Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 shifter lost its click

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 05:25 PM
danieljnolan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello

I have a 105 front shifter here which won't drop from the big to small ring. Happened all of a sudden on the road.

Cable tension etc is OK. When I push the lever rightwards, the smaller metal lever that usually clicks up and right simply swings out without any resistance and then stays stuck out towards the bike stem. I can push it back easily - no resistance on it.

I've (technical term) spaffed a load of W5 into the lever having taken off the cover and removed bottom plate.

What next? Site won't let me attach a pic unfortunately but hope above is clear enough.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by danieljnolan; 03-22-24 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-22-24, 05:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
How about which model number and which double/triple? Some had known issues with internal breakages, all are like any STI lever in that in time the lube dries out and becomes gummy.

Sure sounds like something might have broken inside to have come on so suddenly. Are you able to shift off the big ring with any lever fiddling? Or is the shifter still stuck in the big ring? Andy
Old 03-22-24, 05:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
If the brake action is engaged, it'll not let the shifter execute its sweep.
Old 03-22-24, 05:49 PM
danieljnolan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
How about which model number and which double/triple? Some had known issues with internal breakages, all are like any STI lever in that in time the lube dries out and becomes gummy.

Sure sounds like something might have broken inside to have come on so suddenly. Are you able to shift off the big ring with any lever fiddling? Or is the shifter still stuck in the big ring? Andy
St-5800, double chainring. Sorry was unsure of model but have located the stamp
Old 03-22-24, 05:55 PM
danieljnolan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
- no amount of fiddling with the shifter itself or the small metal lever it usually clicks into place shifts the gear. It remains in big gear
- brakes loosened off and everything moves freely with the shifter, just without any weight/resistance behind the small metal lever when trying to shift
Old 03-22-24, 06:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Using your finger, try pulling the metal lever as you move the plastic lever at the same time.
Old 03-22-24, 06:09 PM
danieljnolan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troul
Using your finger, try pulling the metal lever as you move the plastic lever at the same time.
I have just tried this: they both reach the end of their arc and can be returned to where they started, but nothing happens at all.
I assume it's possible that whatever action the metal lever has, the piece it connects to inside has broken?
Old 03-22-24, 06:36 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Some had known issues with internal breakages, all are like any STI lever in that in time the lube dries out and becomes gummy.
+1. Before trying anything else, do a flush with some solvent (WD-40 works well for this). Check out a few of these YouTube vids for how-to and most of these are not for your exact 105 STI's but same basic method. (1) how to flush shimano sti shifters - YouTube and this is one of my favorites.
Note that leaving any WD-40 residue on the rubber hoods will turn it to goo over time so clean it off really well. My guess but I think the mineral oil in it is the culprit so don't do the final lube with mineral oil.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-22-24 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-23-24, 08:54 AM
danieljnolan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Opened it up some more to flush out and found what appear to be the remains of a spring attached to the end of the small metal lever. Assume a spring normally attaches it to another part in the mechanism and that this has snapped? New shifter time I assume. Thanks for help
Likes For danieljnolan:
Old 03-23-24, 09:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Have you released the cable from the pinch bolt on the FD and then pulled a few inches out of the STI to make sure it isn't frayed?

If you put your pic's on the Gallery here at BF, we can find them. But today you should be able to get your additional five posts answering various questions or making useful comment in other threads. Still might need another day though after getting that magical total of ten posts.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-23-24 at 09:20 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-24-24, 12:48 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by danieljnolan
Opened it up some more to flush out and found what appear to be the remains of a spring attached to the end of the small metal lever. Assume a spring normally attaches it to another part in the mechanism and that this has snapped? New shifter time I assume. Thanks for help
I had exactly this happen to a 2 month old Ultegra 6700 shifter. Completely lost the downshift action. Suspect the same fault as yours. Warranty job in that case, luckily but I actually bought a replacement as I didn’t want to wait. Shimano sent just the internal mechanism, no levers, and I still have it in a drawer over 10 years later!
Old 03-24-24, 08:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
You can stop wasting WD-40, because your shifter is broken. Same thing happened to one of mine.

The solution is a new STI unit.
Old 03-24-24, 12:36 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by danieljnolan
I have just tried this: they both reach the end of their arc and can be returned to where they started, but nothing happens at all.
I assume it's possible that whatever action the metal lever has, the piece it connects to inside has broken?
Yup, broke.