Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

"The Tone In Here" and other Sub Forums - Things have changed from 4 Years Ago!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

"The Tone In Here" and other Sub Forums - Things have changed from 4 Years Ago!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 02:51 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

Old 08-25-15, 05:05 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
^

Old 08-25-15, 05:13 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
The level of courtesy on any forum and the internet in general has not changed since either was created.
You just happen to be wearing rose colored glasses and do in fact appear to have thin skin.
There is a reason that all forums use mods. BF needs mods now and I am fairly certain they needed and had mods four years ago.
Whats your point again?
Lastly, was the animal in your avatar harmed during the making of that pic? It sure appears possible and I take offense to that.
You never saw that kind of animal cruelty on the internet four years ago
I'm sorry (to the OP) but this is pretty funny.
Old 08-25-15, 05:18 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
The level of courtesy on any forum and the internet in general has not changed since either was created.
I don't think there's been much change in the time I've been on BF. I think there has been a general coarsening of tone in society in general and specifically on the internet over the longer period as internet use has substantially widened. (The internet of course has been around for nearly half a century, but it wasn't really used by the general public until the dawn of AOL and the creation of web browsers in the early 90s.)
Old 08-25-15, 07:40 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The big change came 2 1/2 years ago. At that time a couple of members, whose names I don't remember, waged a battle to keep all threads on topic. Tom Stormcrowe sided with them and several of the folks who I thought were the most entertaining left for other pastures. I still mourn the change.

To me it's kind of like the difference between a text book and a comic book. One might be better for you, I get that, but the other one's definitely more fun.
Old 08-25-15, 08:27 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Been around BF for a fair bit. Some of the sub forums are really congenial and supportive (head over to the masters racing forum some time). Some are lively because you've got bright folks with different opinions. Some have a collection of people who are sure something is true because someone said it on an internet forum.

So it goes.
Old 08-25-15, 08:50 PM
bluegoatwoods

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't even remember when I joined. (Though I guess that'll show up on my avatar when I post this.) I suppose it was five or six years ago.

And I don't think that the 'tone' has changed in that time.

I can think of plenty of times when I though a thread was growing too rancorous. Yet it seems to me that even the most 'trollish' people around here are rather mild. More mild than the trolls I see on other forums. And it seems that 'our trolls' have something that's still worthwhile to read more than the other trolls you'll find out there. Let's face it; those guys never have anything worth saying.

So, on balance, I think that this forum can often be less civil than I'd like. But the 'amplitude' of the incivility seems to be mostly pretty mild. Things could be a whole lot worse.

Maybe I'm more sympathetic to the cranky folks here because they like to bike. And I like being associated with such.
Old 08-25-15, 10:09 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You just happen to be wearing rose colored glasses and do in fact appear to have thin skin.
There is a reason that all forums use mods. BF needs mods now and I am fairly certain they needed and had mods four years ago.
Whats your point again?
Lastly, was the animal in your avatar harmed during the making of that pic? It sure appears possible and I take offense to that.
You never saw that kind of animal cruelty on the internet four years ago
I wear my skin proudly! If a Photoshop rodent offends, by all means please avoid so as not to stimulate your delicate senses. Otherwise YMMV!
Thanks for your contribution. It was a contribution wasn't it. I think you mean well, but lack the social skills to articulate it. Dang I sound so mean!

I'm so glad I'm here! LOL!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 08-25-15, 10:10 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
I don't even remember when I joined. (Though I guess that'll show up on my avatar when I post this.) I suppose it was five or six years ago.

And I don't think that the 'tone' has changed in that time.

I can think of plenty of times when I though a thread was growing too rancorous. Yet it seems to me that even the most 'trollish' people around here are rather mild. More mild than the trolls I see on other forums. And it seems that 'our trolls' have something that's still worthwhile to read more than the other trolls you'll find out there. Let's face it; those guys never have anything worth saying.

So, on balance, I think that this forum can often be less civil than I'd like. But the 'amplitude' of the incivility seems to be mostly pretty mild. Things could be a whole lot worse.

Maybe I'm more sympathetic to the cranky folks here because they like to bike. And I like being associated with such.
Point well made!

Old 08-25-15, 10:27 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks. While I am often abrasive, so maybe my vantage is skewed, I have found that almost all of the subforums on BF are composed of helpful folks. Sure, some users are wittier than others; some are more knowledgeable; some are even absolutely clueless. However, almost everyone tries to the best of their ability to help other users find solutions to their problems.

Oddly enough, having encountered a few of the OP's threads, I was thinking that he could do with a bit less rude hostility if he genuinely wants help with the problems he brings. It seems like a bit of the pot calling the kettle black for him to call out the entirety of BF for being rude.

Like I said, I'm abrasive. (Tact and I haven't been on speaking terms for decades.)
Old 08-25-15, 10:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3892 Post(s)
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,387 Posts
Seems about the same to me. Different sub-forums have very different populations and thus the viewer or poster will have different experiences on each.
Old 08-25-15, 10:49 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks. While I am often abrasive, so maybe my vantage is skewed, I have found that almost all of the subforums on BF are composed of helpful folks. Sure, some users are wittier than others; some are more knowledgeable; some are even absolutely clueless. However, almost everyone tries to the best of their ability to help other users find solutions to their problems.

Oddly enough, having encountered a few of the OP's threads, I was thinking that he could do with a bit less rude hostility if he genuinely wants help with the problems he brings. It seems like a bit of the pot calling the kettle black for him to call out the entirety of BF for being rude.

Like I said, I'm abrasive. (Tact and I haven't been on speaking terms for decades.)
I'll take any constructive criticism where warranted. It is certainly not my intention to be hostile or abrasive. If that is your style then fine. I'm all with you. Well, not with you, but understand your position. There is a vast difference between contributing in an constructive and meaningful manner even if one disagree's with the premise of the OP or responses from other members. Otherwise, why do some bother to even post? Looking for controversy and baiting other members to incite a flame war are simply counterproductive.

We all come with different perspectives / biases, backgrounds and experience. Used to the benefit of the whole just seems to make more sense. I do not find the tone and tenor in the 50+ threads to be ascorbic and inflammatory overall. There are other sub forums that I am alluding to that could stand some civility.

Old 08-25-15, 10:59 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have only been here for about 8 months, but I was on motorcycle forums for years, even a mod.

i like the strong opinions, I like the sarcasm when done well, even some of the off topic is fun. The point that does not make sense to me (even though I understand why it occurs) is the rudeness for no apparent reason. I have very thick skin, I just think rudeness is a waste of time.
Old 08-25-15, 11:03 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I will point out that if certain specific people seem to be irritants to you, the "ignore" function is a wonderful thing.
Old 08-25-15, 11:17 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I have only been here for about 8 months, but I was on motorcycle forums for years, even a mod.

i like the strong opinions, I like the sarcasm when done well, even some of the off topic is fun. The point that does not make sense to me (even though I understand why it occurs) is the rudeness for no apparent reason. I have very thick skin, I just think rudeness is a waste of time.
And here is where I agree totally. Rude and inappropriate comments are a waste of band width. I am finding the different opinions and comments to be both informative and interesting. Can't we all get along and sing Kumbaya?

Old 08-25-15, 11:24 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by fthomas
And here is where I agree totally. Rude and inappropriate comments are a waste of band width. I am finding the different opinions and comments to be both informative and interesting. Can't we all get along and sing Kumbaya?
Some people think it is silly and or naive to believe or say, "cannot we all just get along." However, going into situations believing you can get along with others gives one a chance, believing you cannot get along with others pretty much guarantees you will not. I see no reason to go into situations with negativity, even though I am willing to play along if things get fun....
Old 08-25-15, 11:44 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
To continue this ahem rather off topic conversation, i must add that all forums have ignitery moments. Verbal pugilistics which break all rules. Highly intelligent people throwing every articulate insult into a war of attrition. . .even the poor mothers get dragged in.

I was a mod on another forum, but was loathe to break up the fight. It was pure entertainment and wonderful to behold.

Says nothing for intelligent folk, does it? . Or some moderators. . .
Old 08-26-15, 07:10 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Can't we all get along and sing Kumbaya?
No.
Old 08-26-15, 07:22 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
No.

You only feel that way because you cannot sing........

Oops, neither can I......

dilemma.....
Old 08-26-15, 07:26 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
You only feel that way because you cannot sing........

Oops, neither can I......

dilemma.....
The song. Kumbaya is best performed by belch-singing like in Jr-High summer camps.
Old 08-26-15, 08:14 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have been involved in forums for a number of years... have moderated on a few...I am relatively new to cycling and even newer to this forum...this forum overall is actually one of the friendliest and most encouraging of all the forums I participate in...not sure whether that says more about this forum, or me.
Old 08-26-15, 10:09 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by obed7
I have been involved in forums for a number of years... have moderated on a few...I am relatively new to cycling and even newer to this forum...this forum overall is actually one of the friendliest and most encouraging of all the forums I participate in...not sure whether that says more about this forum, or me.
Agreed! It is a far more welcoming and civil place than many of the other sub-forums.

Maybe we should be singing On A Bicycle Built for Two vs. Kumbaya

Old 08-26-15, 10:54 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
With twitter, being loquacious writing is out of fashion. Say it 140 characters or less.
With Facebook, bragging about your whereabouts or latest material possession is in.
With Linkedin, show how well connected you are.
With Snapchat or Instagram, show your latest hookup.
With reality TV, why not worship the headline grabbing drama queens and attention seekers; Justin Bieber, Mily Cyrus, Real Housewives of NJ, Snooky, etc.?

And one wonders why so many can't read, write, spell, or act in a civil manner?

The C&V forum is generally civil, but some of the best and most knowledgeable contributors fade away, like T-Mar and Auchencrow. I think that SIG does a pretty good job of handling the gnarlier contributors.
Old 08-26-15, 05:36 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Agreed! It is a far more welcoming and civil place than many of the other sub-forums.

Maybe we should be singing On A Bicycle Built for Two vs. Kumbaya
You are painting with a pretty broad brush by saying "many of the other sub-forums". Maybe you can list them for us so we can avoid them all, on your advice, of course.

I frequent quite a few forums here. There are some that just don't interest me and I don't go there.

But frankly, to say "many of the other sub-forums" in a negative context is unfair to the posters in them. There are several that qualify as difficult in my book, Road, Advocacy and Safety, and Politics and Religion among them, and I don't participate or rarely in do in those.

In the context of the large number of forums on BF, that doesn't constitute "many".
Old 08-26-15, 05:43 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you should try finance forums. Just out of nowhere "screw you and your 431b" tax return this! It's bad, some are truly mean to be mean trolls, even worse is the self righteous indignation. As if everyone were trying to be good but attack each other out of misguided attempts at justice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.