Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-12, 09:14 PM
loose spoke

Bikes: 11 steel, 1 scandium, 1 carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Southpaw... Class ride!
-Tom
Old 01-30-12, 07:56 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
B.D. I know what my "dream" build is now!

Thanks! It's still evolving. Super comfy ride though, and laid back handling.,,,,BD

That Bridgestone rocks too, whew!
Old 01-30-12, 08:09 AM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That Bridgestone looks like the load monster ! 26 inch wheels, nice !
Old 01-30-12, 08:55 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
I've posted this here before, but here are some fresh pics of my true touring bike, a 1988 Schwinn Voyageur frame acquired in a trade with AZORCH, and built up with a 1983-1986ish mix of mostly Shimano touring/mtn components:
A most excellent looking steed southpawboston.

I am a fellow fan of these vintage Voyageur's although my 84 is not a head turner as yours is I am enjoying riding it immensely. (Also a fan of the vintage Expeditions, Miyata 1000's etc.
Old 01-30-12, 10:03 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
That really turned out well BD, glad to see the finished product!

FWIW, the black chrome High Sierras were supplied with at least one roller cam or U-brake, which are a little tricky to set up with fenders & fat tires. Schwinn also ditched that lovely biplane-like fork crown and moved to the unicrown fork around the same time. I love my High Sierra, but I'd probably "downgrade" to a regular Sierra if the opportunity presented itself.

Originally Posted by Bikedued
A few update pics of the Sierra mtb turned touring bike. I got some Specialized Hemisphere EX Armadillo's for FREE, changed out the technomic stem when I got rid of the Burley tandem, and added Sakae modolo bend bars. I also added fenders which look great, but fit VERY badly IMHO. I would have saved the money and went for Honjos had a I known. The front fits okay, but I think SKS was expecting a higher brake bridge during the design phase, possibly? I paid the price for these pics too, sigh. Right after I snapped the last one a 20mph gust blew it over before I could get a hold on it. The rack, the Brooks, AND the bar end shifter/mount all took the full force of the fall. No luck this time, sheesh! At least the special ordered Cinelli wrap didn't get cut?,,,,BD

Old 01-30-12, 10:24 AM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by loose spoke
Ted, I've admired your bike for several seasons. Very nicely built!
Mine's a little rougher. It had 27" rims on it when I bought (used and only partially original) it, and I had a hell of a time getting the brakes to work with the 700c rims. First, I assumed the rims were just too wide, but narrow 13mm rims were better, but still trouble. Three different brake sets refused to adjust low enough to clear the tire! The padds always anted to hit the tire-rim intersection. I finally got it to work with really thin pads where the arm geometry finally allowed it to work swing in far enough to hit lower.
You have brakes that look like they would work better... Shorter distance from the pivot to pad mount.
-Tom
Thanks for the kind words. Regrettably, I sold the Expedition in 2010 in a weak moment, in an effort to keep the herd lean. That's pretty much what I've done over the years--build them up, use them for a few years, and sell them. I have to say though, that I've really enjoyed the Bridgestone a lot. I can't see myself parting with it anytime soon.

Many safe journeys,
Old 01-30-12, 02:45 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by yarper3
A most excellent looking steed southpawboston.

I am a fellow fan of these vintage Voyageur's although my 84 is not a head turner as yours is I am enjoying riding it immensely. (Also a fan of the vintage Expeditions, Miyata 1000's etc.
With Southpaw, that is a given. I'll still echo anyway, it is definitely gorgeous. Even more importantly it's well thought out and hyper-functional, which is what makes his bikes superb.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 01-30-12, 03:02 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
I've posted this here before, but here are some fresh pics of my true touring bike, a 1988 Schwinn Voyageur frame. . .
Me too. Here's my '88 now with 8sp indexing bar ends mounted to Retroshifts. Sweet ride, Anton. Yours still has the yellow "riding this bike in the rain is dangerous" sticker. Cool.

Old 01-30-12, 05:01 PM
loose spoke

Bikes: 11 steel, 1 scandium, 1 carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Me too. Here's my '88 now with 8sp indexing bar ends mounted to Retroshifts. Sweet ride, Anton. Yours still has the yellow "riding this bike in the rain is dangerous" sticker. Cool.

What is that interesting looking establishment? It looks familiar.
Old 01-30-12, 06:50 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Here's are pics of my 80's Motobecane Grand touring along a rail trail in northern Michigan.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
035.jpg (99.9 KB, 534 views)
024.jpg (101.4 KB, 553 views)
Old 03-02-12, 12:25 PM
venom

Bikes: 2009 Cervelo RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sianelle
That's a great photo and I love the bikes Looks to me like they geared their bicycles pretty low for the trip which makes sense really.
I realize this reply is for something several years ago, but I am just reading this thread now and did a little digging since it sounded interesting to me too. One of the men actually did this to write a book about it and it is available on Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Round-World-Wh.../dp/0701126094

And here is a period article about the trip from the NY Times.

https://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...D0405B8885F0D3
Old 03-02-12, 12:29 PM
venom

Bikes: 2009 Cervelo RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably should have quoted the original post which contained more relavent information.

However these three Englishmen cycled around the world on their quite modern looking touring bikes from 1897 to 1899. Notice the rear luggage racks, sensibly wide tires, plenty of custom bags, and the nice relaxed geometry of the bikes. Our concept of properly paved roads did not exist, at best one would find cobblestones and at worst they would struggle to drag their bikes through roads which had become mud to above the ankles. The bikes often crossed over rough fields and they encountered the same punctures to their pneumatic tires we all still dread. Nevertheless, the bikes held up just fine. And the riders returned to London healthy - although a bit disappointed there were no crowds waiting to greet them.

