Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

"The Tone In Here" and other Sub Forums - Things have changed from 4 Years Ago!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

"The Tone In Here" and other Sub Forums - Things have changed from 4 Years Ago!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 09:46 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have returned to the States and to BikeForums after a three year stay in the Philippines. I am surprised at the amount of bravado, posturing, hubris and inability to stay on topic in a number of sub-Forums here at BF. Inane comments that do nothing to further the OP's original subject many of which I would classify as juvenile. And that is being polite.

Have things changed so dramatically that common courtesy combined with some serious moderation has been thrown to the sidelines?

I have far better memories of the tenor here (not so much the 50+ area) than what I see today. Am I missing something?

Trust me, I am anything but thin skinned. I do, however, appreciate polite discourse / discussion even if heated. That is not what I am reading in various sub-forums here and it is a major departure from the past.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 08-24-15, 10:52 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
What No Internet in the Philippines?

BF has 30/40 New Members each day..365 days Time 35 equals 12775 each year you were Gone.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 08-24-15 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 11:26 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
What No Internet in the Philippines?

BF has 30/40 New Members each day..365 days Time 35 equals 12775 each year you were Gone.
Internet was no problem. There are hardy and brave souls pedaling in Manila, but i was not one of them.

It is a good thing that Bike Forums continues to grow and I have noticed a considerable increase in international
participation.

So your point is ______________________ ?

Does growth alone justify doing away with common courtesy and civil discourse?

Old 08-24-15, 11:28 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by fthomas
Internet was no problem. There are hardy and brave souls pedaling in Manila, but i was not one of them.

It is a good thing that Bike Forums continues to grow and I have noticed a considerable increase in international
participation.

So your point is ______________________ ?

Does growth alone justify doing away with common courtesy and civil discourse?
New members I guess.

Old 08-25-15, 12:11 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
New members I guess.
I like the flag in your avatar by the way. You know what they say

Never ask anyone where their from. If they're from Texas they'll tell you. Otherwise you don't want to embarrass em.

Old 08-25-15, 12:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Forget it, Jake, it's the internet.

Overall Bike Forums isn't bad. I lurked for awhile before registering and posting, and received some very helpful suggestions regarding folding bikes. The niche sub forums vary considerably - largely influenced by the types of bikes and target demographics - but I found the folding bikes forum pretty friendly and informative. A couple others, not so much.

Any gear for any hobby that targets either a purist type of demographic or a very young or old demographic is likely to encounter more, umm... colorful personalities and thread drift. Generalized equipment tends to draw a more tolerant demographic, and I've found discussions of commuting bikes and hybrid, cruiser or comfort bikes pretty chummy, with only a few dismissive or elitist type comments.

Frankly, most web forums have gotten worse with age. In some ways it's an outdated paradigm. I moderated a few hobbyist forums for more than a decade and just resigned because it was hopeless. Too many members insisting on hot button off topic drift in every thread, no matter how irrelevant.

In the late 1990s the carefully moderated web forum paradigm arose from the uselessnet dung heap. But after a decade or so the same abrasive tone, incivility, thread drift and bickering that people claimed they disliked in uselessnet became the new normal in moderated web forums. Social media have changed expectations and lowered the bar for civility. On the one hand, I enjoy Facebook. On the other hand, I've unfollowed, hidden and blocked more people and groups during the past year than during the entire previous six or seven years I was on FB. I don't know whether incivility has grown or I've just become less patient with it.

Nowadays when I'm researching anything I'll first Google around for a few hours or days, mostly reading reviews and comments on static content articles and blogs. Most niche interest websites and blogs have fairly carefully curated comments sections with less gratuitous abrasiveness and fewer digressions. I'll join a discussion forum only after exhausting other research.

So far, so good on Bike Forums. While the diversity of equipment choices is mind boggling compared with when I bought my last serious bike (a Motobecane in 1976), that's a good thing. There's less unwarranted brand consciousness than with some hobbies, and more emphasis on getting the best value at a given price regardless of the marque.

