Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lynskey or Other Ti Frame...Last Bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-16-17, 12:34 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I turn 55 in a few months and looking for my “Last Bike.” I’m considering Titanium mostly because of its durability, not so much because of any performance reasons.

One of the manufacturers that caught my eye is Lynksey. These look like very nicely built bikes, and the prices seem very reasonable. When you go to their site and build a bike, it shows “50% savings” or similar, which at first, I thought was a marketing thing but after looking at other Ti bikes I am beginning to believe it.
The R265 base price at $2,137, I’d probably upgrade a couple of things but still under $3,000 seems like a really nice deal https://lynskeyperformance.com/2017-r265-complete/

So a few questions (I have a bunch, my mind is sorta racing a little…), feel free to answer as many as you wish, or just give your general thoughts. I appreciate it:
What do you think about Ti frames? I’ve never ridden one; Are they that much different than my carbon and steel bikes to the point that I might not like it?

What do you think about buying a bike without test riding? I have the specs/measurements of one of my bikes that fits me perfectly, is this enough info to understand how well a Lynksey or other frame will fit?

What do you think about Lynksey as a manufacturer? About their 50% off sale?

About me if you’re still listening:
I have 3 bikes (listed under my avatar), all of which I ride. I don’t really feel like the frame material of them makes such a huge difference, probably because I don’t push the envelope when I ride. I ride almost all rolling hill country roads north of Austin TX, and every other year or so I ride the mountains in Colorado (Vail Pass, etc. sort of a challenge and test to make sure I’m not too old yet). Average speed ~ 18mph/29kph around home. I am much more interested IF I will be riding at age 65 vs. how fast I ride at 55. Usually I ride alone but sometimes with others, so I don’t want a slow bike, but I like to relax when I ride so I don’t want a race bike.

TIA for any info / insight you have!
Old 08-16-17, 12:41 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I have 2 Ti steeds. One for paved roads, and one for unpaved roads. Both put a dumb grin on my face when I ride them. Geometry can be a tricky thing, both my Ti Bikes were bought unridden...my Seven full bespoke custom, and my Carver off the rack. If you know the geometry you have, and what you want, you can make educated assumptions about how well you can make a fit work. There are several bike geo calculators out there to compare bikes.

You want Ti, do it.

Lynskey will do fine. My Carver is OEM'd by them.
Old 08-16-17, 12:46 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Bike longevity and the "last bike" notion are just BS IMO. Buy the bike you like the best. Lynskey is certainly a good candidate. But so what if you got carbon fiber and it didn't "last". You'd have an excuse to buy another one. I'm pushing 70 and don't need any more bikes, but I wouldn't be upset if I did. Building new bikes is the most fun I have in cycling.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-16-17, 12:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,468 Times in 7,309 Posts
I love my custom Engin ti. Before I got it I had only ridden steel and aluminum frames. I have no regrets about dropping the coin I did. (The frame alone was more than the upgraded Lynskey you are eying.)
Old 08-16-17, 01:08 PM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
“Last Bike.”

You're only 55!

I hope you live to get 10 more "last bikes"
Old 08-16-17, 01:25 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Bike longevity and the "last bike" notion are just BS IMO.
Yep.
Old 08-16-17, 01:35 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Is there any proof that Ti is more durable than other materials used for bikes?
Old 08-16-17, 01:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Bike longevity and the "last bike" notion are just BS IMO. Buy the bike you like the best.
Originally Posted by bikebreak
“Last Bike.” You're only 55! I hope you live to get 10 more "last bikes"
I have never ridden Ti .... and I also have said many times, the design, not the frame material, makes the ride.

Everyone I have ever listened to said Ti is a lot like steel but more forgiving, gentler, a little more flexible (within design limits.) Everyone I have ever heard whom I trust called it the most comfortable ....

Lynskey is a well-known brand with a long history of building solid bikes and standing behind them. I don't think you could go wrong buying one of their bikes if you bought the right one for you.

If I had the money I'd buy a Ti bike ... and couple others ... but then ...I am only a Little older than you, not as old as that geezer Rpenmanparker.

I can see getting a "last bike." I am at a point now where I won't buy any more bikes because I have as many as I can ride. After I retire (should that ever happen, given the economy and the government) and I can ride more, I might get a dedicated gravel bike, dedicated touring bike, and a Ti road bike ... or whatever. But “Last Bike”?

Yeah, you can tell yourself that ....I usually only try to tell that whopper to my wife.
Old 08-16-17, 01:52 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have owned a number of Lynskey's, and loved all of them. The R240 (or 250? not sure what they are up to now) is an amazing bike with fantastic geometry. Really hard to go wrong with them, and they are far less than most other ti options.
Old 08-16-17, 01:55 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Dean V
Is there any proof that Ti is more durable than other materials used for bikes?
Do you care?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-16-17, 02:01 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback...and so quickly!!

What I learned so far:
People who have Ti bikes seem to really like them. But I suppose the same could be said about carbon, bamboo, steel, etc.
Lynskey is a well respected manufacturer
The Lynskey sale seems to be a legit reduction in prices. I wasn't considering Ti due to the prices, but this Lynskey "sale" changes things
This will not be my last bike

btw: I Instant Messaged Lynskey and the guy was very helpful, answered my questions.

Thanks y'all, I'm still listening.
Old 08-16-17, 02:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Yes it matters. Why would I buy a bike that will only last fifty years longer than I will, If I can buy a bike which will last seventy years longer?
Old 08-16-17, 02:15 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yes it matters. Why would I buy a bike that will only last fifty years longer than I will, If I can buy a bike which will last seventy years longer?
Resale value, obviously.
Old 08-16-17, 02:19 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I've ridden a custom Lynskey gravel bike on both gravel and rough paved roads for the last two years. I put about 5,000 miles a year on it. It's a great bike. Beautiful craftsmanship. Excellent design. I can't call it my "last bike" because I've purchased a carbon road racing bike in the interim, but it IS the bike that I will probably keep for the rest of my life. There's no reason to ever sell it. If Lynskey could make a bike as light as my BMC SLR-01, I would buy it . . . and probably never buy another bike.

Lynskey is excellent to work with. I did have one online rep that was a bad apple (and he's still with the company) but, in general, their sales, design, and engineering people act as if you're the most important customer they've ever worked with. (I'm less than 90 minutes away from the factory, so I picked mine up in person. The head of sales actually helped me load the bike into my car.) Quality people. Quality product.
Old 08-16-17, 02:20 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by pvillemasher
I appreciate all the feedback...and so quickly!!

What I learned so far:
People who have Ti bikes seem to really like them. But I suppose the same could be said about carbon, bamboo, steel, etc.
Lynskey is a well respected manufacturer
The Lynskey sale seems to be a legit reduction in prices. I wasn't considering Ti due to the prices, but this Lynskey "sale" changes things
This will not be my last bike

btw: I Instant Messaged Lynskey and the guy was very helpful, answered my questions.

Thanks y'all, I'm still listening.
I forgot to mention that my Merlin Works CR Ti frame is the best bike frame I have ever owned. Better than steel, CF, and Al that I either have had or still have.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-16-17, 02:23 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
In the group I ride with, most aged over 50, 7+ riders have gone from nice carbon to ti in the past 2 years. About that many were already on ti and several of us went to ti from steel. Moots, Lynskey and Seven are the most popular, in that order. If you like a steel bike, don't expect an epiphany with ti, but there is a different ride quality and of course the weight. I won't pretend to understand metallurgy, but I've read that ti construction benefits from a more industrial process with strict tolerances as opposed to the boutique small operation where one guy has a "feel" for what he's doing. I don't think a ti manufacturer exists with more experience than Lynskey. You probably know they were making ti products for the aerospace and chemical industries prior to starting Litespeed so many years ago. I can't explain their pricing, seems like the frames are almost always on "sale." They are a family business and I've heard they try to keep production at a level that will allow them to keep their employees employed. Buy American, right? Regarding buying a bike without riding it, I think concerns about a "test ride" diminish as one becomes a more experienced cyclist. Understand your fit and the numbers, it's not magic. My experience with buying a frame directly from Lynskey was excellent. Others have bought complete bikes and were happy with that process as well. My friends who have bought Moots go through a local shop and I'm not aware of any problems there, either. A final point is that there is a strong market for used ti if you find it doesn't suit you. Few of the concerns with buying used carbon apply so the bikes retain a higher value. I can't see a reason not to try ti if it interests you.
Old 08-16-17, 02:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
In the group I ride with, most aged over 50, 7+ riders have gone from nice carbon to ti in the past 2 years. About that many were already on ti and several of us went to ti from steel. Moots, Lynskey and Seven are the most popular, in that order. If you like a steel bike, don't expect an epiphany with ti, but there is a different ride quality and of course the weight. I won't pretend to understand metallurgy, but I've read that ti construction benefits from a more industrial process with strict tolerances as opposed to the boutique small operation where one guy has a "feel" for what he's doing. I don't think a ti manufacturer exists with more experience than Lynskey. You probably know they were making ti products for the aerospace and chemical industries prior to starting Litespeed so many years ago. I can't explain their pricing, seems like the frames are almost always on "sale." They are a family business and I've heard they try to keep production at a level that will allow them to keep their employees employed. Buy American, right? Regarding buying a bike without riding it, I think concerns about a "test ride" diminish as one becomes a more experienced cyclist. Understand your fit and the numbers, it's not magic. My experience with buying a frame directly from Lynskey was excellent. Others have bought complete bikes and were happy with that process as well. My friends who have bought Moots go through a local shop and I'm not aware of any problems there, either. A final point is that there is a strong market for used ti if you find it doesn't suit you. Few of the concerns with buying used carbon apply so the bikes retain a higher value. I can't see a reason not to try ti if it interests you.
All well said.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-16-17, 02:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
I had a R265. I'll chime in tonight when I get to a computer.
Old 08-16-17, 02:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7335 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,420 Posts
You can't go wrong with Lynskey. They're very high quality. But be sure you get a bike that is comfortable. I have a Lemond Ti frame, and it is a nimble road racing frame. It's not ideal for me because it's a little too small for me, and the biggest tires I can fit are 25mm wide. I'm not sure I'll enjoy taking it on a long ride, but I haven't tried it yet. I think it would be less fatiguing to ride 32mm tires which I have on other bikes of mine (made of steel). The light weight is a terribly nice thing, though, and it's also nice that being made of metal, it's not likely to shatter on impact. I didn't pay much for the frame, as I got it used, so I'm not complaining.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-16-17, 03:16 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
“Last Bike.”
That's the common excuse for the wife. It really works!!
Old 08-16-17, 03:47 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
I bought my Lynskey frame from Adrenalinebikes.com in Orange County, CA. The Peloton frame was a little under $1100 and I called Lynskey to ask if they could match/beat that price. When I called, David Lynskey answered the phone and told me that the price from Adrenaline was a great deal and he could not match it. Had a lengthy conversation with him about the build. Great customer service. IMG_1536 (3).jpg
Old 08-16-17, 03:55 PM
cricket1116
Everybody Loves a Fat Guy

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just bought my first Titanium frame after having owned Aluminum and carbon bikes. I bought a Helix Sport frame from Lynskey and built it up the way I wanted. I understood the geometry enough to be able to know which size bike was best for me, but also discussed at length with Lynskey. At the end of the day, this is the first bike that I build instead of buying off a rack. I don't know that the ride is way better or worse than other materials, I think they all serve a purpose; however, I can tell you that no other bike has made me this happy to ride. Whether it be because of ride quality, cosmetic appeal, or the fact that I selected every component on there....I personally think it's the bees knees.
Old 08-16-17, 04:00 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Do you care?
Of coarse I do.
I am only 51 so my "last bike" will need to do a few miles
Old 08-16-17, 04:04 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Dean V
Of coarse I do.
I am only 51 so my "last bike" will need to do a few miles
Not if you keep buying bikes. See how that works?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-16-17, 04:05 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Titanium .... Nah ...

it's your last bike? ..... get a Canyon Aeroad with Di2, good wheels and hydraulic disk brakes ... you are getting old and you need all the help that can get to go faster

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.