Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

The next BIG name in Pro Cycling?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

The next BIG name in Pro Cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 10:56 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
not saying that a certain percentage of the vets won't be adequately repped at the tour (froomie, valverde, thomas, sagan, etc...) but there
is a bleepload of young talent that is already and has been producing at the highest level. this could very well be a young punks tour and
a definitive changing of the guard. we'll see soon enuff.
Also, Carapaz
Old 08-17-20, 11:22 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
yah. name checked/repped in a same forum thread tonite by myself...

https://www.bikeforums.net/professio...scussions.html

Last edited by diphthong; 08-17-20 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-17-20, 11:27 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan;21646911[u
]I don't remember a time when the changing of the guard seemed so sudden. Of course, they have to stay healthy and win.....
i don't either but the waves keep coming and we've got 7-12 guys vs the usual 2-3 assimilating every year. i'm down with it. can you imagine if remco
was healthy and ready to go for the tdf? holy f. he, mvdp, wout, martinez, kuss, mas, higuita, bernal, sivakov, pogacar, carapaz, the bora boys...

makes me not care about the old guard of thomas, froomie, quintana, nibbles, porte, valverde, fuglsang, landa, pinot, aru et al. the kids are definitely the future.
they have arrived and the ship has landed. holy bleep. i think we are in for some special races cause these guys are phenomenal.

roglic will be 31 in october.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-18-20 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 11:42 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i don't either but the waves keep coming and we've got 7-12 guys vs the usual 2-3 assimilating every year. i'm down with it. can you imagine if remco
was healthy and ready to go for the tdf? holy f. he, mvdp, wout, martinez, kuss, mas, higuita, bernal, sivakov, pogacar, carapaz, the bora boys...

makes me not care about the old guard of thomas, froomie, quintana, nibbles, porte, valverde, fuglsang, landa, pinot, aru et al. the kids are definitely the future.
they have arrived and the ship has landed. holy bleep. i think we are in for some special races cause these guys are phenomenal.

roglic will be 31 in october.
It's a real shame about Remco this year, I watched him on a couple of stages at the Volta ao Algarve that he won earlier this year and met him at the start (just to say hi to at the team bus with my wife who is from his town and he seemed happy to respond to someone wishing him well from 'home') - he is a very special talent.

The superkids have arrived in numbers for sure. It doesn't look like there will be a slow transition, it could be very quick. I think Froome not racing the Tour this year is sad but his form is not there, he'll be the first to accept that. Thomas is a surprise, dunno what happened there with his form but the Giro could be good for him this year. The Vuelta could be Froomes swansong and best hope for a last big win. Next year, this crop of youngsters are going to be hard to beat.
Old 08-22-20, 06:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Evenepoel already weight-bearing (walking gingerly with crutches)

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...a-crash-464019
Old 08-23-20, 11:01 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Maybe cycling is different from tennis, there the pro tennis stalwarts were being doubted year after year and yet, no young wave replaced them so far. And some young upcoming stars are damn sharp but they just lack the even staying power which is needed to place oneself in front ranks or replace the old icons.

How many times I have seen a brilliant tennis from young and upcoming stars that bumps off even tennis great names in the grand slam first round or give them big run for staying in, yet as years go, they don't make it. Even surprise winning one grand slam tournament doesn't mean that what follows is stardom and replacement of the stalwarts, from what I have seen over the years.

Last edited by vane171; 08-23-20 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-24-20, 12:02 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Evenepoel already weight-bearing (walking gingerly with crutches)

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...a-crash-464019
Sometimes these amazing athletes do wonders. Wasn't it Wayne Rooney that got fit for a World Cup in just a few weeks after breaking his metatarsal.
Old 08-26-20, 08:35 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Sometimes these amazing athletes do wonders. Wasn't it Wayne Rooney that got fit for a World Cup in just a few weeks after breaking his metatarsal.
But results matter also. Rooney isn't a great example, imo. van Vleuten would be my "best example" for an athlete coming back after a very serious injury.
Old 08-29-20, 01:40 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Sepp Kuss for the win on stage 5, and looking strong....
https://www.velonews.com/training/po...um-du-dauphine
I was up on the mountain in 18 when Sepp won Utah.His acceleration on climbs was impressive then.I think he will prove his worth. A world class team has him in the TDF for good reason.
Old 09-21-20, 07:57 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
If he stays healthy, I believe Remco will be the most successful of the three.

