Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repair of 90's Rapidfire shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 08:33 AM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Hello Everyone,
I am a long time volunteer at a local non-profit that repairs and gives away bikes. We receive quite a few 90's era ATB's with Shimano Rapidfire shifters that are gummed up and do not operate. I am looking for suggestions of what solution(s) to soak the shifters in (off the bike) that will dissolve the hardened beeswax -like old Shimano grease. So far I have been pretty successful soaking them for about 2 days in gasoline but I am not crazy about the residue left (or flammability). I have heard of using mineral spirits, acetone, brake fluid, etc... I would like to use something safe and if possible non harsh chemicals, I am open to any and all suggestions to solve this problem ! Thanks in advance.
Likes For jacksbike:
Old 04-08-24, 09:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6225 Post(s)
Liked 4,228 Times in 2,372 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksbike
Hello Everyone,
I am a long time volunteer at a local non-profit that repairs and gives away bikes. We receive quite a few 90's era ATB's with Shimano Rapidfire shifters that are gummed up and do not operate. I am looking for suggestions of what solution(s) to soak the shifters in (off the bike) that will dissolve the hardened beeswax -like old Shimano grease. So far I have been pretty successful soaking them for about 2 days in gasoline but I am not crazy about the residue left (or flammability). I have heard of using mineral spirits, acetone, brake fluid, etc... I would like to use something safe and if possible non harsh chemicals, I am open to any and all suggestions to solve this problem ! Thanks in advance.
Soaking the whole shifter isn't the way to fix the problem. You need a more targeted approach. The problem is that the pawl that moves a gear forward tends to get sticky. Spraying lubricant into the shifter housing may fix the problem but if you take the cover off the shifter you should be able to see the pawl that is the problem. Here's a screen short from a YouTube video that shows where the pawl is

Direct lubrication to the pin that the pawl is on and make sure it can move back and forth freely. Light oil will do to lubricate it.

Here's the
I got the screenshot from.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-08-24, 09:36 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 2,990 Times in 1,502 Posts
rapidfires/

if above video isn't fixing the issue you can further dismantle the unit.there are 3 spring attachment devises that all need to line up on reassembly.when apart you can physically remove the pawl off the shaft & thoroughly clean the gunk off.you may get lucky by using a fast drying spray solvent like carb gumout with the precise nozzle but there may still be gunk within.my '94 stx shifters have needed 3 cleanings-the gunk is very stubborn at times.
Old 04-08-24, 09:38 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Soaking the whole shifter isn't the way to fix the problem. You need a more targeted approach. The problem is that the pawl that moves a gear forward tends to get sticky. Spraying lubricant into the shifter housing may fix the problem but if you take the cover off the shifter you should be able to see the pawl that is the problem.
I hate those shifters. The problem that I come across is that there are too many different versions of those shifters, and not all of them make it easy to take the cover off those pawls. If you can get the cover off great! But if not, flooding the mechanism while shifting it back and forth is the only way to fix them. I hate to say it, but a few times I've had to tell customers to head to a shop for a new one.
Old 04-08-24, 01:26 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Typically I start by removing any covers that can be removed, spray in some Clean-Streak, isopropyl alcohol, or other degreaser into the shifter, find the stuck pawls and move them back and forth till they start working properly, use an air gun to spray out the degreaser and bits of old grease, then relubricate with Tri-Flow or Dri-Slide. Gets most shifters working fine again.

There are a few models that might not be worth the time, either because the above method hasn't had a great success rate on them, like 7 speed Deore LX M560, and any of the early 90's models that have two tiny finger-like pawls right next to each other, or because they work so poorly even when they aren't gummed up, such as Acera X ST-M290 or Nexave ST-T300.
Old 04-08-24, 06:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 2,061 Posts
​​​​​​https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...saAiesEALw_wcB
Old 04-08-24, 09:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,891 Times in 2,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowana
Typically I start by removing any covers that can be removed, spray in some Clean-Streak, isopropyl alcohol, or other degreaser into the shifter, find the stuck pawls and move them back and forth till they start working properly, use an air gun to spray out the degreaser and bits of old grease, then relubricate with Tri-Flow or Dri-Slide. Gets most shifters working fine again.

There are a few models that might not be worth the time, either because the above method hasn't had a great success rate on them, like 7 speed Deore LX M560, and any of the early 90's models that have two tiny finger-like pawls right next to each other, or because they work so poorly even when they aren't gummed up, such as Acera X ST-M290 or Nexave ST-T300.

I do much the same cleaning, sometimes working the pawls with a pick to help the dissolving of the gummy grease in the pivot. Where i differ is in the lube after free pawl movement. I like oils with a swipe of grease on top after working in the thin then thick oils. Andy
Old 04-09-24, 08:55 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 3,809 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
@RCMoeur has had good success with the ultrasonic method, also for donor bikes, he made a post or thread about it.
Old 04-09-24, 09:15 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 846 Posts
Thanks for the tag.

My experience has been that WD-40 and Clean Streak are only temporary fixes. If you really want to get those types of shifters working again, here is the method I use for rather good success:https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...l#post23196306
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-09-24, 11:01 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 399 Posts
All good advice above. One thing I’ll sometimes do before degreaser and lubricant is to flush the shifter with boiling water. This can work wonders for loosening up that hardened grease.
Old 04-09-24, 11:19 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 432 Posts
Ditto all the above. Dental picks are a big help--my dentist gives me his old ones when I ask. And I'll add, definitely stay away from the gasoline!

And kudos for volunteering at the nonprofit. Keep up the great work. It's how I enjoy spending a good part of my time. Freeing up stuck shifters is a big part of the work, and the reason many of them get donated.
Old 04-10-24, 03:23 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 195 Posts
Our tried and true method is to remove the covers, saturate the mechanisms with PB Blaster, working the shifter and pawls for a few minutes. Finally follow up with a squirt or two of the 3-IN-One lightweight penetrating oil. Work the shifter again and magic. This stuff is gold for these shifters.

Available at Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-IN-ONE...0015/300719551

Last edited by JoeTBM; 04-12-24 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-10-24, 03:24 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 195 Posts
Hello Everyone,
Thanks for what you do, welcome to the club.

Old 04-11-24, 06:18 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I use "Tyme" for some of my work (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). To be honest, I haven't tried it on plastic, but my hunch is that it would be okay.