Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Lessons Learned from Iceland

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Lessons Learned from Iceland

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 11:13 AM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about your trip! I would like to go back to Iceland--although I have not cycled it. The weather is tough even to this Colorado girl, in Icelandic summer, and camping in a pickup truck with a topper, I still thought it was pretty dang cold. I love the pictures!

And this comment made me laugh and laugh, because it's true (in the nicest way!):
Originally Posted by djb
PS on a side note, you would make a good extra in a period piece movie, " Why yes Miss Cooper, a yard of this here gingham will cost you 2 cents, on sale this month from 3. It's all the rage back east I'm told."
You'd of course be the general store owner, I somehow doubt you'd get the Miss Cooper part.
Old 07-12-17, 11:59 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by kellichou
Thanks for letting us know about your trip! I would like to go back to Iceland--although I have not cycled it. The weather is tough even to this Colorado girl, in Icelandic summer, and camping in a pickup truck with a topper, I still thought it was pretty dang cold. I love the pictures!

And this comment made me laugh and laugh, because it's true (in the nicest way!):
glad it made you chuckle, and Jeff, I hope it wasnt taken in the wrong way. The whole beard look just made the imaginary casting director in me think of that.

re cold, I'm always impressed by folks who bike tour in cold places, like I said, I commute in rain or cold, but its a 45min experience tops, and even with my Central America trip this winter, I really do find that I'll take hot over cold for an actual bike trip. I'm certain that being skinny is part of a factor.

but again, hat off to you.
Old 07-12-17, 01:25 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
glad it made you chuckle, and Jeff, I hope it wasnt taken in the wrong way. The whole beard look just made the imaginary casting director in me think of that.

re cold, I'm always impressed by folks who bike tour in cold places, like I said, I commute in rain or cold, but its a 45min experience tops, and even with my Central America trip this winter, I really do find that I'll take hot over cold for an actual bike trip. I'm certain that being skinny is part of a factor.

but again, hat off to you.
Nah, no offense whatsoever! I randomly stayed at a hostel with a bunch of Game of Thrones extras in Belfast, back in 2014, where some of them were encouraging me to join. Then I realized it was a six to ten week unpaid, unhoused, mostly unfed commitment, and had little interest. Maybe I'll actually give it a shot next time Transformers comes to Detroit

As to the hot v cold, it is all very personal. I loved the weather, to me mid-50F is perfect for cycling. I was fine in the long sleeve jersey and shorts for everything but the long descents, where I tossed on a raincoat. Climbing, even in those temps, my jersey was generally wide open and flapping in the wind. I can't imagine cycling somewhere it is tropical, to me that sounds absolutely miserable, when the temp hits 90F around here is generally when I quit.
Old 07-12-17, 03:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
re cold, I'm always impressed by folks who bike tour in cold places, like I said, I commute in rain or cold, but its a 45min experience tops, and even with my Central America trip this winter, I really do find that I'll take hot over cold for an actual bike trip....
I think between about 45 and 75 degrees F is perfect for cycling. On the low end of that range I can wear pants instead of shorts, a polartec vest and light jacket under a windbreaker, long finger gloves and a rain cover on my helmet to cut the wind. This past February my two weeks of cycling in FL Everglades and FL Keys was absurdly hot, uncomfortable and far too many bugs.

But cycle touring when you have to worry about ice patches on the road, yeah that is a little too cold.
Old 07-12-17, 05:35 PM
djb

then both of you would not have loved this....although to be fair, this is tough in its own way (not sure why photo was downsized so small, bike computer was saying that it was 42.7c (109f), but I suspect it was probably really 37, 38, 39c (about 100f)
Attached Images

Last edited by djb; 07-12-17 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-12-17, 06:42 PM
jefnvk

Nope, I'd be far away! And such devices should only be used for general estimates of temperature, small devices are easily susceptible to sun beating on them and warming up, giving less than accurate readings. I've got the same one, it was pretty good for the trip, but I had diffused sunlight the majority of the time.

Had mine been in C, it'd have been under 4 a couple nights
Old 07-12-17, 07:38 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

When I was riding the Pacific Coast, I thought the weather was perfect in every way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP1269.jpg (89.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 07-12-17, 08:23 PM
djb

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Nope, I'd be far away! And such devices should only be used for general estimates of temperature, small devices are easily susceptible to sun beating on them and warming up, giving less than accurate readings. I've got the same one, it was pretty good for the trip, but I had diffused sunlight the majority of the time.

Had mine been in C, it'd have been under 4 a couple nights
yup, I always took what it said in direct sunshine with a big grain of salt, especially given that the handlebars and bag mount are black. I have ridden in a heatwave of up to 100c in New England a few years back, and have been in southern France with a heatwave of a bit over 40c, and so I reckon it was really more like 37-38 tops, but thats enough to really make sure you hydrate up the ying-yang. (but folks who ride in deserts and stuff ride in hotter weather, must be darn tough).
Old 07-13-17, 01:06 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
At least no major disasters, hard to find good touring partners, seems like most of the 'pros' go alone or with family. A bit surprised you didn't like the camping since you've backpacked. Maybe if partners had been more compatible the camping wouldn't have felt like a hassle.