Speculation, obviously. But, the sure thing is... time will tell.
I'm still leaning toward Evenepoel, although it will be interesting to see how the crash and broken pelvis will affect him. Mentally I think he'll be fine, just the physical detriment of the injury I'm concerned about.

Kuss is proving to be a more than legitimate contender to be considered as one of the three in the original post.

van der Poel has really been quiet so far. I wonder if all those that were really high on him are still feeling the same way?
Old 09-21-20, 08:09 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Pogacar turns 22 today. Could be good for a while
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-21-20, 04:28 PM
PJay120

Bikes: Lemond Etape, Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
And they just added Carapaz...awkward.
Looking back at TDF 2020: maybe putting a lot of focus on a young guy is not so bad, but you have to pick the right young guy!

Hopefully, Bernal just had a relatively bad day, or month for TDF.

Pogacar looked suspiciously good.
Likes For PJay120:
Old 09-22-20, 03:59 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Sepp Kuss. I've seen him climb in the Tour of Utah......very impressive. He never looks tired.
Old 09-23-20, 12:45 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
This TdF showed there's so much young talent the future of the grand tours is in good hands... legs.

I really expected this TdF to be disappointing but instead it got better with each stage.

Dunno if it's the end of the patron of the peloton paradigm, which was already pretty much dead anyway. But the future for the podium looks very young. I suspect teams will mostly want veterans as team captains/enforcers to ensure the young and aggressive domestiques stick with the program to support the designated leader.

Which might have made a difference with Ineos this year, if they'd at least kept Geraint Thomas as a road boss to keep the team cohesive when Bernal was struggling.

That's always going to be the risk with the rookies. They may be strong enough physically and mentally when everything is going well, but might crack when things go awry. That's where a veteran road boss can be helpful.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-23-20, 12:47 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/thomas-pidcock

Destroyed the Ciclistico Italia, former winners include Sivakov and Vlasov.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 09-23-20, 07:15 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
There is Pogacar, then there is everyone below.
Old 09-23-20, 09:54 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
He has yet to have his name is pronounced the same by all announcers. That should be a requirement of being the next big thing.
Old 10-20-20, 03:27 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by aclinjury
There is Pogacar, then there is everyone below.

I will admit that Pogacar's performance in the TdF was outstanding, and that TT was nothing short of phenomenal. But how does he stack up with the 3 the OP was about??

IMHO, race after race, Kuss has been the most impressive so far. His body of work as a whole, has been amazing.

One can only wonder what Evenepoel would've done if not for the Lombardia crash. No doubt he would've won that race and had 5 race wins this year. Would it have been 5 consecutive? I can't remember. If so, even more amazing!

Even though MVDP won the Tour of Flanders, other than that he's really hasn't been that impressive this year. But, his career is just getting started really.

So, I'd have to give "most impressive" to Kuss at this point. But long term I still believe Evenepoel will be the biggest name ...if no major repercussions from the crash.
Old 10-20-20, 09:27 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I will admit that Pogacar's performance in the TdF was outstanding, and that TT was nothing short of phenomenal. But how does he stack up with the 3 the OP was about??

IMHO, race after race, Kuss has been the most impressive so far. His body of work as a whole, has been amazing.

One can only wonder what Evenepoel would've done if not for the Lombardia crash. No doubt he would've won that race and had 5 race wins this year. Would it have been 5 consecutive? I can't remember. If so, even more amazing!

Even though MVDP won the Tour of Flanders, other than that he's really hasn't been that impressive this year. But, his career is just getting started really.

So, I'd have to give "most impressive" to Kuss at this point. But long term I still believe Evenepoel will be the biggest name ...if no major repercussions from the crash.
How many races has Kuss won this year? Are you seriously trying to say he's been better than Pogacar? Or Evenepoel or MVDP who both have multiple wins one of which was a monument? Kuss has been a pleasant surprise as a super-domestique, but if he was at Pogacar's level, he'd be tour champion. He isn't. I'm pretty sure Kuss would trade seasons with any of these guys (minus Evenepoel's crash/injury) in a heartbeat.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 10-21-20, 06:52 AM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by OBoile
How many races has Kuss won this year? Are you seriously trying to say he's been better than Pogacar? Or Evenepoel or MVDP who both have multiple wins one of which was a monument? Kuss has been a pleasant surprise as a super-domestique, but if he was at Pogacar's level, he'd be tour champion. He isn't. I'm pretty sure Kuss would trade seasons with any of these guys (minus Evenepoel's crash/injury) in a heartbeat.
When were talking most impressive, "better" is very subjective here. Kuss has won stages, but his job hasn't been to win a race. I think it's very obvious that if not for working for Roglic, he would be a / the GC contender for Jumbo Visma. He certainly has shown he has what it takes.

No doubt, he has a ton of ability. Is he at the level of Pogacar? Impossible to know at this point since their jobs have not been the same.

But again, to me, he has been the most impressive thus far.
Old 10-21-20, 08:02 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
When were talking most impressive, "better" is very subjective here. Kuss has won stages, but his job hasn't been to win a race. I think it's very obvious that if not for working for Roglic, he would be a / the GC contender for Jumbo Visma. He certainly has shown he has what it takes.

No doubt, he has a ton of ability. Is he at the level of Pogacar? Impossible to know at this point since their jobs have not been the same.

But again, to me, he has been the most impressive thus far.
I can't believe you think being a good domestique is more impressive than winning multiple races including the GC in stage races and/or monuments (not to mention the guy who actually win the Tour). As others have said above, Kuss really has no business being on your list. the others are both younger and have had significantly better careers. If you want to include a 3rd young rider, why not Wout Van Aert who's also been more impressive and is a couple of days younger than Kuss?
Old 10-21-20, 01:20 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by OBoile
I can't believe you think being a good domestique is more impressive than winning multiple races including the GC in stage races and/or monuments (not to mention the guy who actually win the Tour). As others have said above, Kuss really has no business being on your list. the others are both younger and have had significantly better careers. If you want to include a 3rd young rider, why not Wout Van Aert who's also been more impressive and is a couple of days younger than Kuss?
As mentioned in other posts, I didn’t include van Aert because he was already established when I originally started this topic.

Kuss can accomplish whatever the others you’ve mentioned have if he chooses to go that route.

Agree to disagree on which up-and-comer has been most impressive.
Old 10-21-20, 06:02 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Remco Evenepoel - he has not proven that he can climb and TT with the best. Pogacar has. Before the TdF, Pogacar has beaten Roglic in the Slovenian TT championship

Sepp Kuss - he is a super domestic, and an opportunist stage hunter. He can't TT like Pogacar nor even Evenepoel. And he's 4 years older than Pogacar.

van der Poel - he's destined to be a classics guy. Will never be GC guy.
Old 10-21-20, 06:38 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Pogacar, Van der Poel, Van Aert, Evanpoel, Hirschi, Almeida, Bernal, Mas, Kuss, McNulty (no doubt I'm missing some). Not all are GC types, but there's certainly a potentially bright future there with room for a lot of exciting days in the saddle.
Old 10-21-20, 07:42 PM
MinnMan

Alas, van der Poel just ended his season with a bad crash....

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...e-panne-473339

No word on injuries yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.