Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Someone Explain To Me The Sudden Prevalence Of Someone Explain To Me Threads

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Someone Explain To Me The Sudden Prevalence Of Someone Explain To Me Threads

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 09:21 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Why do we care so much what others do?
You have to look at the form of the question, as well as the response to the answers.

So, for example, for the "why do some people insist on using handle bar bags that are at variance with my expectations?" thread, when provided with actual explanations, such as

(a) the scoffed-at mode provides additional mounting stability under rough off-road conditions
(b) the scoffed-at-mode mounts in a way that is less likely to damage carbon bars

the response is silent incomprehension.

That, put simply, is because the OP is trolling, and has no interest in an actual explanation. It is simply derision-signaling, which is some form of virtue-signaling, employed by one feeling the need to express conformity to what they (wrongly) perceive to be the dominant opinion.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-22-20, 09:02 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
When did other cyclists start this "waving" thing? At first I thought they were waving at me because of my dashing good looks. Then I realized those that wave were doing it at everyone. Strange.
Definitely not everyone. I personally watched about a half a dozen videos from GCN and similar sources before I knew to whom I should and should not wave.
Old 09-22-20, 09:06 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
He used to cut my grass. He was a very nice boy.
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 09-22-20, 11:40 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
When did other cyclists start this "waving" thing? At first I thought they were waving at me because of my dashing good looks. Then I realized those that wave were doing it at everyone. Strange.
Everyone? Then how come they don't wave at me? Am I not their type?
Old 09-23-20, 05:14 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
ikr? I try to bite my tongue, but whenever I see a "serious" road cyclist riding with locked arms extended, I want to yell "point those elbows!"

Sigh.
I tried riding with partially flexed elbows and developed cubital tunnel syndrome in my right arm. It’s an entrapment of the ulnar nerve, just distal to the elbow commonly caused my keeping your elbows flexed too long. Had I continued to ride like that, I’d be disabled to work at my job. I know flexed elbows is the standard “correct” position, but it’s not for me.
Old 09-23-20, 05:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I tried riding with partially flexed elbows and developed cubital tunnel syndrome in my right arm. It’s an entrapment of the ulnar nerve, just distal to the elbow commonly caused my keeping your elbows flexed too long. Had I continued to ride like that, I’d be disabled to work at my job. I know flexed elbows is the standard “correct” position, but it’s not for me.
Agree it’s not for everyone, and that is one reason why I bite my tongue, some cyclists have good reasons for their setup/style.
Old 09-23-20, 07:51 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Definitely not everyone. I personally watched about a half a dozen videos from GCN and similar sources before I knew to whom I should and should not wave.
Someone should start a "Someone explain this waving thing to me" thread. We haven't had a waving thread in a while.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-23-20, 08:49 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

That, put simply, is because the OP is trolling, and has no interest in an actual explanation. It is simply derision-signaling, which is some form of virtue-signaling, employed by one feeling the need to express conformity to what they (wrongly) perceive to be the dominant opinion.
Nailed it.
Old 09-23-20, 08:50 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Someone should start a "Someone explain this waving thing to me" thread. We haven't had a waving thread in a while.
A "someone explain this yelling thing to me" thread could be fun, too.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-23-20, 10:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
As a misanthropic introvert with low social needs, I don't wave at anyone. They're lucky to get an easily-missed slight nod from me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles