Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New Clipless Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 10:19 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by justin1138
Started off on Eggbeater's then switched to Candy's after a year or so... Been riding those for a long while now. The extra platform gives you a little something extra to push down on if you miss clipping in right away. Has come in super handy for something like a cross race where you're in and out of the pedals more frequently than straight gravel riding. They are a bit more comfortable over long rides too. Less hot spot issues.
Hmmm...I've never had hot spot issues. That may (or may not) be to do with using very rigid soled shoes. With the kind of riding I'm doing, getting into the pedal a couple of seconds faster is not a concern for me. Thank for the input.
Old 02-26-24, 10:13 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Surely there must be some difference, otherwise Shimano wouldn't have a full cage version of its XT pedals.

DEORE XT SPD Pedal dual sided for Cross country ride & race / Cyclo-cross | SHIMANO BIKE-EU
DEORE XT SPD Pedal dual sided for Enduro / Trail / All Mountain | SHIMANO BIKE-EU

But I don't MTB so I don't even know what all those terms mean.
I have both types of XR pedals. The full cage does provide more support even with rigid soles. It is helpful in technical single track for me.

Oh my spd cleats are worn out. Doing some research the new Trek Pedals are also spd interchangeable like the Look and older Bontrager pedals. Lesson learned after 20 or so years and cleats pop out of pedals replace them. I have some pretty sore ribs from this. My fault as I have three sets of unused cleats I never put on when replacing worn out pedals.

The crank brothers with platforms I would go with if I was not already so invested in SPD.
Old 02-29-24, 08:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
SPD is easier than SPD SL. if you are used the SL, you will be fine with spd especially double sided as it is almost a "step on pedal to click" system whereas SL need to engage the pedal hoop and then press to click
Finally installed my XT pedals and my SPD cleats today. You are right regarding the clip in motion, so it is easier in one sense, but there is so little tactile feedback to indicate when one is actually clipped in, so in that sense it is a bit harder. Clipping out is super easy.
Old 03-01-24, 03:24 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Finally installed my XT pedals and my SPD cleats today. You are right regarding the clip in motion, so it is easier in one sense, but there is so little tactile feedback to indicate when one is actually clipped in, so in that sense it is a bit harder. Clipping out is super easy.
You might want to tighten/increase the spring rate to get a more positive clip.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 03-08-24, 12:43 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
New pedals arrived. Now to install them and replace my old cleats.

Likes For bOsscO: