin. Here is a photo of a Flying Pidgin with engine kit installed.

Parts are very easy to obtain with no import restrictions from China. Complete 2-cycle engine kits are illegal to import since Jan-1-2006 but due to the popularity of them there still being imported by sneaking them across our open NAFTA borders.

Last edited by n4zou; 03-04-08 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-04-08, 10:06 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm with Rev Chuck on this one.

The 2-stroke engines are dirty, so dirty in fact that they are no longer legal to import or even trade in California. Look around and you will find many vendors that no longer sell these due to the EPA law revision. Although you may still be able to find parts through back alley resources, expect the same amount of success as trying to return drugs that don't meet spec back to a drug dealer.

There are still 4-stroke engine kits available from reputable vendors. Still made in China, but with more longevity and parts availability into the future.
Old 03-04-08, 10:29 AM
n4zou
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScrubJ
And you would get service parts where?
Here, there, and from anyone selling Chinese bicycle engine kits.

https://www.simpsonmotorbikes.com/newparts.html

https://www.spookytoothcycles.com/

Retail dealer list here: https://www.grubeeinc.com/

Anyone selling Chinese engine kits will also have spare parts as well, including ebay dealers. When you bulk order engine kits to resell as a dealer you get spare parts as well. Way more spare parts than you need! If you watch ebay you'll notice some dealers will "Grab bag" package parts. They will just start putting parts in a standard UPS box until it's full. They do this because there running out of shelf space for parts.
Old 03-04-08, 11:48 AM
tzracer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
I'm with Rev Chuck on this one.

The 2-stroke engines are dirty, so dirty in fact that they are no longer legal to import or even trade in California. Look around and you will find many vendors that no longer sell these due to the EPA law revision. Although you may still be able to find parts through back alley resources, expect the same amount of success as trying to return drugs that don't meet spec back to a drug dealer.
Not all 2strokes are dirty. Evinrude is selling 2 stroke outboards in California.

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About....htm?popup=true
https://www.evinrude.com/en-CA/E-Tec/...er.Quieter.htm
Old 03-04-08, 05:18 PM
n4zou
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tzracer
Not all 2strokes are dirty. Evinrude is selling 2 stroke outboards in California.

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About....htm?popup=true
https://www.evinrude.com/en-CA/E-Tec/...er.Quieter.htm
Synthetic 2-cycle oil is a vast improvement over older 2-cycle oil blends. Thats the reason Evinrude has started building and selling new 2-cycle engines that can pass even the strictest EPA rules. The EPA thought the new standards could never be passed by any 2-cycle engine, but the industry has done just that. I run Synthetic oil mixed in the gas for my motorbike. It does not smoke or smell. It certainly does not emit black smoke or smell like a lot of the "approved" 4-cycle engines I see on cheap lawn mowers and other yard care equipment.
Old 03-04-08, 08:22 PM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
Here, there, and from anyone selling Chinese bicycle engine kits.

https://www.simpsonmotorbikes.com/newparts.html

https://www.spookytoothcycles.com/

Retail dealer list here: https://www.grubeeinc.com/

Anyone selling Chinese engine kits will also have spare parts as well, including ebay dealers. When you bulk order engine kits to resell as a dealer you get spare parts as well. Way more spare parts than you need! If you watch ebay you'll notice some dealers will "Grab bag" package parts. They will just start putting parts in a standard UPS box until it's full. They do this because there running out of shelf space for parts.
Uh, yeah... As far as I can tell, there are several versions of these engines not all compatible with each other. What happens when your new purchase doesn't work right? Exactly how mechanical are you??? I've been a professional mechanic for better than 30 years, love to see those self help jobs.
Old 03-04-08, 08:23 PM
Eaglo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
If gas goes up much more, I think we'll see more and more of these contraptions on the road. In my state, I would need to insure and register it before I could legally take it on the road, but there are differences in specifications between motorcycles and motorized bicycles. Note that some of those Chinese engines are 80cc and most state limits are 50cc.

<snip>
from a country that sold toxic dog food, and puts lead(Pb) into baby toys...
</snip>
totally agree with the gas thing... and the biggest reason is because I lifeguard at a "local" beach club... about 6 miles away, I was figuring mounting this on my tallbike and cruisin there and back each day and for lunch breaks.
Old 03-04-08, 11:42 PM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, guys, a motorized bicycle isn't a mind-blower. It's what all early motorcycles were. Like dig this early Ducati. Note that it's a kit for modifying bikes.

It looks like a perfectly fun, if noisy and dirty, project. I mean, I'd want to do it just to enjoy the machine, but I'd miss the pedaling and the ever-greater awesomeness of my calves. But the machine itself looks like a ball.
Old 03-05-08, 09:32 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
My grandson bought one of those motor kits at a garage sale some years ago. He used an old Schwinn middleweight bike and rebuilt the wheelset with larger spokes. This was doubly important on the rear wheel, as the engine drives the wheel through a device attached to the spokes. Major weakness is the brake system, which isn't designed for motorized use. It started & ran well, so he rode it all over for his small town in Tennesee until he received several warnings from the local police. He eventually sold it and moved on to other things. You should have some mechanical ability and have the sense to keep your speed low if you try this. edit: I read somewhere that the founder of Honda manufactured a kit to motorize bicycles after WWII!
Old 03-05-08, 09:39 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If I were to motorize a bike, I would go electric.

Read through the Electric Bikes forum for good info on these.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-05-08, 10:15 AM
n4zou
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScrubJ
Uh, yeah... As far as I can tell, there are several versions of these engines not all compatible with each other. What happens when your new purchase doesn't work right? Exactly how mechanical are you??? I've been a professional mechanic for better than 30 years, love to see those self help jobs.
I went to high school during the day and trade school evenings to become a Machinist. I worked as a Machinist until jimmy carter killed the economy. I consequently joined the Navy and become a Gas Turbine Systems tech, both electrical/electronics (GSE) and mechanic (GSM) holding both ratings. At the end of my enlistment of 6 years the Army offered me a position working on on the new M1 Abrams tank to help start
a rebuild program. I started out working on the engine and transmission but necessity demanded knowledge of all systems including fire control systems. The Navy and Army has been good for me and I was able to retire at 47 years old.

Anyway, These engines are dirt simple with only a few moving parts. There are several Chinese factories pumping these engines out be the millions. There are different OEM names used but all parts are interchangeable. Remember the communist Chinese government own all the factories so why would they compete with themselves and push up the production costs? They don't! You will see dealers say there engine kits are better than the other dealers kits but the truth is, there all the same. They make different size displacement engines just by bolting on larger or smaller cylinders, pistons, and heads to meet government requirements. Some governments limit the displacement to 50cc or less. Some allow more so engines are available with the largest cylinders, pistons, and heads that can be fitted on a standard block. Theres not very much to go wrong with the 2-cycle engines. They have electronic ignition using a magneto so there are no points to adjust or worry with and the electronic ignition module is the same one used on all 2 and 4 cycle small engines. The magneto is nothing more than a magnet attached to the crank shaft rotating across 2 coils. One coil for the ignition module and the second coil produces 6 volts AC at 500mA so a standard bicycle dynamo lighting system can be fitted and powered by the engine instead of a tire driven dynamo. You mix the oil with the gasoline so there is no engine driven oil injection system reducing cost, less parts to go bad, and no possibility of destroying the engine if the oil system fails. These little engines have been in production for many years and have only recently shown up in other countries due to high fuel costs. Keeping them out will be near impossible as fuel costs continue to rise.

I've started collecting and fabricating parts for a gasifier to install on my 1974 Ford truck. Soon I will be able to use coal, wood, cardboard, and other refuse as fuel. Gasoline will be $4.00 a gallon soon and thats where gasification becomes a valid alternative to gasoline. Here is the link.
https://www.gengas.nu/byggbes/index.shtml

Old 03-05-08, 10:31 AM
n4zou
Scott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
My grandson bought one of those motor kits at a garage sale some years ago. He used an old Schwinn middleweight bike and rebuilt the wheelset with larger spokes. This was doubly important on the rear wheel, as the engine drives the wheel through a device attached to the spokes. Major weakness is the brake system, which isn't designed for motorized use. It started & ran well, so he rode it all over for his small town in Tennesee until he received several warnings from the local police. He eventually sold it and moved on to other things. You should have some mechanical ability and have the sense to keep your speed low if you try this. edit: I read somewhere that the founder of Honda manufactured a kit to motorize bicycles after WWII!
When I started riding my motorbike the police started harassing me about it as well. I had looked up the rules about bicycles with motors before I built mine so I knew what I was doing was legal. Alabama calls them Motor Driven Cycles and have there own chapter and verse. I printed this information from the Code of Alabama found on the Alabama site and kept it in my wallet. Every time a policeman (or woman) would pull me over I would pull out my copy and quote law as if from the Bible and make them feel like idiots not knowing the law of which they were employed to uphold. This became great fun! After a couple of years and having fun at there expense they quit harassing me.

Some dealers have a heavy duty hub made for use with these kits. They have a flange made for use with a standard engine kit sprocket and use moped spokes. All you do is drill out the spoke holes on a standard rim to fit the larger spokes and nipples. I've never had any problems with spoke breakage with the standard rag mounted engine sprocket.

Last edited by n4zou; 03-05-08 at 10:37 AM.