Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Heaviest tire in the world.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Heaviest tire in the world.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 07:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
hodag, welcome. Stick around. Don't let the snippiness put you off.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-30-13, 08:00 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Hmm, OP has Country PLUS, I have Country RIDEs and I like them OK (and I have Mr Tuffys in there too). But I think I'm not very sensitive to light/heavy wheels.

Is the PLUS just a RIDE with extra flat protection?
[h=1]Plus technology[/h]
Belting Tires - for every application!

Puncture protection from highly elastic specialty rubber is used between the tread and the carcass. Nearly impenetrable, this puncture protection fends off all types of foreign objects. Even a tack cannot get through. The carcass is effectively protected from damage. Tires with PlusBreaker can now be found in almost every segment: Be it racing bikes, Cyclocross or City/Trekking bikes, PlusBreaker guarantees maximum safety, without negatively impacting the riding properties of the tire.

The consistency of the breaker was adjusted so that the tires do not feel wobbly when taking curves. PlusBreaker is puncture protection through and through. Note: please check the recommended tire pressure weekly using a manometer. Plus tires are built very rigidly, making it hard to feel tire pressure. Tires used with too little tire pressure have higher rolling resistance and also wear faster.

Old 09-30-13, 08:29 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Interesting. So basically OP & I have the same tires, but OP's Mr. Tuffy liners are built-in and I can transfer mine from tire to tire?
Old 09-30-13, 09:17 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Interesting. So basically OP & I have the same tires, but OP's Mr. Tuffy liners are built-in and I can transfer mine from tire to tire?
and the breaker bead is on the outside of the casing, where it can protect it. And it can't interfere with mounting the tire, nor can it rub a hole in the inner tube. And it's thicker. Other than that, yes.
Old 10-01-13, 04:10 AM
GodsBassist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
But you've heard of "hyperbole", right?
It's like the superbowl, but in Europe?
Old 10-01-13, 05:55 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GodsBassist
It's like the superbowl, but in Europe?
Bingo!
Old 10-01-13, 06:41 AM
hodag

Bikes: Madone 5.2, Cannondale F400 & CAADX, Salsa El Mariachi 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I did a face palm when I had to look it up.
On a related note, I pumped the tires up to 70, was at 65, seem to ride faster. Still heavy pigs but I guess I will keep them. Fixing flats on my way into work is tedious.
Old 10-01-13, 08:07 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hodag
Yes, I did a face palm when I had to look it up.
On a related note, I pumped the tires up to 70, was at 65, seem to ride faster. Still heavy pigs but I guess I will keep them. Fixing flats on my way into work is tedious.
There are charts for air pressure for different weight riders/tires. These are good starting points, but it pays to play a little with the pressure (move it 10 PSI higher/lower and see how it rides)to see what works well for you.
Old 10-01-13, 09:00 AM
hodag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm....
Charts you say?
I just went with what the sidewall said. The 5psi change to the 70max recommended did help. Comfort is not an issue, they're 35mm tires.
Old 10-01-13, 09:00 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It's not the tire weight that makes it so slow. It's the tire composition that causes rolling resistance. If someone could make a heavy tire that was puncture resistant but had low rolling resistance, that would be the holy grail of commuting/touring tires.
Just curious ... are there any hills where you ride? Although I would agree that rolling resistance is a big factor, tire weight is also important when going uphill. We have nothing but hills in western and central NC, and I have no doubt that heavier tires are slower and more difficult to ride uphill. I've got 5 road bikes with tires ranging from 23 - 35 mm (all folders), and the bikes with larger, heavier tires are simply slower going uphill. The larger tires roll nice on flat terrain but will give you a workout when you hit the hills.
Old 10-01-13, 09:12 AM
hodag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a few "hills". I usually seek them out actually. But most of my commute is in a river valley so there are a few ups and downs no matter what. I went from a 35mm cross tire to these and the conti's are almost double the weight. Pumping them harder made a noticable difference. Googling now tryong to find the "Cyclocross Plus" tires in the above advertisement. No luck so far.
Old 10-01-13, 09:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by hodag
Hmmm....
Charts you say?
I just went with what the sidewall said. The 5psi change to the 70max recommended did help. Comfort is not an issue, they're 35mm tires.
This is THE chart. However, I wish it went beyond 37mm. I've been thinking I could try to divine the formula (pressure as a function of width and load) that produced those lines, and generate a more comprehensive chart.
Old 10-01-13, 09:17 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Hold the phone, Here is the original article of which the previously-linked chart is merely a summary. The original also contains a chart of minimum-inflation for mountain bikes.
Old 10-01-13, 09:28 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Just curious ... are there any hills where you ride? Although I would agree that rolling resistance is a big factor, tire weight is also important when going uphill. We have nothing but hills in western and central NC, and I have no doubt that heavier tires are slower and more difficult to ride uphill. I've got 5 road bikes with tires ranging from 23 - 35 mm (all folders), and the bikes with larger, heavier tires are simply slower going uphill. The larger tires roll nice on flat terrain but will give you a workout when you hit the hills.
There are (what I consider) lots of hills where I ride.

When riding up a hill at a constant speed, additional weight of wheels is equivalent to additional weight anywhere on the bike/rider. So I'm not sure how to explain your experiences (except that on flat land, your biggest resistance is probably going to be air resistance and when your climbing hills, you're now in a regime where rolling resistance becomes more important).
Old 10-01-13, 10:50 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
When I was looking at tires (26 x 1.5), thought process went:

Panaracer T-Serv: light, but not the best puncture protection
Schwalbe Marathon: Heavy, but great puncture protection

The Panaracer RiBMo fell right in between the other two offerings, weight wise, and have proved more puncture protective than the T-Servs, but not at the weight penalty of the Marathons.
Old 10-01-13, 11:52 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

This is THE chart. However, I wish it went beyond 37mm. I've been thinking I could try to divine the formula (pressure as a function of width and load) that produced those lines, and generate a more comprehensive chart.
And now I have...
Old 10-01-13, 02:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
Thank you for that thread, RubeRad. I appreciate it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-13, 02:49 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by noglider
Thank you for that thread, RubeRad. I appreciate it.
You're welcome! Enjoi!
Old 10-02-13, 11:35 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Better? What are you using now? I like the panaracer pasela tourguard 70x35 on my crosscheck. 1 flat in four years. Your roads my vary.
Old 10-02-13, 11:42 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Um... It's the total mass of the wheels, bike, and rider that matter. When accelerating, you count the mass of the tires twice, but this is still only a couple percent.

If it were the mass of the the that mattered, then it would be hard to get up to speed, but easier to maintain it, and yet we never hear anybody describe this benefit of heavy tires.

The composition of a tire makes a huge difference. Weight, not so much.
Right but if the bike and ride are not the variable then it's a wash. Bike is same, rider is same, change tires. Therefore the tires themselves can be discussed as the factor.
Old 10-02-13, 12:34 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Right but if the bike and ride are not the variable then it's a wash. Bike is same, rider is same, change tires. Therefore the tires themselves can be discussed as the factor.
Absolutely correct.

But it's the size of the effect that I'm pointing out. 200g difference over 50 kg total weight isn't a big effect. Rolling resistance changes from different types of tire matierials/pressures make a much bigger difference.

From an experimental point of view, these two properties (weight and rolling resistance) are hard to disentangle as heavier tires usually have higher rolling resistance.

The main point is that what a lot of people attribute to a "heavier tire" is really not because the tire is heavier, but rolls more poorly.
Old 10-02-13, 12:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
There are (what I consider) lots of hills where I ride.

When riding up a hill at a constant speed, additional weight of wheels is equivalent to additional weight anywhere on the bike/rider. So I'm not sure how to explain your experiences (except that on flat land, your biggest resistance is probably going to be air resistance and when your climbing hills, you're now in a regime where rolling resistance becomes more important).
LIVE WEB CAM

Old 10-02-13, 01:26 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Absolutely correct.

But it's the size of the effect that I'm pointing out. 200g difference over 50 kg total weight isn't a big effect. Rolling resistance changes from different types of tire matierials/pressures make a much bigger difference.

From an experimental point of view, these two properties (weight and rolling resistance) are hard to disentangle as heavier tires usually have higher rolling resistance.

The main point is that what a lot of people attribute to a "heavier tire" is really not because the tire is heavier, but rolls more poorly.
Fair enough and I see your point now. And... I agree!
Old 10-02-13, 01:39 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Absolutely correct.

LIVE WEB CAM

Old 10-02-13, 01:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by chaadster
LIVE WEB CAM
Wow, you lost a lot of weight between those two web-cam shots!