Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Kona Jake or Giant Invite 1 for small woman, new to road/cyclocross bikes

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 10:57 PM
oliverh72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I posted earlier in the hybrid thread, but since then, my wife took out a few hybrids and was not enthralled. However the shop also has a Kona Jake and she quite liked it. She's pretty much new to biking except for very casual riding, more than 2 years ago. She's quite fit from yoga (but less so for cardio) and is about 5'4" with a 32" inseam and she's about 104lbs.

Goals: ride together reasonably often for exercise and fun, mostly on-road with the occasional packed dirt trails. A good fit and comfort is important.

I ride a Giant OCR 1 (2005) road bike and a Giant Roam 2 hybrid (less often). Clearly I like Giant bikes.

The advantages of the Giant are: women's specific frame (lower standover height), women's specific seat (not sure if this matters), secondary brake levers (this would be nice).
The advantages of the Kona are: it's local and available in her size (49 - the Giant I'd have to pick up in Vancouver without her trying it first), all series components (Tiagra), the shop offers free regular maintenance, limited to lubes/adjustments, $50 less (for pedals, probably). Vibrant orange is very visible to cars. (this might be a stretch as a "pro")

Unknowns: Giant HS rotors? no idea if these are equivalent size or what. Joytech hubs on the Kona (does it matter?) So many non-series components on the Giant. We live in a VERY hilly city so I'm not sure if there's enough gears on either (20) for her to feel comfortable going up and down hills. I am uncertain as to how confident she'll be on a cyclocross bike if we take it on dirt trails, after not having ridden for a while.

I've done up a handy comparison table here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

And here's the links.
Kona: KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | CYCLOCROSS | JAKE
Giant: Invite 1 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | Canada

Thanks in advance!

Oliver
Old 07-18-14, 12:27 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Fit is definitely the most important factor with any bike. Can't you take her to Vancouver to try out the Giant?

I love Kona Jakes, but that Giant has a lot going for it. The brakes are better on the Giant. Most of the non-series parts look Tiagra level. The numbering on the rear derailleur suggests it's a step down, which would be weird, but that's a cheap and easy upgrade if you ever felt the need.

My 2013 Jake came with those same wheels. They're decent but not exciting. They've got a higher spoke count than the wheels on the Giant, so if properly tensioned they'll be stronger. You could ask the shop if they would swap in triple shifters and crankset. A lot of shops will do that at cost when you buy the bike.

I'd lean toward the Kona just for the local service, but they both look like good bikes.

Last edited by Andy_K; 07-18-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 09:37 AM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 16 Posts
+1 for the local service assuming the Kona fits your wife and she likes it.