Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Street price estimate on a Domane 2.0?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 12:16 PM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone got a street price estimate on the Domane 2.0? Thinking about getting one to commute to work, but it's a 14 mile ride. Thinking about adding a Bionx RR system but nobody seems to sell the M models, therefor the expensive L models at $1500 are most common (the PL250 is not rear rack battery mount), and M models are usually priced just about as high (low supply?). The boost would be useful early in the season, and for when I want to get to work faster. 14 miles is a bit much for me; I was doing 7 daily a couple years back in 45 minutes, and I'm not doing over a 1hr ride to work (I drive it in 15-20 minutes, but I'll light rail it in 45-50).

Domane looks like a really nice bike. I'd have to add some lighter wheels (a friend is suggesting some 1350g wheels), the goal this time around is to be able to commute a bigger distance in a shorter time. Don't think I can do Domane + Bionx in under $3000 though
Old 04-28-13, 01:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Domane + Bionx
? pick one.. get a E bike Or a road bike ..

you might be able to rig up a electric pusher trailer ..

though in trucking, when the trailer pushes , the truck ends up in a ditch ..

MSRP: on the 2.0 is $1,429.99, call the dealer you will buy from .
Trek Has a price schedule for dealers .. that selling price is lower than MSRP.
they will quote you that price.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-28-13 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-28-13, 03:11 PM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nod. I'm weighing options... the lighter bike, with some Rev22s, should let me make it in under an hour. It's less hilly than the 7 mile commute I was doing before, and chucking a third of the weight off the wheels and getting a better geometry (I HATE the geometry on my Tachyon, a lot of energy goes into injuring me instead of driving the bike) has obvious benefits. I need to average 15mph. It'll be a while before I have that kind of stamina but give me a few weeks.

It's about $1300-ish here, $1750 for the 2.3 with better components but I have no way to assess if that's worth $450 or 40% more base for me. I want this in under $2000, and the 2.0 + wheels + M540L pedals seems to come just under. I know I can't do it on the Tachyon, don't estimate more than a 15% gain (at a stretch) from having a better geometry and lighter bike, so I'm essentially relying on not having the commute route from hell to contend with. I may have to put some real effort into proper technique this time around; I've always had a pedal-coast-pedal-coast type cycle, instead of constant-cadence. That will probably beat the bike + route changes combined.

It's so hard to draw up a decision matrix when you don't understand all parts of the decision. Part of me wants to get the 2.3 just so I can add the experience to my body of knowledge and make improved assessments later. Getting a more advanced road bike with a completely different geometry and some shiny new stuff (pivoting seat post!) supplies quite a lot of that as-is.

EDIT: here we go. Here's what I used to bike in 45 min:

https://www.mapmyride.com/workout/268124768

And my new commute is twice as long, but is a downhill ride:

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/199810386

The return commute is also a downhill ride:

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/199812396

I'm lazy.

Last edited by bluefoxicy; 04-28-13 at 04:50 PM.