Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Water off again on Diablo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 08:35 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Water off again on Diablo?

No water to be had at the Jx yesterday afternoon. New sign encouraging conservation, but nothing coming out of the tap. The water just down the way at the Ranger house has plastic all over it too. Anyone finding water available on the mountain? I hope this is not a sign of things to come for summer. We really didn't get much rain at all this year and if they are already having supply issues in March, it does not bode well for the continuous 90 degree days in summer.
Old 03-20-14, 10:04 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts

Summit tap was working on the 8th, but I'm not sure that'll last long.
Of course there's the snack shop also at the Summit where you can buy bottled water.
Plan ahead Diablo patrons.
Old 03-20-14, 10:52 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i talked to rangers the other day. water off, except at summit, indefinitely.
Old 03-20-14, 02:12 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Too bad, water at the ranger station was a life saver on a 100+ degree day.
Old 03-20-14, 04:16 PM
hueyhoolihan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
they might as well close the park. how do they expect any multi-hour sporting activity without water in an arid state park. it's not as if people that use the park for sporting activities are WASTING water. we are DRINKING it, and for good reason.

i wonder if all regional parks have the water turned off? the cynic in me is catching a whiff of potitical BS somewhere...
Old 03-20-14, 04:20 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
the cynic in me is catching a whiff of potitical BS somewhere...

No... there really isn't any water to give:

With perhaps the worst drought that California has ever seen Mount Diablo is suffering from a severe water shortage. Most of the water in the park is produced through a series of springs that is fed to various water tanks, treated, tested and then is ready for the public to use. However, with the lack of rain the springs on the mountain have been reduced to a trickle.

In order to meet the parks’ basic water needs the park has been forced to take a number of drastic measures. Most of the park’s permanent flushing restrooms have been closed and porta-potties have been rented. The showers and water faucets in the campground have been shut-off. Many of the water faucets within the park have been shut-off.

In order to avoid dehydration please bring plenty of water to drink.
Old 03-20-14, 07:45 PM
hueyhoolihan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
maybe the water at the top that is "available" at the summit is in fact "available for a price" (i.e. for sale). if so, that would explain a bit of it. i assumed that the water fountain was turned on up there and couldn't imagine why it wasn't on everywhere within the park.
Old 03-21-14, 03:27 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Guess we all have to HTFU and go up the top every time we ride it, haha! Either that or go to Arbolado park in WC, or the elementary school on Diablo Rd in Danville.

BTW, does anyone know if you can get water at Athenian? I poked around there once a long time ago and didn't see any visible water fountains. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

BBTW (is that right, like PPS? ), I don't think that sign was there when I rode up that day (I assume that's the Jx water spigot?). Maybe someone tore it off in frustration.

Last edited by cthenn; 03-21-14 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-21-14, 03:31 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
they might as well close the park. how do they expect any multi-hour sporting activity without water in an arid state park. it's not as if people that use the park for sporting activities are WASTING water. we are DRINKING it, and for good reason.

i wonder if all regional parks have the water turned off? the cynic in me is catching a whiff of potitical BS somewhere...

I doubt it. That park gets so damn dry in summer, they really need all they can get in Winter. With 2 back to back terribly dry years, I don't doubt they are having a big time water shortage. Just carry that extra bottle on warm days, or refill at available spots down below (or make it to the top!). It's not that big a deal to me, just a bit inconvenient to go to the park in WC or the school in Danville. If they turn off the water at the summit, that could be a problem for hikers (like me) who do the whole thing from bottom to top...I need that refill at the top!
Old 03-21-14, 03:54 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by cthenn
BBTW (is that right, like PPS? ), I don't think that sign was there when I rode up that day (I assume that's the Jx water spigot?).

That's the Junction water fountain at about 10am on March 8... my last bike ride for a long time
Old 03-21-14, 04:01 PM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May be we should yield to God Diablo and each haul a gallon of water to the top of the mountain and then pour it into one of Scott's favored creeks.
Old 03-21-14, 09:10 PM
hueyhoolihan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
some enterprising person could drive up to the JCT on weekends with a couple of 10 gallon tanks and pass it out, or be a real butt and make us pay a small premium for it.

BTW, there is a garden hose outside the church on the north side of Mt. Diablo just before the shortcut through the golf course on the way to the hole-in-the-wall, but don't say you heard it from me.