Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Shame on you Bike Forums!

Old 03-29-20, 11:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
At least this popped up in the Political Forum.

https://www.gruntstyle.com/products/...SABEgJohPD_BwE
PS CliffordK Am I correct to note that you have somewhere close to 2,000 notifications listed on the bell icon?

Huh?
Old 03-30-20, 11:02 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
NOBODY is selling your email addresses! IB sells advertisements and sends email with them.

Now, I know that you are really scared sick of waking up dead in the morning right now but knock it off, you sad sacks!!! God didn't pee in your cornflakes.
Are you part of I.B. management? If not, and this thread is so upsetting to you, why keep opening it, then posting here?
Truly curious about that?
Old 04-09-20, 06:10 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Safari
Spam said "You have received this promotion as you are a registered member who has opted-in for Bike Forums newsletters." but I have not selected setting
"Receive our newsletter and special promotions from our partners.".
I too have NOT opted in.
Old 04-09-20, 09:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

People have been told that it's not safe to use email beacons to take action on subscribed emails in general by many security experts. I'm trying to stay out of this but there are people who would expect BF to handle BF problems and not IB, who are faceless and distant to them. It's plain and simple paranoia in the end. I think that some feel like Contact Us is like pounding your head against the wall based on previous experiences elsewhere or whatever.

The internet sucks?

Well, NO, but I see both sides. The staff is volunteer. Nobody gets paid for this. And I don't work here. Joseph Heller's dream.

All of us have to work together. What would be next, becoming hard to deal with and getting suspended or banned? What good does that do either way?.

Try THIS. Use the stupid link. Make sure you have your malware protection up to snuff, but some trust has to be made. Going around in circles is caustic.

I'm a member of several forums sites and most of their members moderate themselves. By no means are they all peaceful, yet we the members work it out. We do it because we love what the site represents, regardless of who owns it or what it's about. Over the last 23 years that I've been in these groups those that do this survive better.

Please, don't let discord run over things. In the case of newsgroups this is how outside forces take a group over.

Staff is fully aware of the email situation. You need to contact IB and let their technicians fix the problem you have. It doesn't affect everyone and you don't have to suffer. IB has owned this site for at least a decade now. Joe and Tom and Siu are managers who run or have run the site over it's life.And if we have a problem then many other sites owned by IB have the same problem...remember that the platform is a corporate version of vBulletin and all of IB's sites use it. This isn't the one independent sites use, not 3.x nor 4 nor 5. Staff didn't make it. IB did and they own vBulletin. Therefore, it is IB's deal.

I do like being a member here as much as anywhere else and it pains me to see all of this. PLEASE. Help all of us here. I've seen too many good forums sites die in my lifetime, regardless of topic. it's like losing a loved one in some ways.
Old 04-10-20, 06:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I can't see why it's that big of a deal. Just delete the email or unsubscribe. The reason it's usually unsafe to unsubscribe is because you don't know who is going to get that notice, and it's probably someone that's just fishing for validated emails. In this case, IB has your validated email, so you already lost that battle.
Old 04-10-20, 01:07 PM
zachleft

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
oh dear
Old 04-10-20, 01:23 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Let's keep it civil
Old 04-10-20, 05:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Has anyone used the unsubscribe link and still received the emails?
Old 04-11-20, 03:02 PM
Skippy kangaroo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Yes
Originally Posted by IBJoel
OK guys, I got an answer for this: Basically because of the way/process our forum uses to communicate with our email client, a very small fraction of users who unsubscribe may receive subsequent emails (it appears that it's a total of 2 people out of nearly 200,000). That can also result in cases like Skippy's up there, where an old email address is used. PM me the email address at which you received the email and I will manually ensure you are taken off of the list.
Thus, the situation is as follows: It doesn't matter what preferences you set on signing up. Consciously opting out of communication from "partners" has no effect - you will be spammed. Once you are spammed you must click the unsubscribe link to be removed from their list. But sometimes it doesn't work and you will continue to be spammed (it is hard to trust the quoted number given I've seen more than two people comment here about unsubscribe links not working). Sometimes when you change your email address they keep spamming your old email address. Seems there is always another excuse.

You asked what the big deal was. It's the betrayal of trust: preferences ignored - check; opt out rather than opt in - check; guaranteed spam - check; faulty unsubscribe links - check. I know what I call an organisation that behaves like that.
Old 04-11-20, 11:45 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I'm glad you don't get offers to try new hearing aids in the snail mail for some woman that the last two landlords here can't even recall and I've told the shop though. Poor Maria must be deaf as a post, or deceased.

Once you are on a snail mailing list you are loved for life

Oh well. You GET email.
Old 04-12-20, 04:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I finally hit the link to unsubscribe and I think it worked.

Here is the beef: we already put in our profile we don’t want these offers from your partners. That SHOULD be enough, but it’s not. Also, conventional wisdom is to NOT click on “unsubscribe” from spammers because it proves you are responding and may actually intensify future emails.
Old 04-13-20, 09:01 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Skippy kangaroo
Yes

Thus, the situation is as follows: It doesn't matter what preferences you set on signing up. Consciously opting out of communication from "partners" has no effect - you will be spammed. Once you are spammed you must click the unsubscribe link to be removed from their list. But sometimes it doesn't work and you will continue to be spammed (it is hard to trust the quoted number given I've seen more than two people comment here about unsubscribe links not working). Sometimes when you change your email address they keep spamming your old email address. Seems there is always another excuse.

{QUOTE}You asked what the big deal was.
No I did not. Please see my previous posts.

preferences ignored ; opt out rather than opt in
Opt out is our standard, just like Infinite Scroll and features on other sites. To see if it actually ignores preferences, I'll need to get wind of an email send, then create an account with "Send me partner emails" deselected from the start.

guaranteed spam
Again, we send emails through our own list to support the free site.

faulty unsubscribe links
Please elaborate how they are faulty. Clicking "Remove Me" takes you off the list, with a small chance of failure (about .001%, based on current numbers). No system is perfect, but that's pretty darn close.