Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

CyclAmi TPU; any experience?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 12:51 PM
Acadianbob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

Thinking about TPU tubes. I like the notion of the metal stem on the CyclAmi brand.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Feedback appreciated.

Also, I use CO2 cartridges on rides. Are they compatible with TPU tubes?

What about installation? Some say extreme care is needed. Others say that the thinner, slicker tube material makes installation easier. I'm concerned as mounting GP5Ks on my HED rims can be a real struggle.
Old 03-17-24, 03:15 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 747 Posts
I had never heard of this brand until now but checked some of the reviews on the Bezos site and lots of unhappy customers. (yeah, I know their reviews aren't always trustworthy but there are enough with the same complaint) Amazon.com: Customer reviews: CYCLAMI Ultralight 700C Bike Inner Tube 38g TPU Road Bicycle Tire 28'' 700 x 18 23 25 28 30 32C Metal Valve Length Presta 60mm Super Light for Adult (Include 2 PCS Bike Tube Patch Repair Kit) Here's a little blurb I found on the safety of using with CO2. "CO2 Compatibility:
  • TPU tubes are generally compatible with CO2 inflators for emergency inflation.
  • However, there are some caveats:
    • Temperature Sensitivity: TPU tubes can be sensitive to extreme cold caused by the thermodynamic shift as CO2 changes from liquid to gas.
    • Not All TPU Tubes Are Equal: Not all TPU tubes work well with CO2 inflators. Some may not withstand the temperature change during inflation.
    • Valve Considerations: The valve design and material can affect compatibility. Some TPU tubes have brittle valves, which may not handle CO2 well"
Old 03-17-24, 03:41 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I’m currently running these exact tubes. Overall I like them. I had no problem installing them. I don’t use tire levers to install, just my hands. Definitely less fragile than latex. I run them at 140 psi, and cannot fathom how they are “exploding” on people (although I don’t hold a high opinion of most home mechanics). Price is pretty good. The tube is wrapped with a band made from the tube material so you can play around and see how tough it really is. They hold air fine—much better than latex.

My only issues is that the valves—which aren’t replaceable—can stick, even after tapping them to clear them. I’ve never had this problem with any other Presta tube.

Last edited by smd4; 03-17-24 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-17-24, 04:00 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
I’m using the 36g RideNow tpu tubes on 2 sets of wheels. No installation issues, I do not find them to be particularly fragile. Plastic valve stems are fine.
Old 03-17-24, 08:13 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Running Cyclami tpus on 3 bikes no issues, Had a valve separate at the tube on a Ridenow, replaced it with a Cyclami.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 03-18-24, 08:24 AM
NVFlinch 

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
Both Cyclami and RIdeNow tubes - work great, less calories.
Old 03-18-24, 11:48 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
While I haven't used Cyclami tubes, I have used CO2 cartridges on TPU tubes on several occasions. There is no issues. It gets you home perfectly fine. Although CO2 does leak out of the TPU tubes faster than butyl tubes. So when you get home you should let the CO2 out of the tire and pump it back up with your regular pump.

Yes TPU tubes are more difficult to install. You have to take care not to pinch it between the tire and the rim. When you get to the last section, you need to pump up the tube slightly, and then push the tire and tube hard towards to other side while you try to work the bead over the rim. On removal the TPU tube tends to cling to the tire. If you just jam the lever in there you will most likely catch the TPU tube. You need to gingerly pry only the tire without catching the tube. Pry it a few times until the tube stops clinging.
Old 03-20-24, 03:28 AM
papaki72

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport Sora (now), Whistle Modod Flatbar (retired)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
I am using Baent TPU tubes (yet another AliExpress brand). They work great, and they come with metal threaded valves and a nice metal cap (mine are red). To make it easier to slide into the tire, I powder with some talcum powder the inner of the tire. I put some air in them to get to a manageable shape and sit on the inside of the tire rather than just shoving them in right away. No installation failures and no leaks. I buy them in bulk and I have never patched any of them. After puncture I just replace them.
Likes For papaki72: