Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Tires tires tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 03:41 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tires tires tires

Hello all!

You know, I had to work the first half of the day today and then I thought it would be a brilliant idea to go for a bike ride even with the wind blowing at a kizzlion miles an hour. Every time I would drive by, the flags would be dancing all over the place. Still a brilliant idea I thought.

As you know, I commute to work most days and go through Camden. Camden is like a glass capital of the world. I actually think there is no glass in windows there because its all broken and on the roads. I ran Gatorskin tires and would get pissed because of the flats. I almost could gurentee a flat on my commuter bike when it would be wet out. Would piss me off. I remember buying a new gatorskin tire, rode with it for a week and when cleaning the tire out (I do this weekly) to get the glass out, I noticed a big tear in the damn new tire. Piss.

So I went to my fav bike shop and talked with the head mechanic friend and he told me to get Marathon Supreme Tires (MST). So I ordered one. They are nice looking and a bitcchh to put on. You actually have to use a strap as a third hand. No kidding! Anyway, I have ben using those for three or four months and no flats. But you can feel the heaviness and rolling resistence when you ride. On a commuter, you get used to it.

Sooo.... last Sunday was the flat from he11 week. I brought my road bike in for the spring check up and the mechanic told me afterwards that it flatted out. Well piss. So he fixed it and such, I brought it home, and on Sunday morning, loaded it in the truck for a ride, got the start and it was soft again. I could not find the hole at all or the glass or anything. I was pissed. It seemed like I replaced the tire twice on the road bike last year. So I had the brilliant idea of ordering another MST.

Got it the other day, put it on and all is well.

Until todays ride. Man, I am not sure if it was the wind or my body, or what I ate or the tire but the riding seemed really tough. Only a 22 mile flat ride on a course I have done a billion times and love. It was a hell of a lot of work.

Not sure if I should stick with the MST or go back to the Gatorskins or what. Tired of replacing tires and/or fixing flats, especially on rode rides but not sure if the rolling resistance is worth it or not. I like the peace of mind and for the commuter bike it is worth it but for my road bike, I am not sure.
Old 03-28-13, 04:16 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I used to use Mr Toughies in high school. I don't remember EVER getting a flat. Would that work for you?
Old 03-28-13, 04:28 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Flats clearly are location, location, location. Last winter all I did was get flats. This winter I had none. What I have done on my all purpose bike is have two sets of wheels. One has those flat resistance tires that are so dang hard to get on and off. I swap wheels depending on conditions. It sure makes life easier. But if I did it with all my bikes it sure could get expensive.
Old 03-28-13, 04:36 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
I used to use Mr Toughies in high school. I don't remember EVER getting a flat. Would that work for you?
+1 on Mr. Tuffy, except I used them right out of college. After you get a couple flats in a row, you're probably willing to try anything.
Old 03-28-13, 04:44 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
To some extent yes. Used another product like them but they do not protect against the sidewalls.
Old 03-28-13, 04:57 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Plus
Continental "Plus" series; Super Sport Plus, Top Contact Plus, Country Plus (all have a puncture layer similar to the Marathon Plus)

Slightly less weighty, there's the
Panaracer T-Serv Messenger and the RiBMo
or Soma Everwear which just has a beefy 5mm outer.
Old 03-28-13, 05:01 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
+1 on Mr. Tuffy, except I used them right out of college. After you get a couple flats in a row, you're probably willing to try anything.
Did you have them in during the recent fiasco you were having?
Old 03-28-13, 05:24 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The MST must be like the Armadillos I used to ride. No flats for 5000 miles but the thing felt like a tank. They were so stiff and heavy they would stand up in the center of the room by themselves.

I was in better shape so the slow feel never left me feeling like I couldn't keep up with others. Great training tire for those lonely mtn roads.

After I fell out of form I felt I needed a faster tire to get some speed. If I could get my fat butt back into shape, I'd prolly go back only cause it's a better workout and makes it easier for Gina to keep up.

If I rode with several others, I'd want a faster tire. If commuting, I would care if it was a slow roller or fast tire. I'm pretty good at managing my own MO when riding.

But if I did want a faster tire, honestly, this real funny cause I always had sucky luck with race tires but the GP4000's have been pretty good. I sued to use GP2000's years ago and they sucked. The 4000 must be a far better design. Even at my ****** weight they do well as far as flat protection.

I've had terrible luck with gatorskins and far better luck with GP4000s. I've been real happy with the tires at the probikekit prices of $36 each. No, I don't work for them, just happy with the results and tired of paying $75 at the LBS.

Not sure how many miles I'll get out of them. They table top but the indicator are still there. Since I started using the GP4000s a year ago, I've only had one or two flats.

Maybe try a GP4000 then compare it to the gatoskin protection.

I tried 25 and 23 gatorskins with no luck at all. Flat on the first freakin' ride, new tire small pebble of glass!

GP4000s $37 700x23.........700X25 $10 more.

https://www.probikekit.com/us/tyres-t...road-tyre.html

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 03-28-13 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 05:24 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my commuter bike, I use Mr. Tuffys along with Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires. These have been bomb proof with glass, staples and other nasty things. I hope I didn't just jinx it....
Old 03-28-13, 05:27 PM
iforgotmename

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't find Marathon Supremes to be heavy or flat prone. Do you ride in the traffic lane or closer to the gutter/ bike lane? Lane position helps one avoid debris as most of it accumulates on the edges.

Something to consider.
Old 03-28-13, 05:39 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
I didn't find Marathon Supremes to be heavy or flat prone. Do you ride in the traffic lane or closer to the gutter/ bike lane? Lane position helps one avoid debris as most of it accumulates on the edges.

Something to consider.
I think you miss read my post. I love the MST on my commuter and hope to like them on my touring bike but I do notice the weight and the rolling resistance, especially since I mounted them on my road bike. They are not at all prone to flats. They are bomb@ss tires.
Old 03-28-13, 05:50 PM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I think you miss read my post. I love the MST on my commuter and hope to like them on my touring bike but I do notice the weight and the rolling resistance, especially since I mounted them on my road bike. They are not at all prone to flats. They are bomb@ss tires.
I did misunderstand about the flats. If you reference Schwalbe and Conti the MS comes in at 310 grams for a 700x 28 and the Gator is 360 grams for a 700 x 28. Maybe it is just a pressure issue with the 'feel".

What psi do you run the Supremes at compared to the psi of the gators?
Old 03-28-13, 05:51 PM
iforgotmename

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not trying to be a pain...just trying to help BTW https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...rathon_supreme https://www.conti-online.com/generato...orskin_en.html
Old 03-28-13, 05:55 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
I did misunderstand about the flats. If you reference Schwalbe and Conti the MS comes in at 310 grams for a 700x 28 and the Gator is 360 grams for a 700 x 28. Maybe it is just a pressure issue with the 'feel".

What psi do you run the Supremes at compared to the psi of the gators?
Interesting. When I pick both of them up, the gator is so much lighter by feel. Interesting.

Maybe it is the rolling resistance.
Old 03-30-13, 08:38 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know if the Marathons come in a kevlar bead as well as a wire bead but if so, you might try them with a kevlar bead when you replace them. Kevlar bead tires mount much easier than wire bead. Rain causes all sorts of particles to stick to the tire and flats are much more common in rainy conditions. No question about that. Gatorskins are my go to tire for flat resistance but they don't hold a candle to the Marathon Plus or other serious tires like Armadillos. I don't know much about the serious flat proof tires but there's a real price to pay, as you know, when you get more and more flat proof. I watch the road carefully and if I think I've ridden over trash/glass I stop and do a quick brush-off with my hand. Better to do that 20 times for 30sec than a single change of tire.
Old 03-30-13, 10:52 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Continental SPORTContact, pre-slimed tubes, last flat 2006. But, then again, I don't ride through Camden lol
Old 03-31-13, 12:45 PM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Tubelsss Hutchenson Intensives with 2 oz of sealant in each tire. These things are bomb proof with the sealant and very easy rolling. Don't need to switch rims, just get stans tape and stems and put them on and fill them with sealant. Can ride them at lower pressure (80-85PSI) and i find they js6t roll over things without punctures and the dealamt catches the rest. 2000 miles so far and no flats.
Old 04-01-13, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Michelin Krylons. Not the lightest road tires in the world, but pretty tough.
Old 04-01-13, 11:01 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Did the Michelin Pro4 endurance replace the krylions? They reworked their model line up and I can't tell what's what anymore... Pro2 were good tires, Pro3 were frail so i started using GP4000s which have been easily cut so I'm thinking of going back to Pro4. I'm getting sick of replacing tires after 500 miles, even if they are only $40 each.

I might start sticking something sturdy on the back and leaving the GP4000s or something similar up front. I like the way they ride when they're able to retain air.
Old 04-01-13, 11:03 AM
solrebel

Bikes: 2012 All City Mr. Pink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meet my buddy, Jack Brown.
https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/t100-b.htm

Also, his buddy, Ruffy Tuffy.
https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/t104.htm

Seriously though, used to get flats what seemed like every other week on my Vittorias. Got old real quick. Roads are pretty bad in my part of town, but after slapping the Jack Browns on, I haven't had a single issue. Also, ridiculously fast if you like that sort of thing.
Old 04-01-13, 04:49 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Michelin Krylons. Not the lightest road tires in the world, but pretty tough.
How would you rate it Indy versus gatorskins and marathon supremes?
Old 04-01-13, 04:51 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Did the Michelin Pro4 endurance replace the krylions? They reworked their model line up and I can't tell what's what anymore... Pro2 were good tires, Pro3 were frail so i started using GP4000s which have been easily cut so I'm thinking of going back to Pro4. I'm getting sick of replacing tires after 500 miles, even if they are only $40 each.

I might start sticking something sturdy on the back and leaving the GP4000s or something similar up front. I like the way they ride when they're able to retain air.
This is why I went with the marathon supreme tire for the back of my commuter and now also for the road bike. For the road bike, I can feel the drag but perhaps it means more of a workout. Went in some rough areas with that tire today and yesterday and it was solid.