Originally Posted by venom
I realize this reply is for something several years ago, but I am just reading this thread now and did a little digging since it sounded interesting to me too. One of the men actually did this to write a book about it and it is available on Amazon.com.

Old 03-02-12, 01:38 PM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by venom

Venom thanks for posting. Great to hear that this book appears to now be more widely distributed than I would have imagined. Here are a few scans from my VERY old edition - probably from the early 1900s. My edition of the book was published in hard cover format but in a small modern paperback size and was originally intended for sale at a popular price:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/strongl...7601995329779/
Old 03-07-12, 07:00 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Just had this one off the storage rack, so thought I'd share some pics.
Attached Images
DSC06335.jpg (46.2 KB, 307 views)
DSC06328.jpg (51.2 KB, 297 views)
DSC06325.jpg (55.2 KB, 379 views)
DSC06326.jpg (46.1 KB, 290 views)
DSC06334.jpg (53.8 KB, 283 views)
DSC06331.jpg (43.0 KB, 289 views)
DSC06327.jpg (52.9 KB, 291 views)
DSC06330.jpg (44.7 KB, 284 views)
DSC06332.jpg (37.1 KB, 286 views)
DSC06329.jpg (25.2 KB, 276 views)
DSC06333.jpg (56.1 KB, 281 views)
Old 03-07-12, 07:59 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I can't believe I've never posted these here...

Old 03-07-12, 07:59 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

This one is more a show bike - I got it quite inexpensively, but it's a little too nice to bang around as a commuter, but not as effective as my Koga for real touring.

Old 03-12-12, 04:15 PM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
This one is more a show bike - I got it quite inexpensively, but it's a little too nice to bang around as a commuter, but not as effective as my Koga for real touring.

Touring bike? I am so old that a Campy equipped bike like this looks very familiar. It looks like what I raced back in the 70's with a wide range cluster added and a Campy Ralley added to shift it. That Campy hardware was very high class back in the day.
Old 03-12-12, 04:35 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

By today's standards...correct, but for 1979, it's a tourer.
Old 03-12-12, 05:48 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Bridgestone I built up from parts I had laying around for my 13yo cousin who's planning to do his first long distance trip with school this spring-

t500 with sora brifters and a custom built 126mm 8 speed 27" wheel. He didn't like the bluemels lightweight fenders on there, but I have a feeling he'll come around. Have a matching pair of yellow cannondale handlebar and seat bags and a kickin' orange pair of old nashbar panniers.

Also, I stopped being lazy and we put on a period stem and bars that fit him better than those 42cm ergo bars and that long stem.
Old 03-12-12, 06:00 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
1983 Lotus Eclair ...

I just put on an ADGA 28 leather saddle (about 40 years old and there's no cracking!), Brittania fenders (probably 50+ years old... like Bluemels ... I guess), and brake lever covers on.

Yesterday...

Before the winter ...

"If you like to ride in cargo shorts & polo shirts & sandles vs. the neon lycra spandex stuff, get a touring bike!"
Old 03-12-12, 06:34 PM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By today's standards...correct, but for 1979, it's a tourer.
I think you may have that reversed. Today it may be a fast touring bike for credit card touring. 40 yrs. ago it was a racing bike. I never saw a touring bike with Campy side pull brakes back in the day. They mostly had Mavic Cantis.
Old 03-12-12, 07:38 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

No...I don't have it reversed, you're just wrong. If you measured the wheel base, the stays, saw the angles and some of the parts choices, you'd understand. It currently has 32c tires and has lots of room for more. It is most definitely NOT a racing bike, and touring bikes then were not what they became (cantis, double eyelets). Typically only top end racing bikes came with campy brakes because they were so obscenely expensive. These are no weaker than the center pulls common at the time, the purchaser was just loaded and went top end/price across the board. It was built and sold as a touring bike...unless you know more about it than the owner and the guy who made it

If you want to call it a sports tourer, be my guest...it's not what we'd call a full tourer now, but that category of bike was not developed at that point the way it became after the superior Japanese loaded tourers. This bike actually had the front rack as well, but the PO misplaced it.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 03-12-12 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 07:47 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
No...I don't have it reversed, you're just wrong. If you measured the wheel base, the stays, saw the angles and some of the parts choices, you'd understand. It is most definitely NOT a racing bike, and touring bikes then were not what they became (cantis, double eyelets). It was built and sold as a touring bike...unless you know more about it than the owner and the guy who made it if you want to call it a sports tourer, be my guest...it's not what we'd call a full tourer now, but that category of bike was not developed at that point the way it became after the superior Japanese loaded tourers.
Touring bike it is, and a very pretty one at that!
Old 03-14-12, 11:47 AM
aurimasmin

Bikes: Bianchi Corsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It`s my Bianchi Corsa V28` 10 Vel Lusso Positron. I don`t know the correct years of made it, but I found it could be about 80`s. I use it for every day commuting in city.
Attached Images
DSC01767.jpg (99.8 KB, 510 views)
DSC01770.jpg (100.0 KB, 525 views)
Old 03-16-12, 06:49 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Positron was that stuff from Shimano with the freewheeling crankset so you could shift while coasting the bike (not pedaling). Interesting stuff here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.