And I'll apologize in advance to the mods of this forum. This is the sort of thing that makes mods facepalm on any type of forum. It's usually a no-win situation for anyone -- to mods, it invariably deteriorates to bickering; to members, it seems like censorship if comments or entire threads are deleted. It's always a choice of "Do I rip the bandage off slowly or quickly?" Either way, nobody is happy.
Old 08-25-15, 12:52 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your well written and thorough perspective. 4 years ago there were a number of interesting and insightful folks here in the 50+. I am sure there still are even if the names have changed. The 50+ threads always tended to be more positive even when disagreements arose. I was just taken aback by the abrasive attitudes, machismo, bravado and inflammatory demeanors in some of the threads I was reading in other sub forums.

It certainly made me wonder how BF is moderated now, which I have to agree is no easy task. Without some firm and reasonable rules / guidelines I can see where much of what I am referring to will simply lead to less positive participation of those disinclined to put up with the immature and abrasive conduct of some. Thus making for a less than enjoyable forum experience.

Guess it a different dynamic than the past and something I was surprised by.

Thanks again for your perspective.

Old 08-25-15, 05:36 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Eh up lads. . . tea breaks over. ...
Old 08-25-15, 05:43 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The level of courtesy on any forum and the internet in general has not changed since either was created.
You just happen to be wearing rose colored glasses and do in fact appear to have thin skin.
There is a reason that all forums use mods. BF needs mods now and I am fairly certain they needed and had mods four years ago.
Whats your point again?
Lastly, was the animal in your avatar harmed during the making of that pic? It sure appears possible and I take offense to that.
You never saw that kind of animal cruelty on the internet four years ago
Old 08-25-15, 07:16 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have returned to the States and to BikeForums after a three year stay in the Philippines. I am surprised at the amount of bravado, posturing, hubris and inability to stay on topic in a number of sub-Forums here at BF. Inane comments that do nothing to further the OP's original subject many of which I would classify as juvenile. And that is being polite.

Have things changed so dramatically that common courtesy combined with some serious moderation has been thrown to the sidelines?

I have far better memories of the tenor here (not so much the 50+ area) than what I see today. Am I missing something?

Trust me, I am anything but thin skinned. I do, however, appreciate polite discourse / discussion even if heated. That is not what I am reading in various sub-forums here and it is a major departure from the past.
Are you a cyclist or a bike rider?
Old 08-25-15, 07:16 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
A buddy of mine is on a softball forum that emulates a drunken soccer riot within 3 posts no matter the subject.
Old 08-25-15, 07:23 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-25-15, 07:27 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I've been here since....oh wait, that's on my av. Anyways, the internet is people. As said, this place has swelled in membership and activity, especially in this current bike boom. As for the tone in here, it isnt always rude, snippity and arrogant. Most of the time it is rather sedate. (Punfully intended)
Old 08-25-15, 07:29 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Are you a cyclist or a bike rider?
Toeclips or clipless?
Old 08-25-15, 07:40 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Even during the "tour" they will attack the Yellow Jersey if he has a mechanical issues, unlike the old days when they would wait.
Old 08-25-15, 09:58 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I've been on this forum for several years and can't honestly say that I've experienced the kind of changes you (the OP) have. Seems pretty much the same to me.

I can't comment on many of the other forums though I find "Commuting" and our/my local "SoCal" forums friendly and quite useful. Most of my posts and threads that I've read, however, have been on this 50+ forum.

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 08-25-15 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 11:07 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I've been on this forum for several years and can't honestly say that I've experienced the kind of changes you (the OP) have. Sems pretty much the same to me.

I can't comment on many of the other forums though I find "Commuting" and our/my local "SoCal" forums friendly and quite useful. Most of my posts and threads that I've read, however, have been on this 50+ forum.

Rick / OCRR
Hey gang! The reason I posted my observations here at 50+ is because it was and still is the most congenial sub Forum.

Now that the issue of Toeclips or Clipless has entered into the discussion. I have to say that platforms are the way for me to go.

I thank yall for your comments. I just need to spend more time here, get acquainted again and participate in some of the threads where I can contribute positively or ask some positively stupid questions. Trust me I am sure I've got plenty of those.

Old 08-25-15, 11:26 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been on this forum for several years and can't honestly say that I've experienced the kind of changes you (the OP) have. Sems pretty much the same to me.

Rick / OCRR
Is this Frank Thomas who use to hang around BF?

I agree with Rick... there hasn't really been much change. The forums that were positive and uplifting (C & A and 50+) remain so and the forums that were "difficult" still are.

I hang mostly in P & R and frankly, while there seems to be alot of childish sniping, it's actually a friendlier place; the mods have done a excellent job keeping things civil...

Social media has changed alot and people are now more emboldened to make comments less appropiate. Also I think younger people, now communicating almost exclusively through a "faceless" media, lack tact; they don't know how to be polite. They aren't rude mind ya, just don't have manners like us old folks...

If this is Frank, welcome back... hope you find one of the forums to your liking...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-25-15, 11:28 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
I thought this thread was going to be about how we no longer need that sticky *****THE TONE IN HERE**** thread by Tom Stormcrowe because whatever problem prompted that post 2-1/2 years ago isn't a thing anymore.
Old 08-25-15, 11:40 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

Rick / OCRR
That's kind of my observation, too. The people somewhat come and go, but some of those that left were real yahoos, too, so it all stays about the same. Or maybe I'm just one of the uncivil yahoos so I don't notice the deterioration.

I'm okay with thread drift, a lot of times, the alternative is deadness, which is not good either.

"Juvenile" may be a good term for 50% of what's on the internet, but then again, I'm not aware of an age limit in the general forums. So yes, you likely have some people that lack maturity. If they're riding bicycles and talking about it online, that's a good thing, though, so we want 'em to feel welcome here. There's a couple of guys at my bike shop that are way younger than me, and I appreciate their help.
Old 08-25-15, 11:41 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with Rick and Pamestique.. I dont see that the 50+ has changed much.... and I have been fortunate to meet a couple out on rides (Rick@OCRR and Biker395)
Old 08-25-15, 11:43 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahhh! A bike rider?

Old 08-25-15, 12:00 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
The Tone In Here" and other Sub Forums - Things have changed from 4 Years Ago!!!

Originally Posted by canklecat
…Overall Bike Forums isn't bad. I lurked for awhile before registering and posting, and received some very helpful suggestions regarding folding bikes. The niche sub forums vary considerably - largely influenced by the types of bikes and target demographics - but I found the folding bikes forum pretty friendly and informative. A couple others, not so much.

Any gear for any hobby that targets either a purist type of demographic or a very young or old demographic is likely to encounter more, umm... colorful personalities and thread drift. Generalized equipment tends to draw a more tolerant demographic, and I've found discussions of commuting bikes and hybrid, cruiser or comfort bikes pretty chummy, with only a few dismissive or elitist type comments…..
I appreciate these types of threads, sort of introspective about the cycling lifestyle, and for me BikeForums is a keystone, when and when not riding. I’ve been an avid subscriber since about 2008. I guess I roll with the punches; dismissing posts that are silly or vitriolic, or enjoying and replying to many, and reading all those that attract me to decide. In particular I have enjoyed the extra special benefits of meeting others in person on a few Fifty-Plus Annual Rides.

I once posted about the BF style I consider its best form:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, turbo1889 wrote [not to me]:

Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as apposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…”
Furthermore,

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
I took note of a couple of other recent threads of a similar nature to this one:

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-25-15 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 01:24 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I do miss some of the 'guys' from several years ago.
Old 08-25-15, 02:05 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Much of this is about culture. As the membership expands, more cultures collide. In some cultures it is thought impolite to express disagreement. In others a "full and frank exchange of views" is regarded as not merely normal, but pleasing. And individual preferences vary, I like a vigorous debate while others, similarly raised, dislike confrontation.

If one chooses to participate in a forum like this one has to be prepared to encounter differences of style and taste. Those don't necessarily imply boorishness, though some may. De gustibus non est disputandem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.