Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Shaving on Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Shaving on Tour

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-12, 04:55 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
A Brazilian is the only answer for the serious tourist.
Originally Posted by Rowan
Somehow, I don't think you are speaking from personal experience on this.
I took it as tongue firmly planted in cheek...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-24-12, 09:38 AM
nbh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to think I needed an electric razor to shave properly, since I couldn't quite get the hairs under my nose with my Mach 3. Then my local Costco stopped selling Mach 3 blades, and so I was forced to get a Fusion. At first I was annoyed--"Is it really necessary to have FIVE blades?" I thought--but it didn't take me long to fall in love with the thing. The blade on the back can trim sideburns and touch up hard-to-reach places, and the battery-powered vibration makes me feel like I'm using an electric razor. And if you're worried about weight, my Fusion is only 47 grams, including the plastic holder and the battery.

Now that I've solved the razor problem, I'm wondering what to do about shaving cream. I don't want to take a huge canister of shaving gel, but I'm not sure what else I can use. The range of shaving products available here in non-hirsute Taiwan leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 05-24-12, 09:55 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by nbh
Now that I've solved the razor problem, I'm wondering what to do about shaving cream. I don't want to take a huge canister of shaving gel, but I'm not sure what else I can use. The range of shaving products available here in non-hirsute Taiwan leaves a lot to be desired.
Plain water? If not that any soap or shampoo works fine.
Old 05-24-12, 10:39 AM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
I use a straight razor, cheap and works quite well on the road. It's great because it doesn't really care whether you have a beard or not, whatever is in the way is just gone. I take one merkur blade and that will do for months.
That's a safety razor, not a straight razor. A straight razor is the kind you flip open and strop on a belt. They are not usually super cheap.
Old 05-24-12, 01:07 PM
dantolen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always take the stem off a normal disposable razor and just use the razor part. Store it in a napkin inside a zip-lock bag. Have a soft soap bar with you and use the soap on your face where you shave. Then just go into any public restroom and shave. That's how I do every time I'm living on my bike for longer than a week. And this way, you barely add any space or weight to your bags.
Old 05-24-12, 01:33 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sprintfree
What are your thoughts of shaving while on tour? I'm looking forward to the weight savings of not having to bring my electric razor and constantly having to look for an outlet to charge it. I'm riding with two others and we plan to camp whenever we can. Hopefully I don't look to much like a bum.
I don't shave on a tour. If things really get wild I'll find a barber who does haircuts and shaves.

As far as looking like a bum goes I don't think shaving or not shaving is a big factor in that. How you dress and how clean you are will be more important factors.
Old 05-26-12, 07:33 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never heard the words shaving and on tour at the same time. They don't mix.
Old 05-26-12, 07:40 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Leave the razor, pre-shave, after-shave, hairdryer, etc and stuff like that a thome.
Old 05-26-12, 08:24 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I think that a young guy can get away with a travelers beard if they have an outgoing and friendly demeanor.

I try to stay more groomed on the road than I do at home.(I live alone in the woods, and as an artist am allowed to look rough) On the road I try to hack it off every time I can. A few days growth looks ok on me, but I really look mean and crazy with a beard, so can notice people being more open with me shaved. A cop gave me directions in a very small town one afternoon, and when I ran into him that evening with a fresh shave he commented that I looked less worrysome.

Any sort of soap will work, and any sink, but I really try to clean up the area I used as a representitave of bike touring...

Last edited by shipwreck; 05-26-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-26-12, 08:45 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I like shaving every day and have used all the blades by Gillette, Track II, Atra, Sensor, Mach3 and Fusion. I even used the disposables by Gillette and like those too! Shaving does not have to be expensive. A 12 pack of Good News disposables should last you a YEAR and it's only $10 bucks! The GoodNews is the disposable version of the Track II which is a great blade.

Here's how I make them last a whole year. I'll use one disposable a whole month and no it will not do a great job. However, it will still be about 95% effective and any rough spots can be taken care of by a fresh blade. By only using the fresh blade on the rough spots, you preserve it for more than a month. Doing this is much more effective with the Mach 3.
Old 05-27-12, 12:46 AM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dantolen
You could always take the stem off a normal disposable razor and just use the razor part. Store it in a napkin inside a zip-lock bag. Have a soft soap bar with you and use the soap on your face where you shave. Then just go into any public restroom and shave. That's how I do every time I'm living on my bike for longer than a week. And this way, you barely add any space or weight to your bags.
Do you mean, remove the handle from the razor itself ? I am not sure I can hold the blade cartridge square to my face without the handle. For a second there, I thought you meant imbed the blade part in the bar of soap and shave like that ! LOL
Old 05-29-12, 01:09 AM
jurjan

Bikes: Idworx Easy Rohler (2012) / Velotraum Speedster Single Speed (2019) / Batavus Stabilo (1995, now decommisioned)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I shave while on tour, using my normal gilette sensor excell system stuff plus wiliams shaving oil for lubrication.

I've got no preference for people being clean-shaven or not, just that they look like they take care of themselves.
that is: if shaving: do that every few days.
if not: trim your beard etc. every week(?)

but that's just me.
Old 05-29-12, 01:17 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I like shaving every day and have used all the blades by Gillette, Track II, Atra, Sensor, Mach3 and Fusion. I even used the disposables by Gillette and like those too! Shaving does not have to be expensive. A 12 pack of Good News disposables should last you a YEAR and it's only $10 bucks! The GoodNews is the disposable version of the Track II which is a great blade.
I've found the Bic disposables to be the worst by far. The company should have stuck to making biro pens.

My Gillette disposables last a good while, too. And I am not afraid to look in the women's section for disposable razors... they're often as good if not better quality (they have to be!) and cheaper then the men's equivalents.
Old 05-29-12, 01:58 AM
Gotte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong with a beard. If anything, I thought beards were all the fashion, now. If I were to be judged by a person just for having a beard, then I'd be likely just as wary of them as they me. It takes all sorts to make a world, and that's what makes it great.
Old 05-29-12, 04:00 AM
fairymuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nbh

Shaving oil comes in 20ml bottles that can last for months (depending on the brand). Not sure how easy it is to get hold of in Taiwan.
Old 05-29-12, 05:05 AM
Jonathandavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nbh
I'm wondering what to do about shaving cream. I don't want to take a huge canister of shaving gel, but I'm not sure what else I can use. The range of shaving products available here in non-hirsute Taiwan leaves a lot to be desired.
I used Sea to Summit shaving cream in a bottle. Apparently they ship to Asia and their website lists a distributor in Taiwan. It's OK stuff, not as good as normal cream but better than plain soap. The bottle lasts months.

Not shaving is only an option for those who tour without girlfriends or wives. For me, the advantages of shaving vastly outweigh the small amount of extra gear.
Old 05-29-12, 05:57 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
You do realize that Forrest Gump is not a real person, right?
Old 05-29-12, 06:01 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You gotta shave your neck man! At least I needed to on many adventures. The rest was just fine.
Old 05-29-12, 11:00 AM
Gotte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yiffzer
I don't shave. Why would we shave? It's part of our identity as men. It is not annoying either. I do trim my mustache though -- but I go to a barber shop and they do it for 3 TND ($2 USD). Here is me after 6 months of cycling in Spain and the Middle East. I blend right in. Well, I was mistaken for a terrorist by Tunisian police so that didn't help there. But hey, whatever! It's part of the story of life.

And don't forget, you're saving weight by not bringing all of the unnecessary shaving kits. Now you can race up that mountain a couple of seconds quicker.
Wear it with pride, my friend. Wear it with pride.
Old 06-03-12, 10:51 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I don't shave any more. I stopped in October 1974. The barber who cuts my hair also trims my beard... Occasionally I went /go wonky. Several years ago when my wife (of 32+ years) and I separated I shaved my beard off. She never saw me without a beard. 1st time in 32 years...

I have done that (shaving that is) a couple of times since - BUT it is sporadic...

Shaving wastes time... and resources AND promotes male vanity and Gillette profits. NNTR

Last edited by tmac100; 06-03-12 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-03-12, 12:13 PM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is coming from somebody who can't grow a full beard, but I like being clean-shaven. I also like having my hair be really short, and I'll buzz almost all of it off before a long trip if there's no reason not to. Less hair=less hassle.

I'd much rather bring along a razor and a few blades and shave whenever I get a chance than not, but it just comes down to personal preference.

Do keep in mind though that to a lot of people, a beard (let alone a shaggy beard which is what will happen if you don't trim/groom it) makes you look like a hobo, or lazy and sloppy, or intimidating, or a lot of other bad things. Yes, maybe it's on them for being prejudiced, but if you want to have positive interactions with people, every little bit helps especially at the first impression.
Old 06-05-12, 08:25 AM
nbh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonathandavid
I used Sea to Summit shaving cream in a bottle. Apparently they ship to Asia and their website lists a distributor in Taiwan. It's OK stuff, not as good as normal cream but better than plain soap. The bottle lasts months.

Not shaving is only an option for those who tour without girlfriends or wives. For me, the advantages of shaving vastly outweigh the small amount of extra gear.
Thanks for the tip! I found the distributor today and bought some Wilderness Wash as well as the shaving cream. I'll try it tomorrow and see how it feels.

I don't have a girlfriend or wife to tour with, but I totally agree that the advantages of shaving outweigh the extra weight. If I let my beard run amok, it makes me look closer to 40 than 30, and a slovenly 40 at that. It itches, too.
Old 06-08-12, 04:51 AM
robi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a beard.. goatee or whatever it is called in English these days.. I keep the sides shaven. I use a straight edge razor and soap.

It is easy as pie and I can do it without a mirror if I have to. I can do it with cold water too...

I personally do not like electric razors.....

You can always stop in a barber shop and get a trim if you do not want to shave yourself on tour.

robi

ps. oh, and straight raozrs are dirt cheap at flee markets and garage sales... I paid 10 bucks for mine....

Last edited by robi; 06-08-12 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-18-18, 01:09 AM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I use a straight razor to trim up anything necessary and a stainless steel manual nose-hair trimmer. "When he sneezes he looks like a party favor. - Major League". I love stopping in a small town with a real barber for a shave with hot towels now and then. What I want to know is how do people with long hair handle extended camping?
Old 01-18-18, 08:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.