Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Utility Knife

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring Utility Knife

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 02:18 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've been carrying a Leatherman Juice cs4: corkscrew, bottle opener, decent blade, but mostly the pliers and wire cutter for cable and spoke problems, though I've never had such a problem on tour. Still, it's a knife and a corkscrew and I'd feel silly without either of those. Of course my Swiss Army is better in those departments, but the pliers are enough of an inducement to carry a couple extra ounces. I carry a Micra when I hike.
I always amaze myself at my stupidity because I have not picked up a Leatherman yet. Not sure why I have not except that stupidity thing I just mentioned.
Old 04-25-14, 02:20 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by BigAura
Personally I find that kind of "wood-craft" tool unnecessary for bike touring. I do a lot of stealth camping and never light fires. I do carry a Leatherman which has been put to good touring use, over the years.

Even for backpacking, I long ago ditched my hunting knife. The only backpacking "tool" I carry now is 1.2 ounce box-cutter.
My touring is mostly going from state park to state park. I usually make a small fire just to have one.
Old 04-25-14, 02:23 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I find that I'm immediately prejudiced against any product that needs a flashy video ( a helicopter? REALLY? ) to market it.

Somehow I've managed to survive for decades with nothing more than an old Swiss Army Knife, recently replaced with a lock-blade version.
Old 04-25-14, 02:30 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I don't chop much wood either. I do baton to split but I could do that with my fixed blade. The good thing about this is that it can do more things if you ever found that you needed it to. When will that be? Probably never but there are several items, like a first aid kit, that I carry but will probably never get full use out of.
Very few bicycle tourists need to chop wood. Not many choose to chop wood. If you have a penchant to make fires, this might be reasonable to carry.

You can't be prepared for everything and people tend to carry more crap than they should. This seems to a very likely candidate for the "leave at home" pile.

It is an interesting design/idea.

Using it for self-defense is something that immediately came to mind but I hesitated to mention it. Usually any mention of anything other than trying to hug an attacker into submission bring on the arguments.
"Hold off attacking me so I can get out my odd knife from the bottom of my pannier." (You are much more likely to be run over by a truck than being "attacked" unless you are riding in a place you really should have avoided.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-25-14 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 02:49 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Interesting, and probably fun to play around with a little as you planed on doing. I don't think it would replace a regular 4-5" fixed blade as a standard camp carry knife. I'm not sure why everyone is so down on just having fun and trying it out. I'm sure it'll keep you entertained for a while.

Also for a few others talking about the video, it definitely seemed to me that this guy is simply doing a knife review. This "flashy video" isn't the company trying to sell the product. It's just a guy with a youtube channel who likes to review outdoor gear.
Old 04-25-14, 02:51 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Very few bicycle tourists need to chop wood. Not many choose to chop wood. If you have a penchant to make fires, this might be reasonable to carry.

You can't be prepared for everything and people tend to carry more crap than they should. This seems to a very likely candidate for the "leave at home" pile.

"Hold off attacking me so I can get out my odd knife from the bottom of my pannier." (You are much more likely to be run over by a truck than being "attacked" unless you are riding in a place you really should have avoided.)
The attackers in this area are very gentleman-like and go by a code of "Always make sure your potential victim is ready". That allows me to change out of my unstable bike shoes, get my new knife thing, throwing stars, etc. and even get in some stretches. Who can ask for more?

Exactly. I got one and I'll play with it and see where it ranks.

As far as being prepared for everything I fight that all the time. I backpacked/hunted before I toured/bikepacked. I on-purpose bought a smaller backpack than I wanted so it would force me to make decisions. As time goes on I'll try a new piece of gear when a nifty one walks by or something has to be replaced due to damage, age, etc (like grandma!).

As I mentioned above in a post this knife thing will probably just go to my hunting cabin and stay there. Heck I may just use it when cutting up taters or I'll see how it holds up when throwing it at a tree or something. I suck at getting a regular knife to stick. Why would I need that skill you may ask? I'll answer.... "I won't." But it's fun to mess around with.
Old 04-25-14, 02:53 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by mulveyr
I find that I'm immediately prejudiced against any product that needs a flashy video ( a helicopter? REALLY? ) to market it.

