Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Wheel, Tire, Bits suggestions

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 11:16 PM
2WheelWilly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone--

I've posted a message similar to this one before, so my apologies for the somewhat repetitive post. (The last one is probably out-of-date now.) I have a few decisions to make to finish a Ritchey Outback build. I already have the frameset plus 2x, 11 speed GRX800 components. I need to buy wheels, tires, seatpost, stem, and handlebars. Mostly I'm curious about wheels. I'm looking for something affordable, high (but not elite) quality, and reliable. Main uses are loaded (but not superloaded; I camp but just rear panniers do me and I myself am ~150lbs) touring and commuting on pavement but would also like the option to do light gravel. The wheels I've mainly considered so far are Ritchey Classic Zetas and Hunt 4 Season All-Road, both of which I'm seeing for around $400. Do those seem like the right choices? How do they compare? Most importantly, are there wheels of equivalent or better quality that I can get for the same price or less? I'm not looking to build wheels this time. 700c, in part just to make things simpler. I know things depend on preference, etc.--I'm just looking for concrete suggestions of a wheel *you* think is good at a good price. If I buy it and disagree, that's on me!

Re bars, I'm looking at a Ritchey Neoclassic at $45 or a Whisky No. 7 6F at $80 (I'm looking for little to no flare). Do those both seem reasonable? Anybody used either and has an opinion?

Thanks a million as always. Happy to hear any other advice folks have, too.
Old 02-02-24, 02:41 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Know you're avoiding flare, though have to say, 12 degrees of flare is not something I can "feel" per se, but the short reach and drop are appreciable on the Salsa Cowbell handlebar. Just a suggestion. Get the same 68mm reach of the Whiskey bars (sister co.) but a shallower drop than either of your suggestions, which would hopefully make the drops a place that you would end up riding. Specialized Expert Allow Shallow bend bars also would get you similar reach, and 123mm drop. I've had those on a couple bikes, thought they were comfortable enough.

Regarding wheels, I went with a set of Monitor Wheels been very pleased with them. The exchange rate was pretty sweet when I purchased, and they had the wheels built to my specs pdq.