Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Water bladder

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Water bladder

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 10:54 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Water bladder

I'm getting ready for a tour of Big Bend Park in S. Texas. Water is a definite concern.

I have 4 btl cages on the bent, but feel I need 2-4 liters more. Will be no room left in panniers for extra bottles.

I'm looking for a bladder that will fit/hang behind the webbed seat of my bent, in a space 2" deep and about 14" wide. And I don't want to pay more than about $10-15 for it, as it'll be a one time use.

Anybody got any ideas/experience for/with an inexpensive, reliable bladder? A DIY?
Old 04-05-12, 11:15 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Go to the camping section of Walmart. They have Outdoor Products replacement bladders for $8 (I think the insulated bladders go for $15). I have a couple. I ginked the first one, causing the bite-valve to drip a little bit, but they have replacement valves for $2 or $3 (two in a pack).
Old 04-05-12, 05:45 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
We have had good luck with a Platypus bladder. They are a little spendy, but very tough. They also take very little room when empty.
https://www.mountaingear.com/webstore.../R-113645P.htm
Old 04-05-12, 06:08 PM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Also consider the MSR Dromedary bags. I have the 4 liter but wish I bought the 10 liter. Very durable with plenty of accessories.
https://www.rei.com/product/733948/ms...y-bag-10-liter
Old 04-05-12, 06:25 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No experience with a bladder here, however you may wish to consider a larger water bottle cage. The Salsa Anything cage for example. https://salsacycles.com/components/anything_cage/ scroll to towards the bottom of the page.
Old 04-05-12, 07:02 PM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a Camelback Unbottle in the very same position on my Rans Vrex recumbent. I have both the 2 & 3 liters. It fits perfectly in there and the tough outer cover protects the bladder
Old 04-06-12, 04:54 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
We have had good luck with a Platypus bladder. They are a little spendy, but very tough. They also take very little room when empty.
https://www.mountaingear.com/webstore.../R-113645P.htm
I like that one too. The capacity is about right for me and it stands up nicely. Two liters is plenty for me for in camp.

I am kind of surprised at the comments about so many bottles on the bike and such large water bladders. I have always found two bottle cages sufficient, because I am ready for a quick stop before both are empty any way. At that point I can refill them from whatever extra I am carrying. As far as carrying capacity, it makes more sense to me to add and reduce capacity by saving or discarding sport drink bottles than to carry a bunch of empty capacity all of the time. Water bottles in the cages get hotter than water bottles in the pannier.
Old 04-06-12, 05:20 AM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I managed to pick up a couple 2L water bags for 7.50 each at MEC. Very small and lightweight.
Old 04-06-12, 08:27 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
As far as carrying capacity, it makes more sense to me to add and reduce capacity by saving or discarding sport drink bottles than to carry a bunch of empty capacity all of the time.
+1. I carry two water bottles and 48 ounce bladder that I fill late in the day prior to camping in areas without water. When I toured through Big Bend, and camped in the desert, I supplemented my supply with sport drink bottles as above.

If you're looking for a larger bladder I'd recommend this. I prefer the large mouth for easier filling, cleaning, adding ice, and to use with filters. My 48 ounce has lasted for many years.
Old 04-06-12, 10:07 AM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. Wouldn't mind investing in a high end bag(the MSRs?), but figure this to be a one time need, maybe. Not much of a boonies tourist. Being led astray by a buddy who is.

As it turned out, another buddy has three 2 liter Platypus bags he'll loan. Found out after posting the question.
Old 04-06-12, 03:53 PM
macphisto23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used (4) 10 liter MSR dromedary bags for a kayak tour recently and I would highly recommend them. I was throwing them around for two months and never got a leak. Maybe get (2) 4 liter bags to even it out and you are set for years.
Old 04-06-12, 04:38 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed that some 'bent manufacturers offer custom hydration systems that fit nicely on their frames. Have you checked with yours?