Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

fantasy tour de france 2020 + general tdf discussion

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

fantasy tour de france 2020 + general tdf discussion

Old 09-20-20, 09:50 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
...Zorro! Say it isn't so! You might have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that meddling burrito kid, +/- the Catholic guilt and post reading cross-threading prompting you to sing like a canary. But "spirit"? Ha ha ha ha, Talk to the hand. The mighty hand of our ruthless commissaire.
Well, seeing as it sounded as though he was referring to a singular event (rather than a strategy that changed leaders like one should change undergarments), I figure he was likely looking at me.

Frankly, I was surprised Pinot didn't decide to drop out.
Old 09-20-20, 11:15 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Yes!

Bennett in Green wins the stage sprint.
Old 09-20-20, 12:16 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Congrats to Sam Bennett. If Sagan had to lose the green, I'm glad it was to him. Always been a fan.
Old 09-20-20, 01:20 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 591 Times in 452 Posts
This is an unprecedented Tour result in Tissot land. Our commissaire is exercising his responsibility to the league and, in so doing, boot-strapping himself up from the bottom step of the podium to the top. I am shocked and stunned and happy to help prop him up from the second step. What a great ringside seat for all the unseemly proceedings.

I think our man may have a two-fer with the VG result, but we wait. I will not have as good a view there but may be close enough to the red kite to be able to hear the podium music playing in the finish area.
Old 09-20-20, 02:12 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
final results are in to conclude our little, three-week donnybrooks:

in the tdf tissot league, a ton of back and forth along with some chutes and ladders the entire game.
the pinot to pogacar captain transfer around stage seven or so unfortunately rules team USAZORRO out of the running. helluva team tho-esp stage 21.
final standings are:
1. team slow (s)pokes
2. team X MERCKX THE SPOT
3. team CRAZY LEGS

in the tdf gbbg/velogames league, not quite as exciting throughout but still interesting as always.
final standings are:
1. team slow (s)pokes
2. team VELOCRANK
3. team RIDERS ON THE STORM

congrats to all the podium placers in both games!

no idea about that rogue team flyingburritobrothers in the tdf tissot game. last minute outta nowhere with multiple changes. ??

a big thank you to everyone that participated in one or both games along with the thread contributions here.
we've got both the giro and the vuelta slated to start in the next few weeks so excellent opportunities to make
up for those questionable decisions and regretful exclusions regarding the tour de france. i'll be posting separate
giro and vuelta threads like this one for the respective fantasy games. planning on using the velogames site again
but if i come across a giro or vuelta game similar to the tdf tissot one, just might throw that one into the mix as well
with a small rules tweak or none.

the giro starts october 3rd and the vuelta begins october 20th. october has long been ny fave month of the year and this is definite cake frosting. thanks again everyone!

Last edited by diphthong; 09-20-20 at 02:39 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-20-20, 03:08 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Congrats to ooga-booga for not only dominating the leagues, but also making it available to all of us at BF.

Well played, Scott.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-20-20, 03:37 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I shall look forward to October, not as an opportunity to make up for those questionable decisions, but for the chance to make more of them.

Pandemick well, people. Hasta Monreale. Ciaio.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-20-20, 06:08 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
final results are in to conclude our little, three-week donnybrooks:

in the tdf tissot league, a ton of back and forth along with some chutes and ladders the entire game.
the pinot to pogacar captain transfer around stage seven or so unfortunately rules team USAZORRO out of the running. ...
It was after stage 8. Pinot looked like me trying to ride up any incline that day, and I really thought he was through.

I'd like to make a suggestion. I think it is a fair and constructive one for anything in the future that approximates the Tissot league.

If something has happened to the designated leader/"captain" that does not cause their withdrawal, an alternative, existing team member can be chosen, but the former leader must be dropped. Another possible caveat is that the replacement must be the same type, ie. "sprinter", "climber", 'all-arounder", "team leader". I think this would simulate the experience of this aspect of the race that would simulate what a DS would do, without the contest devolve into an exercise in day-trading.

I have to say that I had fun, despite the severe punishment. I hope to return to terrorize villages, concern maidens and devour children, in the near future.
Old 09-21-20, 12:23 AM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Is it time for them to revamp the "white jersey"? Maybe instead of under 25, just make the "white jersey" into something like "best rookie of the tour".????
Old 09-21-20, 02:01 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by USAZorro
It was after stage 8. Pinot looked like me trying to ride up any incline that day, and I really thought he was through.

I'd like to make a suggestion. I think it is a fair and constructive one for anything in the future that approximates the Tissot league.

If something has happened to the designated leader/"captain" that does not cause their withdrawal, an alternative, existing team member can be chosen, but the former leader must be dropped. Another possible caveat is that the replacement must be the same type, ie. "sprinter", "climber", 'all-arounder", "team leader". I think this would simulate the experience of this aspect of the race that would simulate what a DS would do, without the contest devolve into an exercise in day-trading.