Somehow I've managed to survive for decades with nothing more than an old Swiss Army Knife, recently replaced with a lock-blade version.
Certainly. I could as well but I find a bit of fun into selectively trying out new things.
Old 04-25-14, 02:58 PM
WonderMonkey

I have one of the below which I keep in my truck. It has things I use in case of emergency such as pulling over to help an accident (a few times a year), or "whatever". If I like this knife thing I'll probably get one to slip into a pouch or something.

Old 04-25-14, 03:12 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I usually make a small fire just to have one.
For that purpose it does look like a well designed and light weight tool.
Old 04-25-14, 03:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Making cooking fires: tell you a little secret. All you need for a cooking fire are the tiny twigs, shavings, chips and etc. which industrious people have left for you at every ordinary campsite. No need for any tool at all. You arrange some stones into a little chimney about 3" ID and put your twigs in there. Works like a charm.
Old 04-25-14, 04:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
many places Its not long between end of the rainy season and Fire Season .. then building open fires are made Illegal .

other than say a prepared campground where the welded up a steel fire box, to build it in.
Old 04-25-14, 04:23 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
Opinel.

I love my Opinel and it is a great knife for preparing food, cutting steaks, sharpening small sticks, etc but it lacks some heft and cannot be used for heavier duty jobs like splitting wood.

I am also a bit of a knife fiend...

I carry a Leatherman PST1 and one of several folding knives on a daily basis, when I am travelling and in the bush I carry my Leatherman Surge and one of my fixed blade knives like a Mora or my Fallkniven F1 which is a serious piece of work.

My everyday carry... I prefer the Opinel to the Buck knife and have a Leatherman frame lock that I carry quite often.

F1... designed for the Swedish military as a survival knife.

Leatherman Surge... the case also carries a Fisher pen and a small flashlight. I could probably build a house with this multi tool and the blade interchange allows you to use the diamond file separately to sharpen the main blades / points. It does weigh a full pound with all the extra bits and bit driver.

One of the best knives ever made is the Swedish Mora... it is light, strong, and holds a wicked edge. I got my first one from my grandfather when I was 8 or 9 and have given one of these to each of my daughters and my nephews and nieces.

Old 04-25-14, 05:31 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This is a truly versatile blade. I got this from one of our Negrito instructors when I was going through jungle training in the Philippines over 40 years ago. It is made from a truck leaf spring, and can cut 4" bamboo, skin a monkey, or trim your finger nails. A heck of a lot better survival tool than our standard issue Ka-Bars.

Come to think of it, I can't think of the last time I had to skin any monkeys while on tour

Last edited by Doug64; 04-25-14 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 07:44 PM
WonderMonkey

Making cooking fires: tell you a little secret. All you need for a cooking fire are the tiny twigs, shavings, chips and etc. which industrious people have left for you at every ordinary campsite. No need for any tool at all. You arrange some stones into a little chimney about 3" ID and put your twigs in there. Works like a charm.
Agreed. However if I'm at a campsite I like to build one just a bit larger just to stare at and contemplate the secrets of life.
Old 04-25-14, 07:44 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by fietsbob
many places Its not long between end of the rainy season and Fire Season .. then building open fires are made Illegal .

other than say a prepared campground where the welded up a steel fire box, to build it in.
Yes. Those are what we have in the state parks.
Old 04-25-14, 07:46 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I love my Opinel and it is a great knife for preparing food, cutting steaks, sharpening small sticks, etc but it lacks some heft and cannot be used for heavier duty jobs like splitting wood.

I am also a bit of a knife fiend...

I carry a Leatherman PST1 and one of several folding knives on a daily basis, when I am travelling and in the bush I carry my Leatherman Surge and one of my fixed blade knives like a Mora or my Fallkniven F1 which is a serious piece of work.

My everyday carry... I prefer the Opinel to the Buck knife and have a Leatherman frame lock that I carry quite often.

F1... designed for the Swedish military as a survival knife.

Leatherman Surge... the case also carries a Fisher pen and a small flashlight. I could probably build a house with this multi tool and the blade interchange allows you to use the diamond file separately to sharpen the main blades / points. It does weigh a full pound with all the extra bits and bit driver.

