Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Wheeled pedestrian...slow riding...trans-sport...utility riding...transport cycling..

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Wheeled pedestrian...slow riding...trans-sport...utility riding...transport cycling..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 05:53 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I might add that my dislike for sidewalk riders is to a degree two fold. From personal experience allowing bicycles on the sidewalk give city council meetings an excuse for not putting in painted bike lanes. I can't tell you the number of times I have heard, "let them ride on the sidewalk and we can still park next to the curb." When you mention that the state vehicle code indicates a bicycle is a vehicle they respond, make the sidewalk a bike lane." People must not walk anymore.

The second reason is something that is so often posted in this very forum. An example that is most often presented as the perfect solution. And notice they separate pedestrian sidewalks from cycling with a curb.

Copenhagenize.com - Bicycle Culture by Design: Copenhagen's Design Manual for Bicycle Infrastructure and Parking
Old 08-24-15, 06:49 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I might add that my dislike for sidewalk riders is to a degree two fold...

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… in Macomb County (Michigan). IMO, that is some of the nastiest road riding I have ever encountered. The main roads, to get anywhere, are six lane concrete slabs with bumps about every 20 feet, and many cracks and potholes especially on the right, with no shoulders, and heavy, zooming traffic with little patience for (slow) cyclists. Sidewalks alongside are frequently discontinuous, and often non-existent.

Even as an experienced urban commuter, I will often flee to the sidewalks, little used by pedestrians out in suburbia
Though I do ride sidewalks, under circumstances as described above, I prefer roads, even with adjacent MUPS. Nonetheless, I do avoid cycling on well-traveled sidewalks, especially those in business districts. The hazards of people exiting unaware from doorways is IMO even more frequent than car doors opening on the street.
Old 08-24-15, 10:15 PM
bluegoatwoods

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like both the 'amphibian' and 'embryo' analogies. But I've been an embryo only to a minor degree. Until I was about 45 years old or so, I'd often try to make just as much speed as the pavement would allow. Now I'm much more content at a mild pace. Other than that my habits haven't changed much.

I'm more an amphibian in that I habitually take pedestrian privileges when that makes it safer for me or when that allows me to get out of traffic and allow the automobiles to get along with their business without my interference. This includes some sidewalk riding. But if there is any foot traffic on that sidewalk, then I behave like a guest should. I'm slow and super-polite.

But what attracted me to this thread is the fact that I love the bicycle as practical transportation. And I simply can not see the allure of the bicycle as 'sport'.

I'm most certainly a 'Fred'. Not that my bike is covered with bells and whistles, but it's set-up to carry me plus those things that I need to carry. Mostly this would be the right clothing for work and for riding plus a bit of cargo capacity. Groceries or other retail odds and ends.

Unlike one of the posters above, whose name I don't recall, I believe in wearing exactly the right clothing for comfort on a bike. And I'll change clothes at work, if that's what it takes.

Most of this clothing is entirely normal stuff that a pedestrian might wear. With one exception; I wear a reflective vest at almost all times. During the summer that's all I wear on my torso.

So I could be mistaken for a 'spandex' type by those who don't know any better. On the other hand, I'm starting to see even a lot of Harley riders wearing yellow vests. So maybe the others are catching up with me and I'm starting to blend into the crowd a bit more.

To me one of the pleasures of riding a bike is the fact that it feels good. Of course. And one sub-set of 'feels good' is bad weather. The sort of weather where most of the people around you are scurrying from to their cars and feeling miserable. But in the right clothing, and having just done some riding, you pull up to the curb feeling warm and dry and thinking, "Hmm....nice day".

I wonder if roadies are ever able to experience that? Perhaps when it's cold but not wet.
Old 08-24-15, 10:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
ITo me one of the pleasures of riding a bike is the fact that it feels good. Of course. And one sub-set of 'feels good' is bad weather. The sort of weather where most of the people around you are scurrying from to their cars and feeling miserable. But in the right clothing, and having just done some riding, you pull up to the curb feeling warm and dry and thinking, "Hmm....nice day".

I wonder if roadies are ever able to experience that? Perhaps when it's cold but not wet.
Odd comment. <<puzzled>>

Why wouldn't we roadies experience that?
Old 08-24-15, 10:56 PM
bluegoatwoods

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Odd comment. <<puzzled>>

Why wouldn't we roadies experience that?
I'm thinking that your clothing is not waterproof. And I just know that I wouldn't be comfortable in a November rain without something sorta like flexible armor.
Old 08-24-15, 10:59 PM
Mobile 155

Machka:
I guess he doesn't think they have wicking base layers, full fingered gloves, neoprene booties, light weight and heavy weight jackets, skull caps. Helmets with shields, balaclavas, two or three pairs of shoes, wicking and wool socks and just maybe a dedicated rain bike? However with all of that I prefer to be sitting in my recliner drinking hot coffee reading about cycling while the rain cleans the air so I can ride the next day.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 08-24-15 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 11:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
I'm thinking that your clothing is not waterproof. And I just know that I wouldn't be comfortable in a November rain without something sorta like flexible armor.
Our clothing can be waterproof. I have a really nice lightweight waterproof-breathable jacket from Ground Effect, complete with long pit zips. I've used it in all sorts of conditions and it is quite comfortable on rainy days.

Like this, but an older model in a really bright blue ...

Ground Effect She Shell - waterproof cycling jacket

The only problem I'm having with it is that now that I've lost weight, the tail keeps catching on the back of the saddle. I didn't notice it doing that when I was heavier. I'm going to have to figure out a solution for that ... one that hopefully does not involve putting on weight.

Last edited by Machka; 08-24-15 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 11:05 PM
Mobile 155

I have to admit a November rain might not be as uncomfortable for me in Southern California as it might be for someone where it gets real cold.
Old 08-24-15, 11:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I have to admit a November rain might not be as uncomfortable for me in Southern California as it might be for someone where it gets real cold.
If it rains in November here, it's usually quite a warm rain.
Old 08-24-15, 11:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Machka:
I guess he doesn't think they have wicking base layers, full fingered gloves, neoprene booties, light weight and heavy weight jackets, skull caps. Helmets with shields, balaclavas, two or three pairs of shoes, wicking and wool socks and just maybe a dedicated rain bike? However with all of that I prefer to be sitting in my recliner drinking hot coffee reading about cycling while the rain cleans the air so I can ride the next day.
Yes ... I've got all of the above, and have used it all.

I'm into long distance road cycling, and when you do that, chances are you're going to encounter bad weather somewhere along the way. That's just how it works. And the minute you do something foolish like hand your jacket over to the support vehicle and watch it drive away, you're absolutely guaranteed to encounter really bad weather. So you keep it all with you.
Likes For Machka:
Old 08-24-15, 11:14 PM
Mobile 155

Nice jacket Machka. I have a Cannondale with detachable cape with magnetic attachment. My light weight jacket is a Saucony.
Old 08-24-15, 11:16 PM
Mobile 155

My longest ride was the furnace creek 508. The support vehicle was the team car.
Old 08-25-15, 12:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Nice jacket Machka. I have a Cannondale with detachable cape with magnetic attachment. My light weight jacket is a Saucony.
My longest ride was the furnace creek 508. The support vehicle was the team car.

Thanks, I like it ... and Rowan has a bright orange one like it too.

The detachable cape sounds interesting.

My support vehicle has been my father at controls on 200K+ randonnees. On randonnees, your support vehicle can only help you at controls.

On one occasion, I rode a 200K and it was a beautiful day. Blue sky, quite warm, sun shining all over the place. So I handed off my jacket at the first control, cycled to the second control and noticed that just a bit of cloud was starting to form over the mountains. No worries, not much cloud, still lots of blue sky and warmth. About halfway between the second and third controls the clouds roared in and dumped the most impressively massive hailstorm I have ever had the misfortunate of cycling through!!! The temperature dropped about 20 degrees and we had to take cover under some pine trees to keep our skin intact. Thank goodness for helmets too!

And on another occasion, I rode a 600K, and again, beautiful day, blue sky, warmth, sun shining ... so since I was going to spend much of the next 100 km climbing, I handed over my jacket. Approx. 10 km later, with my jacket well on its way to the next control, I was cycling through a snowstorm. I couldn't believe it!!

I've never sent my jacket off without me again!
Old 08-25-15, 12:42 AM
Mobile 155

The cape is a cool feature. Take it off and stuff it in the back jacket pocket and you have a vest. When you put it back on you just have to move around a bit and you can hear the magnetic snaps clicking in place.

In 2011 the 508 was a pre qualifier for the Race across America. You are riding two days straight. We finished in 41 hours. We had several 700 lumen lights but on a long downhill having a team car with lights flashing behind you was reassuring.

Never had enough for a team nor did I qualify for RAAM. Switched to single and double centuries and slowed my roll as they say.
Old 08-25-15, 07:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

The cape is a cool feature. Take it off and stuff it in the back jacket pocket and you have a vest. When you put it back on you just have to move around a bit and you can hear the magnetic snaps clicking in place.

In 2011 the 508 was a pre qualifier for the Race across America. You are riding two days straight. We finished in 41 hours. We had several 700 lumen lights but on a long downhill having a team car with lights flashing behind you was reassuring.

Never had enough for a team nor did I qualify for RAAM. Switched to single and double centuries and slowed my roll as they say.
That cape/vest sounds like something I might have to look for.

The 508 is one I've never done, but have had in mind for years. I think I'd have to get a whole lot faster. Congrats on doing it!
Old 08-25-15, 07:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Maybe this is what this thread needs ...

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/quiz-are-you-a-cycling-snob-45097/

(All in fun, of course)

Old 08-25-15, 07:16 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I can live with that JFB. With a oncoming rider you can never be sure if they are going to pass on your left or your right. After all they are already on the wrong side what else could they be thinking? Ninjas you simply don't see till you almost hit them. Both in my opinion have a disregard for other's safety.
Most ninjas I've talked to believe that it's a safer way to ride. They, like you, believe that safety is important. but they think that ninja riding is the safest way to ride. They might be wrong, and we can argue about that. But it's a falsehood to say that they disregard safety.

Oh, the same goes for salmons.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-25-15, 07:24 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Machka
If it rains in November here, it's usually quite a warm rain.
If it rains in November here, it's usually snow. Or Axl Rose.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 08-25-15 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 07:31 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I never needed a car to help me ride a bike. That would be the opposite of "wheeled pedestrian" I guess.

But still, it is a valuable form of bicycling--just one that I don't get into personally. But do continue to have fun with it!

I don't know where Furnace Creek is. It does sound like the kind of place where you'd want a Rapid Escape Vehicle!

Do you also do any kind of utility or transportation bicycling? Are you ever a wheeled pedestrian?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-25-15, 08:02 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I don't know where Furnace Creek is. It does sound like the kind of place where you'd want a Rapid Escape Vehicle!
Think Death Valley.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 08-25-15, 08:08 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Think Death Valley.
Yep ...

AdventureCORPS Presents Silver State 508, an ultra cycling race across Northern Nevada on Hwy 50 through Virginia City, Fallon, Austin, and Eureka
Old 08-25-15, 09:36 AM
Mobile 155

Yes Roody, I have a trailer and have been known to do some shopping by bike. But I am either a cyclist or a pedestrian not both.

I will not pull my trailer on the sidewalk. I will not ride in the opposite direction of my fellow cyclists. If the bike is on the sidewalk it will be when I am walking beside it. Or like the time I cut a tire so bad a boot wouldn't fix it and I had to push the rig home.

And still can't see ninjas as being safe unless they are hiding from cops. Salmons are riding at you on your side of the road. You have a choice of forcing them to your left out into traffic or passing them on their right forcing you into traffic. They know that as well as we do. They are a threat to others no matter how they rationalize their actions.

A car may feel it is safe to drive 45 on a city street. But if that street is a school zone it is unsafe and a sign the driver simply just doesn't care. Same thought process.