Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring in the Tristate area

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-10, 07:48 PM
Lamabb
Doesn't ride enough

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Caad9 5 / 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker/ 2013 Orbea Orca Bli2 / 2011 Specialized Rock Hopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, I have the opportunity to ride a 5 day mini-tour, but I have no idea where to ride to. I live in Mahopac, New york, which is in the southern end of the Hudson River Valley. I am considering Albany as a destination, but it's not all about the destination and I'm pretty sure that the route to my destination will be the jewel of the trip.

I plan to stealth camp, putting up the tent as the sun falls and leaving camp before the sun rises.

The way I'm thinking now is,

south = nyc & NJ which are too urban
North = Upstate Ny, MA, VA, basically rural and beautiful states.
East = I don't know of too many interesting places over in CT for touring.
West = Possible, but again, no knowledge of destinations.

Can anyone suggest a good touring route or destination within 200 miles of the Hudson valley (Mahopac more specifically).
Old 10-04-10, 08:32 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a destination what about Cape Cod or Martha's Vinyard. I'm not sure how much of US-6 is bikeable, you may want to ask in the Northeast forum.
Old 10-05-10, 07:05 AM
ezdoesit

Bikes: Fuji Touring 2008

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Try this out and see if it helps.
https://www.nj.gov/transportation/com...ntcapemay6.pdf

or this: https://www.nj.gov/transportation/com...ike/tours.shtm
Old 10-05-10, 05:21 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Do you like hills? The tristate corner area (VT,NY,MA) is a very pretty but hilly area. I'm not real familiar with the NY side of the border but do know the Berkshires (MA side) very well. The southern corner with CT/NY also involves some climbing entering and leaving MA. If you follow the Housatonic River valley you can avoid most of the climbing on a north south trajectory. There are lots of interesting places to visit in the Berkshires. If you really do like to climb, let me recommend Mt. Greylock. Newly paved road to the summit. Highest point in MA. A fun climb on a road bike. Never tried it with a loaded touring bike. It might suck. I think you'll find plenty of options for stealth camping all along the MA border area. It's still quite rural with lots of woods roads and wayside turnoffs. State forests abound. A good bit of historical sites scattered about. Herman Melville's home in Pittsfield. W.E.B. DuBois's birthplace between Egremont and Great Barrington, Tanglewood. Chesterwood (home of Lincoln Mem. sculptor Daniel Chester French) in Stockbridge. Foliage ought to be peaking soon. Been a dry summer so don't expect the most vibrant colors however.

I think it's a great area for bike touring. You'll enjoy yourself if you head up this way. Let me know by p.m. if you need more info.

Try this link: https://www.bikenewengland.com/berkshire.html

Last edited by hilltowner; 10-05-10 at 10:01 PM.