Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

I need advice on a carry along kit?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 10:44 PM
RubenAlonzo

Bikes: Scott Aspect 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone, as I have just ordered new bars and a rack bag for my PJ (Panama Jack), I was hoping I could get some advice on a kit to carry along for emergencies or breakdowns.

I was thinking of a tire pump, a spare tube or some form of "goop" for flats, maybe a reflective vest, a raincoat and spare batteries for the strobes I have on her and some basic tools?

For those of you that have bags or panniers, what do you carry in them for flats or emergencies?
Old 01-18-15, 12:27 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I carry a multi blade screw driver, a pair of pliers and a small adjustable wrench in a seat bag. These tools have always been enough for minor problems, anything bigger will require a workshop to fix.

Oh yes, A lime green safety belt is a must have. Wear it every time you ride!

Robot Check

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Last edited by Nightshade; 01-18-15 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-18-15, 02:33 PM
RubenAlonzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Nightshade, man you're not kidding, those belts are BRIGHT LOL!!!!
Old 01-19-15, 06:07 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
i usually try to stick some kind of bag on my cruisers, but usually the only thing for sure in them is a poncho. one bike has a small pump, but no patches. some bikes have slime in the tubes.

for tools mainly i carry a leatherman type pouch on my belt, so whatever bike i'm on (or motorcycle, walking etc), i have it with me. it has the vice grip version of a leatherman and a 6" adjustable wrench in it (the wrench goes where a mini mag light should go), along with a couple other little multi type wrenches i picked up along the way. barring a catastopic break, they're usually enough to get me home.
Old 01-19-15, 06:12 PM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Oh yes, A lime green safety belt is a must have. Wear it every time you ride!

Robot Check
i like reflective tape. if i want a certain color i usually just check ebay and search for "reflective tape _____" (fill in color), and see what comes up. if you don't get too out there with the bike color, sometimes the tape will match up pretty good, so it's only noticeable when it's reflecting.
Old 01-19-15, 06:18 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Spare tube + patch kit, pump and/or inflators, tire tools + multi tool and
water bottle cage, water bottle.
Old 01-20-15, 02:46 PM
Bholio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Look the bike over and see how many wrenches it takes to deal with each fastener. It might not be too many. On my mountain bike a single folding hex tool covers all of them. I then add a tube, tire levers, patch kit, pump, chain tool.

I realize a cruiser probably has a more diverse set of nuts, bolts and screws, but see what it would take to cover all of them. Then filter out the ones which are unlikely to cause problems. On an old cruiser you might just replace the hex tool with a box wrench or adjustable wrench.

The most likely problem will be a flat tire. A patch kit will get you going, unless the problem is near the valve. It is a real pain to patch on the road however, and sometimes the patch needs a little time to 'take'. A tube replacement requires the wheel to come off, so if you bring a tube, also bring a wrench for the wheels unless you have quick release.

Another common issue is the need/desire to alter the seat height. Nice to be able to do that.

A broken chain will end your ride unless you have a chain tool to remove the broken link, but if the bike is set up such that you cannot make it work with a shorter chain, then there is no point in bringing the chain tool, unless you also bring extra chain links. A bent chain link stranded me recently on my shopping bike, but the chain tool saved my day on at least one other occasion.

I like to make sure I can handle a flat, and have the ability to tighten things which might rattle loose like handlebars, seat, cranks, bottle holder, rack, etc.

Or leave all of it at home and carry a phone.
Old 01-22-15, 11:18 PM
RubenAlonzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bholio
Look the bike over and see how many wrenches it takes to deal with each fastener. It might not be too many. On my mountain bike a single folding hex tool covers all of them. I then add a tube, tire levers, patch kit, pump, chain tool.

I realize a cruiser probably has a more diverse set of nuts, bolts and screws, but see what it would take to cover all of them. Then filter out the ones which are unlikely to cause problems. On an old cruiser you might just replace the hex tool with a box wrench or adjustable wrench.

The most likely problem will be a flat tire. A patch kit will get you going, unless the problem is near the valve. It is a real pain to patch on the road however, and sometimes the patch needs a little time to 'take'. A tube replacement requires the wheel to come off, so if you bring a tube, also bring a wrench for the wheels unless you have quick release.

Another common issue is the need/desire to alter the seat height. Nice to be able to do that.

A broken chain will end your ride unless you have a chain tool to remove the broken link, but if the bike is set up such that you cannot make it work with a shorter chain, then there is no point in bringing the chain tool, unless you also bring extra chain links. A bent chain link stranded me recently on my shopping bike, but the chain tool saved my day on at least one other occasion.

I like to make sure I can handle a flat, and have the ability to tighten things which might rattle loose like handlebars, seat, cranks, bottle holder, rack, etc.

Or leave all of it at home and carry a phone.
Thanks all for the advice, and to you specifically Bholio for dumbing it down to a simple basic need. I will pack a 2pc. rain suit and a flat tire kit along with some assorted bike hex wrench/pliers. My new rack pack seems to have all manner of compartments where I can stow them without affecting the main compartment. Cheers!!