Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

titanium and carbon bicycle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 08:20 AM
sicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking into custom bicycle in New York. Possible choices are Independent Fab or Serotta. What are the advantages or disadvantages to the carbon / titanium mix bikes. In particular the XS or Ottrott. Just confused maybe I should get the Parlee Z1 or Corvid and stay with carbon**********
Old 05-17-10, 09:57 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Personally, I think there is little advantage to mixing Cf into a Ti frame.

One, you're taking away one of the advantages of the Ti frame by reducing its durability. CF is a bit more subject to damage than Ti, particularly abrasion, and crash damage. It's not like the CF is going to spontaneously fail, but odds are in the long term it will not as durable as an all Ti frame.

Two, it creates another bonding issue from the CF to Ti that can fail. Again not a big issue, but an uneeded complexity.

IMHO, the whole idea was more about marketing. It came along when Ti builders were trying to compete against CF. I doubt there is any ride characteristic that you can get with CF stays that you can't get with all Ti.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-17-10, 03:05 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with merlinextraligh on one issue. And that is the fact that I think the Ti-Carbon joint potentially introduces a likely "stress point" that can be a result of bonding issue(s). I have met two cyclists with Al-Carbon bikes who told me about "creaks", after they've owned their bikes for a while.
Old 05-17-10, 07:25 PM
evenslower
doin the hokie pokie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still manage to put a couple thousand miles a year on 2004 a carbon/steel LeMond and can say I have no concerns with the joints whatsoever and its one of the best riding road bikes I've ever ridden. That said, it would likely still be that way if it were all steel, or all Ti for that matter. I would tend to agree that marketing or the "our bikes have carbon too" syndrome led to the proliferation of bikes with at least carbon seat stays. Next frame will likely but all Ti custom.
Old 05-17-10, 07:32 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by evenslower
I still manage to put a couple thousand miles a year on 2004 a carbon/steel LeMond and can say I have no concerns with the joints whatsoever and its one of the best riding road bikes I've ever ridden. That said, it would likely still be that way if it were all steel, or all Ti for that matter. I would tend to agree that marketing or the "our bikes have carbon too" syndrome led to the proliferation of bikes with at least carbon seat stays. Next frame will likely but all Ti custom.
Please note I'm not saying these are bad bikes. I think an Ottrott and your Lemond are both fine bikes. I'm just saying that the "advancement" of adding CF stays to a metal frame seems to be more marketing oriented than a true improvement.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-17-10, 07:38 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22587 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
I agree with Merlin. Get CF or Ti, not both.

I don't think you will go wrong either way.

FWIW my current bike is custom Ti, and I am very pleased...but I can't afford usa-made so instead opted for Habanero.
Old 05-17-10, 07:47 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
I agree with Merlin. Get CF or Ti, not both.

I don't think you will go wrong either way.

FWIW my current bike is custom Ti, and I am very pleased...but I can't afford usa-made so instead opted for Habanero.
How do you like your Habanero? My next bike will be Ti and Habanero seems like a good deal.
Old 05-17-10, 07:54 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22587 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
How do you like your Habanero? My next bike will be Ti and Habanero seems like a good deal.
I really like my Habanero. If I could get fitted on a stock frame, I would have probably just purchased a "major" brand CF or Ti bike, but I have unusual body geometry and need custom. I looked into several different framebuilders but cost was an issue...

The Habanero has worked out very well so far...so I encourage you to put it on your short list. PM me for more details if you want more feedback/suggestions.
Old 05-17-10, 08:01 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datlas
I really like my Habanero. If I could get fitted on a stock frame, I would have probably just purchased a "major" brand CF or Ti bike, but I have unusual body geometry and need custom. I looked into several different framebuilders but cost was an issue...

The Habanero has worked out very well so far...so I encourage you to put it on your short list. PM me for more details if you want more feedback/suggestions.
Thanks, I will send you a PM when I get closer to buying. If it wasn't for the economy, I would be stocking up on bike parts now. I have also considered Kish Bikes for a Ti manufacturer but Kish does cost more than Habanero.
Old 05-17-10, 10:25 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Write to Serotta and ask them about their CF Ti bikes, the durability, ride characteristics. I own a Ti Merlin and a CF Orbea. Both are excellent bikes with very different ride personalities which is why I keep them both. My sister rides a Serotta Ti CF bike and it's a great bike. Much too small for me to ride and have any feedback on how it feels.