One of the best knives ever made is the Swedish Mora... it is light, strong, and holds a wicked edge. I got my first one from my grandfather when I was 8 or 9 and have given one of these to each of my daughters and my nephews and nieces.
All fine tools! A few of those I have on my list to acquire over a period of time.
Old 04-25-14, 07:48 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Doug64
This is a truly versatile blade. I got this from one of our Negrito instructors when I was going through jungle training in the Philippines over 40 years ago. It is made from a truck leaf spring, and can cut 4" bamboo, skin a monkey, or trim your finger nails. A heck of a lot better survival tool than our standard issue Ka-Bars.

Come to think of it, I can't think of the last time I had to skin any monkeys while on tour

I have a commercial version of that, very useful.

I have a ka-bar, one of the leather handle ones. I carry it because my Grandfather had one while overseas fighting. There are certainly better knifes but if I need a fixed blade I'll always use it, and remember him each time I'm using it as a pry bar or a digging tool.
Old 04-25-14, 10:20 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

All fine tools! A few of those I have on my list to acquire over a period of time.
The Surge will also use longer saw blades as it has a standard Bosch mount although you can't fold it up... carrying a longer saw blade adds almost no weight and can be very useful.

As it is, it has a wood and a metal hacksawblade that do store in the tool and in the case.

The new model Surge is even better as it has replaceable wire / cable cutters and the cable cutters work exceptionally well on brake and shifter cables.
Old 04-25-14, 10:22 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I built my own but the Swiss Army Volcano stove is really nice...

Old 04-25-14, 11:41 PM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think the leatherman is another consumer candy thing. It makes sense if you regularly use all the tools, and have stuff that you carry (incredible!) that takes all those tools. Carry tools that fit something on your bike or other essential gear, otherwise you are carrying security blanket, what-if, tools.

I carry only a 3 inch long Spyderco with a delrin handle. I carry one of those postage stamp sized can openers (but I wouldn't if I didn't eat canned food now and again). The spyderco knife will cut a can open in a pinch. Most Bushcraft is nonsense. it's fun, and I admire the skills, but it has little practical use. Most cycling is far from wilderness; in a world of portable phones, survival situations are pretty rare, even dying people are getting their calls out; and in those set-up situations like Naked and Afraid, most of the survival skills amount to starving it out for 21 days. You have to bring more stuff than a knife and a fire starter, and when you do there is less and less for any of those things to do.
Old 04-26-14, 04:03 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
I tour with an Opinel No.6, a vintage picnic corkscrew and a plastic Light My Fire spork (Light My Fire - Spork Original). With ring-pull cans and screw-top wine bottles I could probably survive without the corkscrew but like to treat myself to the occasional chateau bottled wine.

Joseph Opinel 1872-1960, a true survivor.

Last edited by Caretaker; 04-26-14 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-26-14, 05:54 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I agree it does work like a charm. I did use this technique on one of my tours when I was out of fuel. What's not so charming is scrubbing the soot off your pot.
Old 04-26-14, 08:46 AM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If he likes to play with different ideas, knowing that the chances of finding something better than what you have is low, then he will be intrigued.

I like how this can be a scraper for hides. Sure you could do that with a fixed blade or a rock but not as easy.

That's how I see it. It looks wonderful for preparing hides for tanning. I could really see owning this blade if I had a large number of hides to work on.
Old 04-26-14, 08:51 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by MassiveD
I think the leatherman is another consumer candy thing. It makes sense if you regularly use all the tools, and have stuff that you carry (incredible!) that takes all those tools. Carry tools that fit something on your bike or other essential gear, otherwise you are carrying security blanket, what-if, tools.
I use my Leatherman PST 1 every day, it is a nice light carry with a good selection of tools.... it was the original Leatherman.

The Surge is a heavy duty tool which has also seen a lot of use and abuse... I am working off site today so will carry that.
Old 04-26-14, 12:11 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well as I said, it doesn't have to be wrong for anyone else. However the fact you use it every day, like say the kitchen sink, does not recommend it to me. Your pic above shows a lot of stuff like Robertson bits (?), even regular screw driver bits have little place on my bike. Looks like a security blanket tool to me. A 2 inch hacksaw blade? If I needed a hack saw, I would just throw in a real blade, I could grind one end into a knife. As I say my basic rule it that if it doesn't torque something on my bike I don't carry it. I can't think of anything I use needle noses for on my bike. My only leatherman is the one with the scissors instead of the pliers. But I don't carry it either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.