Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Recommend a good bike shop where you live

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 02:35 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts

Knowing the location of a good bike shop when touring can be very useful information. That is why I have "Bike Shop" as one of the categories at biketouringtips.com.

After more than 4 years, there are only 9 entries in that category. Yet, most of the people who read this list have a local bike shop where they get their bike supplies and repairs done.

As a service to the bike touring community, I'd like to ask people to send me links to a recommended local bike shop (with location). Post it here or PM me and I will add them to the site.

Better yet, add them to the site yourself (requires a free registration) and tell why you like them.

Some future bike tourist in trouble will thank you for your effort.

Ray
Old 01-10-12, 02:43 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
cool idea.

Old 01-10-12, 03:02 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I don't live there, but had some headset bearings replaced while on a tour. I was really dubious walking into it past all the mowing machines and chainsaws, but the owner was cool, got my rig right on the rack. My early nintys Treck mbt touring conversion right next to a Madone on the stand. He was building it for, and as a Bike Snob reader it cracked me up, a dentist. I asked if the guy needed a madone, and he just grinned...

https://www.bblawneq.com/
Old 01-10-12, 03:59 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I went on my first bicycle camp out with the guys from this shop.

Trinity Bicycles
207 S. Main St.
Fort Worth, TX 76104
https://www.trinitybicycles.com
Old 01-10-12, 07:23 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
https://www.shermanbicycles.com/ (Sherman, Texas, north of Dallas)

https://djsbikeworld.com/ (Garland, Texas, a suburb on the northeast side of Dallas)

Those are the main two I use, not the only good ones in the DFW area by any means- I think a number of our rando riders use Bicycles Inc in Arlington, and I've heard good things about Knobbies & Slicks Bike Shop, 8300 Precinct Line Road Suite 110, Colleyville, TX 76034
Old 01-10-12, 08:21 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Hawley's Bicycle World, Fayetteville, NC. They will work on anything, if they can't they will tell you they can't.

Lanky's in Dunn, NC. They have parts and will do basic service, I wouldn't expect anything high tech, but good folks and honest.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-10-12, 08:26 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
If a cycletourist came through the town where we live, and suddenly had a need for a bicycle shop, he/she would have these options:

1) Go to the sporting goods store on main street, and hope that they might happen to have what's needed. If it is something like a tube because the cycletourist has used up his/her last one, there's a good chance he/she might be able to get a tube there. But be prepared to pay about $8 for it. If the cycletourist needs much more than that, he/she will likely be out of luck.

2) Cycle a long day's ride into Melbourne and find a decent shop there. Our nearest decent shop, and our nearest Anaconda, are about 80 km away. The best shop in the area is about 100 km away.

3) Cycle to Seymour (65 km) and catch the train to Melbourne.

Most of the people who read this list may have a local bike shop where they get their bike supplies and repairs done, but we order our bicycle supplies online (Chain Reaction Cycles, Torpedo 7, etc.), the supplies are delivered right to our door, and Rowan fixes the bicycles or builds the bicycles or whatever needs to be done.
Old 01-11-12, 07:44 AM
bud16415

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you are doing the circle tour of Lake Erie or the Great Lakes you travel thru a small section of Pennsylvinia (one day in Pa) around Erie. The route will be Rt5 or Rt20 that parallel each other. These 3 shops are all full service and I have had a great experience at all of them and they are all on the route.
From east to west.
https://lakecountrybike.com/

https://www.johnadamscycling.com/

https://competitivegear.com/

If you are coming north to the great lakes Pittsburgh to Erie the full service shop I would recommend before you get to Erie is in Meadville Pa.

https://www.emigsbicycleshop.com/
Old 01-11-12, 08:37 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mark's Baywood Cyclery

Mark's Baywood Cyclery in Los Osos, CA. - 2179 10th Street, Los Osos, CA 93402-3215; (805) 528-5115 - ‎ "The happiest bike shop on earth!"

Mark's is located about two blocks off the Pacific Coast route, between Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo (although if you take the Turri Road alternative you'll miss Los Osos and Mark's.)

Mark's shop used to be affiliated with Art's Cyclery (which is now fairly famous because they've become an online outlet.) When Art sold to the new owners they decided to close down the shop in Los Osos. Mark took some time off, then decided to re-open under his own name. He doesn't have the extensive lines of bikes available for sale that he did when he was part of Art's (though he still has some nice bikes) but his service is wonderful, and he's a really nice guy. Stop in if you need parts, accessories, or some work done.

Last edited by BigBlueToe; 01-14-12 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-11-12, 09:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Trophy Bikes in Philadelphia:

https://trophybikes.com/

They sell lots of touring bikes (Surly, Jamis, Fuji, Waterford, Gunnar, Marin, IF) and accessories (Carradice, Tubus, Ortlieb, Jandd, Arkel, Schwalbe, Brooks, Burley, SKS). And they have people who have actually toured.
Old 01-11-12, 09:18 PM
Into_the_wind

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Different bikes

Different Bikes in Vancouver (West Vancouver one is the best)

https://www.differentbikes.ca/

Basically a consortium (read *not a franchise*) of bike shops with different owners but oprating under the same brand. The one in west vancouver has friendly staff, although the real highlight are the mechanics who do a lot for free, are friendly and give useful advice if you ask for it.
Old 01-12-12, 12:52 AM
PapaToad

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento Trek 950 Schwinn Criss Cross none are stock!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uncle Crusty's

Little shop in Santa Rosa California.
If you are going to be in Northern Ca. You definately want to have their number handy. Check em out online.
Old 01-12-12, 01:02 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
If anyone happens to be in my neck of the woods I almost always have coffee on and room in the shop for needy travelers...
Old 01-12-12, 01:06 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
In my metro area it would be easier to list the crappy ones. Even then the crappy ones are sometimes awesome if you get the right person.