I have to say that I had fun, despite the severe punishment. I hope to return to terrorize villages, concern maidens and devour children, in the near future.

i loved your suggestion for the ability to swap out the captain in case of non-continuation for this race and threw it into the rules.

in terms of the new suggestions for this tissot league, if i'm reading your first suggestion right, this would result in only having seven riders...? within this particular game you can change riders but i dunno if the game would only
let you purposely operate with seven (or less) riders. could you delete a rider and not replace him? after the first stage, possibly. not sure how it would work hypothetically if you selected your team for the beginning of the race and on stage one,
a huge crash took four of your riders out of the race. would you be able to replace/add those four riders to get back up to eight or would you be limited to only four riders? guessing only four riders. would the game purposely let you not select a replacement rider for a rider still in the race that was on your original team to potentially upgrade? too many moving parts for this guy.

second suggestion sounds okay if the game has the "you must have at least one (or two or three) of each type" (sprinter, all-rounder, climber, etc). if the game only requires one of a particular category (let's say sprinter) and your sprinter
misses the time cut and you're the not the crazy, foolish type like slcbob or ooga-booga that likes to spend 40% of your allocated budget on two prima-donna sprinters thus enjoying a huge lead early and slowly bleeding out as the mtn stages
cut into a once massive lead...however, you put your one sprinter egg into rule #87 and also questionably knighted him captain...there is no other suitable transfer option.

personally, i am hoping to find a second game (such as the tissot one) to pair with both the giro and the vuelta. i liked most aspects of the tissot one and it seemed as busy as you wanted to make it. that mercato league would be a hoot if they
did all three gt's (maybe they do) and allow a straight-up team and crazy rules (only left-handers, all dutchies, only born in the first four months of the year, ex-sky/ineos and astana riders, at least 8 vowels in their name, 8-pointers or less,
only 4-pointers, only guys with a "j" in their first or last name, dudes only 29 years of age) team. the velogames one is easy and familiar. doubting the tissot vehicle does the giro and/or vuelta but hoping they do.

as the flavor of all three gt's are subtly different, so, perhaps, should be the fantasy response. my tdf officiating had pretty drastic restrictions (when in rome...er...paris). giro could be unlimited captain transfers within the original stage one roster.
vuelta could be transfer/changes central with unlimited family minutes...ooops...wrong forum...unlimited changes and bring your best roster everyday within the points/credits limits of the game. that's kinda how
i'm leaning now. don't want to pay cashish to play...some fantasy sites charge to play. happy to entertain any feedback/leads.

and for something completely unrelated...kinda wondering what odds pogacar had at the beginning of the tdf to win the whole enchilada...15-1? **edit...came across 12-1 odds.**

Last edited by diphthong; 09-21-20 at 04:43 AM.
Old 09-21-20, 02:45 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by gpsblake
Is it time for them to revamp the "white jersey"? Maybe instead of under 25, just make the "white jersey" into something like "best rookie of the tour".????
drop it to under 24.
Old 09-21-20, 03:03 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by USAZorro

and we know and love that about you...the devouring of children is a newer twist, altho not totally unexpected. i believe it may have been prefaced/foreshadowed (see post #44). a wild and crazy guy.
maybe a new team name (not necessarily pg-13) will rise from those lascivious, gluttonous and unruly/unkempt proclivities. one can only hope. fantasy gaming will do that to a person (things your mother
doesn't tell you). 2020 surprises spring eternal. i should probably copy this post as a standard disclaimer in the first post of all future fantasy game threads. in an election year, the best endorsement ever.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-21-20 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-21-20, 06:19 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

If we're talking about fiddling with rules, some quick thoughts:

1) Ultimately, I'm fine with any explicit set of rules that are clear, coherent, and ruthlessly enforced. By the way, the UCI does a lot of stupid things, but I'm perfectly fine with TJV getting fined for not understanding what "cuff" means wrt rainbows. Let clear regs like that slide and before you know it there will be anarchy. The broken windows / misplaced cuffs approach.

2) VG gives us a good fire and forget approach. Games that have an inherent amount of fiddling may merit embracing the fiddling. Not that any of us are looking for a science project, but if it allows for and maybe even requires a few minutes of care and feeding a day (or rest at your own risk), then maybe that's OK. If it isn't, George is there for us and we'll always have VG.

USAZorro , what is best in life?
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-21-20, 07:43 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I would like to accept the Lantene Rouge as the worst picker in 2020 TDF!!!

I want to say it was tough, that it took hard work, that I have many people to thank. But the truth is I only watch cycling when it's the TDF, I have learned my lesson and will now watch other cycling events!!

thank you
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-21-20, 11:37 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
drop it to under 24.
I liked the idea floated by someone on TV of having a "veteran rider" jersey or something. Valverde is 40!? Dang.

Anyways I look forward to participating in the fantasy Giro, for sure I'll have a Welshman on my team, and hopefully a tough Texan.
Likes For GrainBrain: