Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 02:14 PM
granite4brains

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5 Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling Jackets

Hello,

I've been using my light-weight Marmot hiking shell for some time while cycling, but I really want to get more visible and get a proper cycling jacket with a bright yellow color. I started looking at Gore cycling jackets and one other brand (whose name is slipping my mind at the moment) and the first thing I noticed is that none of these cycling jackets have zip pits! This is standard on hiking apparel and I use them a ton while cycling too.

Is there any good cycling jackets that come with zip pits?

Also, can anyone recommend good lights for the bike too?
Old 02-20-15, 03:00 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://www.showerspass.com/product-category/jackets

This company, which I have no experience with, took over the clothing line that was Burley Cycles. The Pacific Northwest is known for crazy wet weather, year round, cycling and Portland OR, where the company is based, is the heart of the local bike culture.

Don't expect low prices, but quality is top notch.
Old 02-20-15, 03:10 PM
granite4brains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi cale,

Those do look like nice jackets, but I am actually out in the desert, so the exact opposite climate ;-) Sorry probably should have specified. Looking for more of a wind-stopper shell now I guess, because after talking to GORE it sounds like most waterproof cycling shells won't have pit zips. To get the pit zips, sounds like I need to go more for a windstopper, water resistant jacket, which should work great in my climate anyhow. GORE only had one that didn't seem to have the best reviews

If anybody can recommend something along those lines, that would be great!

Thanks
Old 02-20-15, 03:11 PM
granite4brains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and I also found the CatsEye and Niterider lights. Both look nice. Anybody prefer one over the other for any particular reason?
Old 02-20-15, 03:19 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I bought a Showers Pass Elite 2.1 for a rain jacket, but I have ended up using it as my main winter cycling jacket, rain or dry. What makes this jacket so nice is its breathability, so you don't sweat nearly as much as with other jackets I have used. It is made from Event fabric, which is comparable to Goretex but supposedly even more breathable. It also has large pit zips and a back vent, as well as sleeves with velcro straps that allow you to adjust the armholes for more air. Available in black, golden yellow, blue or red. If you shop around on-line, it's not hard to find on sale.
Old 02-20-15, 03:21 PM
ghause

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Castelli Gabba2 has gills along the abdomen. You can get it with removable arms too.
Old 02-20-15, 03:58 PM
granite4brains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really liking the looks of that Showers Pass Eilte 2.1. Didn't notice the pit zips on it at first, either. Thanks a bunch guys, I think this might be the one for me. I also like the Golden Rod color. Visible, yet not as insanely bright as the almost florescent yellow on some jackets
Old 02-20-15, 04:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Burly was a worker owned Co Operative in cottage grove and Eugene , they went into Bankruptcy ..

the Showers pass company is in Portland Oregon the fact that they are both on the same river may be all there is in Common.

to sell in Shops they went to Asia for the sewing work the Private Burley trailer went to another Asian labor source .
That being said I have an end of the line burly Co op sewn jacket and pants 3 layer fabric delaminated , so it goes..

I got a Showers pass Portland Jacket , but they are tweedy grey ..

For bright I wear a ANSI reflective striped Parka from Carhartt , its a rugged neon-lime, like the tow truck driver would wear.

its not a roadie jacket. I have a yellow one in my closet I got trom Sierra Trading Post their inventory changes as they buy overstocks and closeouts

last ACA magazine I saw an ad for seemewear Windbreaker Cycling Jersey | See Me Wear

make of it what you will .. it is something hard to ignore its there.
Old 02-20-15, 07:56 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I have an SP Double Century (similar to the Elite). I've used it more to mitigate wind chill than to keep rain off, in temps down into the 20s.

Keith
Old 02-21-15, 02:05 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by granite4brains
Hello,

I've been using my light-weight Marmot hiking shell for some time while cycling, but I really want to get more visible and get a proper cycling jacket with a bright yellow color. I started looking at Gore cycling jackets and one other brand (whose name is slipping my mind at the moment) and the first thing I noticed is that none of these cycling jackets have zip pits! This is standard on hiking apparel and I use them a ton while cycling too.

Is there any good cycling jackets that come with zip pits?

Also, can anyone recommend good lights for the bike too?
Look into "visibility belts" like the military use for on base ground activity. Allow you to wear any clothing you wish and still be highly visible to traffic.

Amazon.com: visibility belts

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?