Vancouver Cyclery is right up the road from me but I rarely go there as it's kinda pricey ($7 tubes) and staffed almost entirely by BMX kids. But the owner is pretty awesome. He helped me adjust my Pinarello's headset when it went loose and I couldn't find my 12" Crescent. Free of charge and while-U-wait (about 5 minutes).
Old 01-12-12, 01:16 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

In Portland I'd send people to A Better Cycle (23rd and Division) and would suggest they talk to Clint as he knows his stuff and unlike many, can also deal with internal gear hubs.

I do a lot of free work for friends in Portland when I am there but do not have a shop so would not take on paid work as I'd be breaking some labour laws.
Old 01-12-12, 01:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
In Portland I'd send people to A Better Cycle (23rd and Division) and would suggest they talk to Clint as he knows his stuff and unlike many, can also deal with internal gear hubs.

I do a lot of free work for friends in Portland when I am there but do not have a shop so would not take on paid work as I'd be breaking some labour laws.
Actually I don't think you would at first. I think you can do up to $3000 worth of work per year as an independent contractor, doing business as your own name without a business license in Portland.

Double check to make sure but that was the case back in the '90s. Might have to check if citizenship status has any bearing on things also.

Is A Better Cycle the place that had the P-far out front? I rarely get down that far south but happened to hit a shop down on Division a couple summers ago.
Old 01-12-12, 06:17 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best bike shop ever, and they even have an extensive museum of old bike:

Old Spokes Home
Burlington, Vt

https://www.oldspokeshome.com
Old 01-12-12, 12:54 PM
clayton c

Bikes: touring bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
I went on my first bicycle camp out with the guys from this shop.

Trinity Bicycles
207 S. Main St.
Fort Worth, TX 76104
https://www.trinitybicycles.com
I second these guys. Very helpful.
Old 01-12-12, 01:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Actually I don't think you would at first. I think you can do up to $3000 worth of work per year as an independent contractor, doing business as your own name without a business license in Portland.

Double check to make sure but that was the case back in the '90s. Might have to check if citizenship status has any bearing on things also.

Is A Better Cycle the place that had the P-far out front? I rarely get down that far south but happened to hit a shop down on Division a couple summers ago.
I would need a work Visa... ABC does have a Penny Farthing out front.

Seven Corners is on 20th and Powell and they were pretty great when I needed a few things while I was there... staff is really cheerful and it is a friendly shop although they are not as up on IGH hubs as ABC and this is something my wife needs when I am not there as her bike runs an Alfine and B bike runs an AW which are thankfully, pretty maintainence free.

You can't swing a cat without hitting a bike shop in Portland and am sure there are many great mechanics but since I never have need of a mechanic, and just need parts, can't really comment on who is really good.

Clever Cycles can handle pretty much anything as far as urban bicycles goes, has a great staff, and we are friends with the owners... am not sure that they would be as equipped to deal with a modern touring bike when it comes to running parts but their selection of accessories and great gear is second to none.
Old 01-12-12, 01:05 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikeworks is our community co-op here and we have seen countless travellers over the years and it is a great place for those who are traveling and don;t mind doing work themselves as the shop is as well equipped as any, prices are dirt cheap for shop time, and there are some really experienced volunteers.

Velocity Cycle in Edmonton has two of the most experienced and skilled mechanics in the city, stocks everything, and as far shpos here go, it does not get much better. They are also very involved in the community which I count as a plus.
Old 01-13-12, 12:36 AM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very biased as I work there but Bicycle Experience in Colorado Springs is great!! Well used touring bikes get me a lot more excited than the latest carbon wonder bike any day of the week.

Also just took a short trip to Boulder and these (fullcyclebikes) guys were very cool when I stopped in to browse around.
Old 01-13-12, 07:29 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

For the touring 'bent rider rolling through Portland, hit up Coventry Cycles on Hawthorne.
Old 01-13-12, 02:28 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Twelve bike shops in the Grand Valley and, sadly, I'm not excited about any of them.
Maybe Rapid Creek Cycles in Palisade, CO is ok though. A couple of the guys there have done some touring.
The Gear Exchange in Glenwood Springs, CO looked pretty good too.

We have our own personal bike shop in our basement with all our own tools. Any folks touring through are welcome. We are on warmshowers.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 01-14-12, 08:12 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Boulder:
Vecchios for mechanical wizardry
Excel Sports for huge selection at decent prices
University Bikes for great clothing at the mid-to high- price points and a small selection of bags & racks
Boulder Cycle Sport for high end roadie stuff
There are like 10 more decent to awesome shops in town, it's kind of ridiculous to try to list them. but for mechanical know-how, Vecchio's is the absolute bomb.
Old 01-14-12, 11:02 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Epic Ride Cyclrey, in Twin Falls, ID. They are on Kimberly Dr., near Eastland Ave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.