Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Maine

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Greetings from Maine

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 03:50 PM
alanapost

Bikes: motobecane grand jubilee 1984

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from Maine

Hello I am introducing myself as suggested in the sign-up email!

I'm Alana, I do design/tech stuff at a nonprofit, and I got a 1983 Motobecane Grand Jubilee a few days ago just in time for the weather to get awful.

Hoping to get restoration advice, and generally pick up some knowledge, since I think it could be a really great hobby to offset my computer addiction!

Maine seems to have a pretty great biking community. Lots of people with a wide range of interests! I'm lucky to live in Portland, where I can continue my carless life.

Ok I guess that's it!
Old 11-22-07, 04:20 PM
bsdsys_x86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, and welcome! Glad to see your a car-free kinda guy. I just ditched my car two weeks ago and do not regret it. When I'm in Chicago I plan on taking an Amtrak trip up your way just to see the area, I've never been up there even though the North is my favorite part of the country. I've seen pictures and know a guy up there in the Portland area and he says it's beautiful. Can't wait to take a trip up there, hope not too long after I get to Chicago I can. Enjoy.
Old 11-22-07, 07:31 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello Alana, we are waiting for you to show up in the Classic & Vintage forum with photos of the Motobecane!

Ha ha! We will get you over that computer addiction in a hurry and replace it with one that's far more enjoyable not to mention healthier .

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Old 11-22-07, 08:41 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
There's a somewhat lower zoot Moto on my repair stand about an hour and a half northwest of you in Somerset county. Do check in on the C&V forum where such things are both understood and admired.
Are you planning to ride the Trek Across Maine in June?

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-22-07, 08:57 PM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Alana -

I'm originally from ME, but being in the Navy, move all over now. I'm off to CO in about two weeks.

I've done a couple of the Bike Maine rides; worth checking them out at www.bikemaine.org.

Welcome to bikeforums... come join us in Foo for some, well, foo.
Old 11-22-07, 09:03 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12196 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Hi,
and welcome. You could take it to Back Bay Bike and have them give it a tuneup.
You will also need a helmet.

https://www.backbaybicycle.com/
Old 11-23-07, 10:29 AM
Ritehsedad
Tail End Charlie

Bikes: Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Alana,

Welcome to BF from another Mainer (I'm in York). As you've probably already found out, there is plenty of good riding in and around Portland.

Don't let the weather discourage you, I commute year around (mtb in the winter, road bike in summer). The big concerns for me this time of year are the road conditions (mostly for the cars, not me) and extreme cold. I usually don't ride below 10F, especially if its windy.
Old 11-23-07, 10:34 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12196 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritehsedad
Hi Alana,

Welcome to BF from another Mainer (I'm in York). As you've probably already found out, there is plenty of good riding in and around Portland.
Good point. Two of my favorites are The Lighthouse Loop and one I made called the Cumberland Fair Loop.

Go to Rte 88 in Falmouth, left onto Tuttle Rd, left onto Blackstrap Rd which takes you back to Portland.

https://www.amazon.com/25-Bicycle-Tou.../dp/0881504106
Old 11-26-07, 12:44 PM
alanapost

Bikes: motobecane grand jubilee 1984

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spent a good amount of time at Back Bay investing in a lock and blinking light (also gave in and replaced the moto's clips with platform-- city riding with clips was just too big an adjustment for me). I asked about weatherproofing and such and got really great help. I was surprised to learn that my bike has french threads since it's a later model. Always fascinating what you can pick up completely by accident!

Most of my Maine biking was as a kid in rural Maine (Edinburgh). Earliest memories are sitting in the baby seat on the back of my mom's Raleigh during her daily 10-mile ride along the Penobscot river. I'd look up with my eyes unfocused and the pattern of sunlight through the trees and reflection of light on the water to my left was unbelievable. She said that I'd be completely quiet the entire time, just wonder-struck.

I hope to do some touring once I build up my endurance. Also, even though it's getting cold, I get to and from places faster than I did by walking, so in a way it's preferable (even though my face feels like it's freezing off, haha)
Old 11-27-07, 03:18 PM
powerhouse

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello, Alana. Welcome to Bikeforums!

I'm a Mainer, too, and currently living in Portland. This area is good for bicycling, although there are places all over the state which can be just as encouraging. i.e. Kennebec River Rail Trail, Whistle-Stop trail, Mount Desert Island, etc. I wish you good luck and good riding.