Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Sleeping pads - What do you use - pro/con

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 11:15 AM
tom cotter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking at my gear and i'm realizing it's time for a total makeover. Some of this stuff is 20 years old. Most of what i'm replacing needs replacing, it's fairly worn out. The serviceable gear, like my 22 year old tent, well technology has advanced, time for lighter stronger.

First up, something highly personal, sleeping pads. I have an old inflatable, not great but gets the job done. I figured this for a simple decision but when i got to REI, I suffered analysis paralysis. Too many choices!!!!

Let's poll the experts: What sleeping pad do you use, what do you like about it, and what would you change if you could?
Old 07-18-12, 11:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad, size Regular would be my choice now. I used the original NeoAir and it was the lightest, smallest packing, most comfortable pad I have used. I found my original one fine at 18F and the new one is said to have a better R value.

There are two drawbacks:
  1. They are expensive.
  2. They do sometimes have inner baffles break causing a blister/bulge. That said if you buy from REI they will replace it outside the normal warranty period. Actually Cascade Designs may as well, or at least they did in my case despite the fack that I had no receipt, didn't remember where I bought it, and didn't remember when I bought it.

A few tips:
  1. Keep it clean and free of stuff like sunscreen, bug spray, and body oils. When that doesn't happen wash and dry it frequently.
  2. Do not over inflate it.
  3. Be careful of leaving it inflated in a hot tent in the sun.
Old 07-18-12, 12:12 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Exped synmat UL7....no complaints.
Old 07-18-12, 12:22 PM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me that question is a bit like asking "How long is a piece of string?"
The breakdown:
Closed cell (light, easiest to use, not so easy to pack small, not very much support)
Self-inflating (heavier, pretty easy to use, not so easy to pack small, a little more support)
Fully inflating (can be the heaviest option but can also be close to the self-inflator, more effort to get it inflated, packs very small, more support)

What is most important to you? Weight, comfort, packed size, ease of setup and take-down, cost?
List your priorities in order.

Last edited by DTSCDS; 07-18-12 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 12:27 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Any outdoor gear with polyurethane (PU) waterproof coating that's more than 10 years old should be inspected for signs that the PU coating has deteriorated. A common symptom is a bad odor with no obvious cause, which to my nose smells like vomit. Another sign is that the PU will begin separating from the base nylon or polyester fabric, either in pieces or whole films of PU coating. This produces a translucent, uneven, milky appearance when viewed from inside the pack, tent rain fly, stuff sack, or pannier. In some cases the PU simply separates and hangs off in strips and patches. I've had all these bits of gear "rot away" while stored in an air-conditioned, UV-protected room or closet - as the PU coating depolymerizes over the course of time. You can still use packs and panniers where the waterproofing (WP) PU is shot, but you'll have to find WP covers, which is easy since they can be purchased. However, tents and stuff sacks are pretty useless once they lose the PU WP. Ten to fifteen years seems to be the time when PU first starts to give out.

In addition to waterproof coatings used in outdoor gear, foam padding will rot over time too. EVA and PU foams will simply crumble into dust after ten years or less. I have a pair of circa 1997 Vasque Super Hikers with dense foam midsoles, and the Vibram rubber outer sole literally fell off as I lifted the boots from a shelf in the closet. The midsole was nothing but black dust after ten years. The Vibram sole was still in great shape (now if I can just glue that to my foot). I've had Gregory backpacks where the back padding and/or strap padding crumbled into dust.

So, if your gear is >10 years old and includes WP layers or foam, it may already be junk, regardless of use and appearance.

Now back to topic, I mostly use traditional Thermarest pads. They are relatively bulky and heavy compared to modern air mattress type pads, but they are more durable, insulate better, cost less, are available in a wide range of length, width and thickness, and most importantly, sleep better. For the short backpacking trips I still occasionally take, I use a Big Agnes insulated air mattress, as it saves weight off my back and is super compact. I can tolerate an inferior sleep experience for a couple nights. On a bicycle, gear weight is less critical, although the wind resistance of a big Thermarest sleeping pad is something to consider.

I also have experience with older open and closed cell foam sleeping pads. Although Ensolite was King in 1976, they are now inferior to Thermarests and air mattresses, and hardly anyone uses them anymore. I rank sleeping pads: Thermarest > air mattresses > various foam rubber pads.
Old 07-18-12, 12:36 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by DTSCDS
Fully inflating (ban be the heaviest option but can also be close to the self-inflator, more effort to get it inflated, packs very small, more support)
By that do you mean inflatables that you blow up? If so, ones like the NeoAir or the Klymit Inertia X-Light are not only lighter than the self inflating pads, bit pretty close to the closed cell foam ones. The Klymit Inertia X-Light for example is 6.1 ounces. The NeoAir small is 8 ounces and the regular 12 ounces.
Old 07-18-12, 12:37 PM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and there you have it. . .
Where seeker333 would find the Thermarest comfortable and the BA pad inferior but would use it in a pinch, for me it's the exact opposite. I find Thermarest pads basically useless. I think they are WAY too thin to offer much padding--I might was well lay down a few layers of newpaper. I MUCH prefer the Big Agnes Air Core.

There is no way around trying something and seeing how you like it. Polling us is not going to do much good for you.

Last edited by DTSCDS; 07-18-12 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 12:41 PM
staehpj1

I find Thermarest pads basically useless. I think they are WAY too thin to offer much padding. I MUCH prefer the Big Agnes Air Core.
Both the Aircore and the NeoAir are 2.5" aren't they?
Old 07-18-12, 12:47 PM
DTSCDS
"Fred"--is that bad?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clarification:
By "Thermarest" I am thinking of self-inflating pads in general. In my argument, the NeoAir would fall into the same category as the BA AirCore--ones that you have to inflate yourself.
Old 07-18-12, 12:47 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Love my Neo Air Trekker, best pad I've ever owned. Cons are the cost and have to blow up each nite but well worth the comfort provided. The lighter version was just a little too noisy for me when moving around on it.

https://www.rei.com/product/810375/th...r-sleeping-pad
Old 07-18-12, 12:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I got an Exped, air mattress with insulation in it..
fill options : chipped foam plugs cut out of their thinner foam mattress line,
[self inflate]

others, a synthetic insulation , or Down. now feature integral pump.

Took a Stevenson warmlight bag even thicker, down filled,
but wet Irish air gets to feed mildew and airtight coatings
become less air tight.
resolved only by going somewhere else with hot dry air.

Web discussions with Exped seemed to say a damp place where you camp overnight, for weeks

theirs may suffer the same problems.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-13-14 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-18-12, 01:15 PM
seeker333
-

... I think they are WAY too thin to offer much padding--I might was well lay down a few layers of newpaper. I MUCH prefer the Big Agnes Air Core...
I wholly agree, the thin, ultra-light TRs are inadequate. I have 7 or 8 TRs, a few are the thin, short 1.0-1.5 lbs pads I bought for backpacking, I never use them anymore. Even though they're heavier and bulkier, I grab the >2.5" TRs every time.
Old 07-18-12, 01:47 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
I wholly agree, the thin, ultra-light TRs are inadequate. I have 7 or 8 TRs, a few are the thin, short 1.0-1.5 lbs pads I bought for backpacking, I never use them anymore. Even though they're heavier and bulkier, I grab the >2.5" TRs every time.
I'm a little confused by this statement, as the ultra-light Therm-a-rests are 2.5 inches in height. The new Xlite is just 12 ounces, about the same as an old closed cell foam pad. The new Xtherm is only 15 ounces, and just about the warmest pad you can buy. I have an old Prolite, but it's just too thin and to heavy to really be of use, it provides the same comfort as a closed cell foam pad, but at twice the weight.

Sleeping pads are light, comfy and cheap, pick two.

If you're starting out and don't have much money, closed cell foam is the best solution; it's cheap, durable and effective and it won't leave you cold.

If you have money to spend, buy a NeoAir. They're smaller, lighter and cheaper than most of the competitors. If you're going to be camping on snow a lot, get an Xtherm, otherwise the Xlite. If the noise bothers you, spend the money you saved on a pair of ear plugs.
Old 07-18-12, 02:24 PM
12bar

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
Exped synmat UL7....no complaints.
That would my choice.
Old 07-18-12, 02:35 PM
seeker333
-

Originally Posted by fuzz2050
I'm a little confused by this statement, as the ultra-light Therm-a-rests are 2.5 inches in height.
They weren't when I bought mine - back then they were ~1.5" thick maximum for the lightweight ones.
Old 07-18-12, 02:50 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They weren't when I bought mine - back then they were ~1.5" thick maximum for the lightweight ones.
It's really amazing how some things have changed. I just got myself a Neoair, and I'm pretty damn excited by it. It's lighter and comfier than my old closed cell foam, and I managed to get it for the same price (REI used gear sales are awesome.) I have a thirty year old tent that's just as light as anything made today, and probably many times as durable, same with some backpacks I have, but sleeping pads have really been through some dramatic evolutions in the past few years.
Old 07-18-12, 02:51 PM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I knew this thread was like asking where to buy the best pizza, but great stuff so far. Keep it coming.

THX!!!!
Old 07-18-12, 03:11 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
exped down mat 7 .
Old 07-18-12, 03:42 PM
seeker333
-

I thought I had exaggerating the (lack of) thickness, so I checked:

My 1999 TR Ultralite pad measures 20"x47"x 1.0" - fully inflated. It weighs 15.9 oz, obviously they were aiming for 1 lb or less. I recollect this pad was the lightest TR type pad made up till that time. It slept OK in AT shelters (wooden platform), and not so well on rocky ground.

I also have a 2000 CD Ridgerest (foam like Z rest), 20x48x0.75", weighs 8.7 oz. Worst pad I ever owned for comfort, practically useless.

Finally, 2006 Big Agnes Insulated Air core mummy style air mattress, 20x72x2.5", 25.6 oz, just for comparison.

I've weighed about 50 or more items at the Post Office over the years using their fancy digital scale, at night when it's empty. About 47 of those items weighed more than claimed, some significantly more than claimed by the manufacturer. The newer items seem to be represented more accurately, and I think this is due to more people actually weighing things and sharing the info via Youtube, etc.

When it comes to weight specs, especially on BP/outdoors gear, you should always assume it is misrepresented.
Old 07-18-12, 04:29 PM
Cheyou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a auto window shade . $ 1.99 , light , packs small .
Old 07-18-12, 04:44 PM
Rifleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Neoair but as stated above they are loud like sleeping on a bag of potato chips if u toss and turn like I do.Anyone around u will be anoyed.
Old 07-18-12, 04:45 PM
Rifleman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Annoyed
Old 07-18-12, 05:19 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neoair that replaced T. Prolite. Lots more puffing, but more packable, lighter, and comfortable. Also a bit more fragile. Excellent service from Cascade Designs.

If yours leaks and you can't find and fix it quickly, contact Cascade. They'll do you right.

As noted, do not leave any inflated pad exposed to the sun for long. It'll explode.
Old 07-18-12, 08:11 PM
DW99
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have used an Exped Airmat 7.5 for several years, not too expensive, well made, comfortable, folds down very small into it's stuff sack (about as big around as a softball and about 6 or 7 inches tall). I think, a good value for the money. Easy to adjust firmness by letting air seep by turning one of the knobs. I like it! The only 'knock' I can think of is that it is a little narrow for my wide body, but so is my sleeping bag.
Old 07-18-12, 09:00 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Rifleman
I love my Neoair but as stated above they are loud like sleeping on a bag of potato chips if u toss and turn like I do.
The Neo Air Trekker version is very quiet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.