& how many airports have a Bike Pit?!
Old 07-13-17, 07:15 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
& how many airports have a Bike Pit?!
TO be fair, I haven't really backpacked since my high school/college years, but even then it was hike in and stay in one place a couple days fishing before moving on, and the trips were two and a half weeks. Didn't mind camping when everything was in place, but when I've got ten days total, spending a couple hours of every day making and breaking camp just got tedious, that I'd prefer to not waste time on if I had other low cost accommodation methods.

And yeah, thumbs up to Keflavik Airport for the bike pit (the stands at least, the tools and pumps were in predictable missing/nonfunctional shape as with any of those repair areas), although I assume it more came about due to a very small outside security terminal area, and them not wanting cyclists taking up limited space there building bikes than any real love of cyclists.
Old 07-13-17, 07:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

... thumbs up to Keflavik Airport for the bike pit (the stands at least, the tools and pumps were in predictable missing/nonfunctional shape as with any of those repair areas), although I assume it more came about due to a very small outside security terminal area, and them not wanting cyclists taking up limited space there building bikes than any real love of cyclists.
I did not see that when I was there, but I planned to assemble and later disassemble my bike at the hostel anyway. Still, that looked pretty nice. I have had to box or unbox bikes at several different Amtrak stations, they had nothing like that at all.
Old 07-13-17, 08:00 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I did not see that when I was there, but I planned to assemble and later disassemble my bike at the hostel anyway. Still, that looked pretty nice. I have had to box or unbox bikes at several different Amtrak stations, they had nothing like that at all.
Yeah, we didn't have one at Brussels or Amsterdam last time either. Brussels the airport staff just told me to find a quiet corner to assemble, and Amsterdam the airport hotel actually gave us an unused conference room to box up and store our bikes overnight.

Only annoying thing is it was outside across the parking lot, on the outbound leg I didn't bother using it because I was plastic bagging my bike. I didn't have a great way to get it back to the terminal, it wouldn't sit nicely on a cart like that, so I just packed it up under the canopy outside.
Old 07-13-17, 08:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

... it was outside across the parking lot, on the outbound leg I didn't bother using it because I was plastic bagging my bike. I didn't have a great way to get it back to the terminal, it wouldn't sit nicely on a cart like that, so I just packed it up under the canopy outside.
Ok, that is why I did not see it. I was carrying my stuff to the shuttle bus to the hostel, never wandered around much outside.
Old 07-13-17, 08:31 AM
jefnvk

Ok, that is why I did not see it. I was carrying my stuff to the shuttle bus to the hostel, never wandered around much outside.
If you leave straight out of where the arrivals area dumps you to the unsecured terminal, past the bus desks, there is a covered walkway that leads right to it.

You seemed to do the more popular choice of cyclists, though, another five or six bikes came out the same time as ours, and no one else was in the bike pit with us. I guess they all headed right to their accommodations. Can't blame them, the ride along 41 into town wasn't really all that interesting, or even that good of riding.

Last edited by jefnvk; 07-13-17 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-13-17, 04:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

You seemed to do the more popular choice of cyclists, though, another five or six bikes came out the same time as ours, and no one else was in the bike pit with us. I guess they all headed right to their accommodations. Can't blame them, the ride along 41 into town wasn't really all that interesting, or even that good of riding.
I am retired, have more time than you have. Counting days flying, I had a month long trip. So, where you had to make the most of your trip so you could get back for a job, I could spend a little time to get used to the time zone change, etc.

And my S&S bike means that my racks, water bottle cages, crank arms, etc., were off the bike. Thus it takes more time to assemble and later to disassemble. I would rather do that at my leisure at the hostel where I could take a break for another cup of coffee instead of being rushed at the airport. I also did not have to try to figure out how to carry the S&S case on the bike, as I stored it at the hostel.

The hostel I stayed at was next to the big Reykjavik campground, I suspect most bikers took the same shuttle I did and unboxed their bikes at the campground.

But if you go there for a week, I can see where the option you took makes a lot of sense to save time.
Old 07-13-17, 09:24 PM
jefnvk

The hostel I stayed at was next to the big Reykjavik campground, I suspect most bikers took the same shuttle I did and unboxed their bikes at the campground.

But if you go there for a week, I can see where the option you took makes a lot of sense to save time.
Yeah, we tried to stay there because they stored boxes, but they were full on our inbound weekend. Our hostel ended up storing my buddies bike bags anyhow.

Actually our rationale was far more pragmatic. We landed at 410am, had out bags and was out of customs by 5am, and couldn't check in until 2pm. We could have taken a bus, gotten to our hostel by 6am, and built bikes and then slept on couches, but we figured it was better to just put the bikes together and ride in, and then if we had issues know we had to find a bike shop in the morning. Plus, it is the first time I saved $50 by riding 35 miles, instead of the normal dishing it out for a group ride