Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

The Toes

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 05:33 AM
JayhawKen
Knocking off the rust

Bikes: LeMond Tourmalet, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Toes

I see many people wear 2 pair of socks below 35,but I don't want to sink more money into another pair of cycling shoes just to be able to do that. Curious how well full length insulated booties + wool socks will do. Shoes are Sidi Genius 5.

With 1 pair of wool cycling socks and the insulated booties - how low before the toes become an issue?
Old 09-15-07, 12:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'd refer you to the What Works For Me link on my website where I discuss cold feet, and what works for me ... but my website is experiencing technical difficulties at the moment, which I hope to have resolved before the end of the day.

But in answer to your question, 1 pair of wool socks (long ones are warmer than short ones) and insulated booties should take you down to about -5C or so.
Old 09-15-07, 10:19 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JayhawKen
I see many people wear 2 pair of socks below 35,but I don't want to sink more money into another pair of cycling shoes just to be able to do that. Curious how well full length insulated booties + wool socks will do. Shoes are Sidi Genius 5.

With 1 pair of wool cycling socks and the insulated booties - how low before the toes become an issue?
This varies from person to person and how thick of single wool sock you can get on without the shoe fitting too snug. In the cold it is more important for blood to circulate easily. Since your shoes are probably sized for warm weather I'm going to guess that you will only be able to wear one pair of thin wool socks and booties over the shoe.

Some people can be good with this down to 35 degrees for and hour or so but others would not be able to ride in this combo at much below 40-45 degree F for much over an hour.

The feet are the hardest thing to keep warm for most people. This is mainly due to the constant loss of bloodflow in the bottom of the foot while pedaling.

Booties generally work to some degree as long as its above feezing and the ride is not much over an hour.

This is a topic that has extensive discussion on some other threads and you need to be aware that for most cold weather cyclist's it is difficult to keep feet warm below 40 degrees F for any significant length of time without more significant measures. Do a search and read as much about this as you can.
Old 09-16-07, 08:10 AM
Ritehsedad
Tail End Charlie

Bikes: Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the winter I'll be on my mtb with platforms and hiking shoes. I have light wool socks and heavy wool socks (I only wear 1 pair). When it gets below 25F I put on uninsulated rubber booties.
Old 09-16-07, 08:56 AM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.handwarmers.com/
Old 09-16-07, 10:35 AM
JayhawKen
Knocking off the rust

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eureka! Some searching around BF and it sounds like a lot of people use these. Thanks jwbnyc.

Last winter the 2 problem areas were toes and ears. I think a full balaclava will solve the ears.

Looking forward to see if this stuff works in a couple months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Warm Toes at Last.jpg (4.7 KB, 135 views)
Old 09-16-07, 11:44 AM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Traditional cycling shoes don't work well below freezing but you should be able to do pretty well above freezing with them. There are a couple winter cycling shoe offerings like Lake winter cycling shoes/boots, but even these are only good down to about 20F if you ask me.

A lot below that and it's platform pedals and HUGE insulated hiking boots for me. A BIG toe box is key to keeping toes warm. Adding something like toe warmers to an already tight toe box is a recipe for disaster. This is why most cycling shoes don't cut it in the winter, you need a big toe box and most cycling shoes have just the opposite. In fact most cycling shoes are designed to be worn in hot weather and are well venitilated, again not good for winter.
Old 09-16-07, 01:01 PM
D0ugB
Amateur stunt driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Portis
Traditional cycling shoes don't work well below freezing but you should be able to do pretty well above freezing with them. There are a couple winter cycling shoe offerings like Lake winter cycling shoes/boots, but even these are only good down to about 20F if you ask me.
Really you have to experience it for your self. I don't have a problem going to 20F in traditional cycling shoes with neoprene booties(1-2 hour ride) below 20ish I typically throw some warmers inside the the bootie. YMMV everyone is different in their response to the cold. That is the only absolute
Old 09-16-07, 01:34 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.lakecycling.com/ProductIn...roductid=MX265
Old 09-16-07, 10:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

OK, finally ... here's my "What Works For Me" link:

https://www.machka.net/whatworks/whatworks.htm
Old 09-17-07, 06:38 AM
feethanddooth
this one's optimistic...

Bikes: cannondale r400 2006 kona smoke 2005 scott cr1 team

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Machka;5281131]OK, finally ... here's my "What Works For Me" link:

https://www.machka.net/whatworks/whatworks.htm[/QUOTE

i think your site is great btw. thanks for letting us in on it!

for me, i have a cold toes issue as my feet are cold all the time whether on cycling or not. i live in nj and though in can get cold it isnt anything severe.

i have LG toe covers and then the PI amfib booties. when the tems dip below 10F i usually will throw the toe covers on underneath the booties to add another layer.

as far as socks i think this where i can improve. i use mainly synthetic fibers that look like wool but arent. going to pick up some wool next pay day though in prep for winter.

keep your toes warm everyone!
Old 09-18-07, 07:13 PM
JayhawKen
Knocking off the rust

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Machka, I've tried a couple times this morning and tonight - can't get your site to open.

I'll keep trying - thanks for the link.
Old 09-18-07, 07:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by JayhawKen
Machka, I've tried a couple times this morning and tonight - can't get your site to open.

I'll keep trying - thanks for the link.
I know ... I'm sorry. The Technical Services people of my hosting site are working hard to rectify the situation but they haven't been successful yet. It did come up for a day or so, but it is back down again. Hopefully later today or tomorrow.